AT&T activates MMS for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS users

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After months of waiting, AT&T finally enabled multimedia messaging functionality for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS users Friday afternoon, as promised.



The capability came just after 1 p.m. Eastern Time, meeting the time announced earlier this week. Accordingly, Apple has created a support page detailing the process. Activation of MMS requires iPhone OS 3.1 and a carrier settings update from iTunes. Apple has provided the following steps for users:



1. Make sure that you have a working Internet connection on your computer and that you are using iTunes 8.2 or later.



2. Connect iPhone to the computer and open iTunes.



3. Select your iPhone in the Devices list and click "Check for Update."



4. Click "Update