iPhoto '09 - beachball

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
SO i've updated my iPhotos to '09. It's about 20GB in size. When I try to do things like scroll or enter info, I get the beachball. It's getting annoying.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Has iPhoto finished building the faces and events database after updating?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Do you have enough RAM in that Mac? What Mac is it anyway? With which OS version? There aren't 20 other applications running at the same time?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Yep i just realized that it was probably building the faces and events database bc it's not doing it anymore.

It's a MacBook Pro 17" with 8GB RAM.

So, how long does it take for faces to find similar faces for iPhoto with about 5900 pictures?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I have over 10,000 photos and it either beachballs or just stalls doing nothing whenever I do anything related to faces (go to faces, double-click on a face). And I have a pretty new Macbook so it is not running slow hardware. Check the activity monitor and iPhoto activity is way up, often indicating iPhoto is not responding. Kinda painful.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Try restarting your Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    If iPhoto is not responding (in Activity Monitor) it's better to try and Force Quit it first, before doing a restart – be it soft or hard.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

If iPhoto is not responding (in Activity Monitor) it's better to try and Force Quit it first, before doing a restart ? be it soft or hard.

With iPhoto, there is no need to force quit when it says not responding, just let it do what it needs to do (with faces) and it will come back. And I wish restarting would help but all it would just add wait time to the already slow photo app. Just have to get use to the slowness.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

Yep i just realized that it was probably building the faces and events database bc it's not doing it anymore.

It's a MacBook Pro 17" with 8GB RAM.

So, how long does it take for faces to find similar faces for iPhoto with about 5900 pictures?

I have no idea how long it takes, I don't recall. I just let it do its stuff. It doesn't beach ball on me now. It updates the database whenever new photos are added and that is pretty fast.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

If iPhoto is not responding (in Activity Monitor) it's better to try and Force Quit it first, before doing a restart – be it soft or hard.

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that he restart the Mac while iPhoto was trying to process. He was saying that iPhoto stalls whenever he does anything related to faces. This could be due to virtual memory swap files, and restarting the Mac is the only way to get rid of them. You're right, iPhoto should be quit first -- OSX would cancel the restart if iPhoto could not be quit normally anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Have you had any other slow down with other iLife products? Ironically for me, iLife '09 had cured the slowdowns that made '08 unusable to me.