Purported shots of Microsoft's touchscreen device revealed

Comments

• Reply 101 of 224
    It's a cool concept on that animation, but I seriously doubt Microsoft can pull this off early next year. If the internet browser is half as good as the one shown in real world, you would expect something better than the one they put on Zune HD. Microsoft tends to wow everyone before it launches any product, like Surface, Vista, younameit so I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 102 of 224
    If MS doesn't screw up the user experience, this is the perfect vehicle for digital books.
  • Reply 103 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why are you here? You haven't said anything useful yet. All this ranting about how Apple is screwed.

We know you would like to see that happen. Why don't you go to a PC forum and say it? Have they kicked you off there?

I don't know about the others but I'm not spelling doom for Apple. I'm just being extremely wary about the situation. And if Steve Jobs is smart (and we all know he is) he should now be EXTREMELY WARY about this development.

I hope to gawd that Jobs knows what he's doing with this project. I hope he hasn't underestimated it's importance to his company and the tech industry as a whole. And I hope he hasn't underestimated the competition. He singlehandedly embarassed the entire mobile industry with the original iphone.

The mobile industry (including Microsoft) doesn't want that to happen again!
  • Reply 104 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I don't know about the others but I'm not spelling doom for Apple. I'm just being extremely wary about the situation. And if Steve Jobs is smart (and we all know he is) he should now be EXTREMELY WARY about this development.

I hope the gawd that Jobs knows what he's doing with this project. I hope he hasn't underestimated it's importance to his company and the tech industry. And I hope he hasn't underestimated the competition. He singlehandedly embarassed the entire mobile industry with the original iphone.

They don't want that to happen again!

why should he be wary? does this device look remotely interesting to anyone and appealing to the eyes, as the iphone?

when videos like these of prototypes surface, one has to remember that microsoft is after all...a company that SELLS...(crap)...their CEO is a sales person...
  • Reply 105 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Am I the only one that realizes that this NonVendorFan always comes in at the beginning, spews a bunch of garbage, then is no where to be found? I swear this is probably the tenth thread I've seen this happen.

Probably because I have a life and rarely spend that much time in these rooms.

I prefer to read Ars Technica because it's unbiased reporting and covers all OS's and mobile. The writing is great and the overall input to the articles are constructive.

The Apple articles aren't full of Nut Jobs praising the ground Steve Jobs walks on and don't generally believe everything that Apple spews.

I hit all the rooms Mac/PC and Open Source in about 1/2 and hour to an hour every few days. Debating what color the next iAnything is and wishing Balmer from MS would die isn't a part of my daily habits.
  • Reply 106 of 224
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Why yes, yes I am.

Sorry, I think more in specifics than in generalizations from areas that don't necessarily apply.

IMHO, it will be difficult to make a reliable signal-carrying hinge that swivels 180 degrees, with the flexibility to open even wider. This "thing" should be capable of withstanding being opened far more often than a laptop.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have any problems making one -- out of PLASTIC no less...

• Reply 107 of 224
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

Two screens with different functions! Years ago I was thinking one would be color and HD and meant for images/video, while the other would be for touch typing or writing with stylus and possibly eInk.

The thing about two screens with different functions is.... it's just as easy (maybe easier) to replicate that with just ONE screen using software alone.

I agree (if everyone else can put away the vapour vs real and Msoft vs Apple talk for a second) that the Gizmodo demo looks great. But it's great because the Journal style app shown works well as a book format. So would an eBook reader app.

What will it look like when you want to watch a movie or look at your photos? Everything will be HALF the size... unless you don't mind a one inch gutter down the middle. Same goes for any application where you might want to view and edit a larger image or document. What's a web page going to look like? Just smaller, on one screen, or cut in half on two?

The only advantage I see to the book format is that you get a smaller footprint when it's closed. Only when it's closed.

You mentioned paperbacks. Well yes, a closed "Courier" might be around the size of a small paperback novel. However a larger slate style device need only be the size of a slightly larger paperback. eg. I have a Visual Quickstart Guide from Peachpit Press on my desk. It's only nine inches by seven. Could easy fit a nine inch screen (maybe 10 at a squeeze) in a device that size.
  • Reply 108 of 224
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I like the split home button that folds in the middle yet has no seam. Amazing technology. Should be here by Thanksgiving.

Although I found this funny, it seems you are wrong now that I've looked into it:

The bit in the middle is the frame, the hinge folds around it. It's sort of like the binding in a book. The product looks amazing, would like to see the real thing.
  • Reply 109 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I prefer to read Ars Technica because it's unbiased reporting and covers all OS's and mobile. The writing is great and the overall input to the articles are constructive.

Read more and try to comprehend. It doesn't show in your posts here.
  • Reply 110 of 224
    Pen Dominated = Fail
  • Reply 111 of 224
    As Steve Ballmer has said, "It doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard, which makes it not a very good email machine"
  • Reply 112 of 224
    I'd like to see the real things as well and not an animation of "the real thing"
  • Reply 113 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Probably because I have a life and rarely spend that much time in these rooms.

The Apple articles aren't full of Nut Jobs praising the ground Steve Jobs walks on and don't generally believe everything that Apple spews.

I hit all the rooms Mac/PC and Open Source in about 1/2 and hour to an hour every few days. Debating what color the next iAnything is and wishing Balmer from MS would die isn't a part of my daily habits.

Do you make naive comments on every thread on major websites? I've been reading your comments on the last few stories and you don't know what you're talking about. In thread on HTML5 you got many things wrong. When those things got pointed out to you, you changed your arguments and made new ones that were equally ridiculous. When legitimate questions were posed to you, you did not bother to answer them.

In this thread you make equally ridiculous claims. Why is it a big deal that a rumor that Palm will be brought out by Nokia? It's another nonsensical comment that you are posting. The Pre's haven't been selling very well and while they've beat expectations, it was only because they were set so low. Nobody has been switching providers to get this device or leaving the iPhone for that matter. Do you really believe that while Nokia is building up their OS and their Ovi app store that they are suddenly going to adapt the WebOS platform on all their upcoming devices and dump their lousy OS in which they've already poured millions of dollars into research for? If Nokia ever bought Palm's WebOS it would likely be restricted to Palm's products for the foreseeable future and create a more fractured Nokia brand than there already is.

As for your comments on the Surface, it's already considered by many people to be a failure. It has had many issues with stability with software, extremely expensive and has outdated hardware in the way it uses multitouch. You like to say that Apple overcharges for everything. Because Snow Leopard was such a cheap upgrade, Microsoft has had to reduce the upgrade price for Windows 7 with the catch being it's only for students. The whole visual Windows 7 experience is basically copying Mac OS and we've had it for years and at a much cheaper price.

BTW exactly how much do you think a multitouch tablet with two screens, using bleeding edge tech will cost? Microsoft doesn't charge cheap prices for their OS either. Chances are it will be well out of your price range and most people's as well unless they are willing to cut costs on hardware.
  • Reply 114 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

As Steve Ballmer has said, "It doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard, which makes it not a very good email machine"

haha. People have Blackberrys for email now though.
  • Reply 115 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

yes, but that's even a distorted projection of success at that! Companies very deliberately (sometimes) create a false sense of success by creating their own demand by producing fewer than demand. By doing this they can create buzz about how they "sold out in just 8 hours of being released"...yeah, because you didn't make enough in the first place and now everyone wants one because they think it's the new hot item on demand and they all need to be on a waiting list for it...

except in this case, apple's 1 product has a 30% market share in the smart phone market and as they ramp up production, they use that capacity to expand into other countries. In addition, between the iPhone and iPods, Apple already uses the majority of the world wide flash ram capacity, creating a world wide shortage in NAND ram. So in this case, there is a constraint on just how fast Apple can make more iPhones.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090914PD204.html
  • Reply 116 of 224
    Nice video to demo a bunch of touch UI concepts that have been in play for several years now. However:

Its clearly not a real product or anything near.

Its clearly a spoiler to keep the troops morale up before the Apple launch

Microsoft are not going to manufacture it - they are hoping one of their 'partners' will

Does anybody think that MS could actually develop a UI that smooth? (more accurately, manage the development)

At least two years out ie. a year too late.
  • Reply 117 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally626 View Post

Apple had this idea a long time ago.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4928842683632#

It was called the Knowledge Navigator. Everything is a little larger and clunkier than Ives would design today, but it is a folding computer with two screens in a portable format.

That guy in Apple's "KN" tablet (not the actual human), kind of reminds me of AT&T's video guy. The only dif, the Apple guy is not tilting his head!
  • Reply 118 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Although I found this funny, it seems you are wrong now that I've looked into it:

The bit in the middle is the frame, the hinge folds around it. It's sort of like the binding in a book. The product looks amazing, would like to see the real thing.

Glass on glass or monitor on monitor, let's hope no FOD gets in there to scratch things up...
  • Reply 119 of 224
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Merely just making corrections.

Redundancy there. (Just making corrections).
  • Reply 120 of 224
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Pen Dominated = Fail

You may have a point. But you don't yet know if it is Pen Dominated. It may handle fingers equally well. We'll see.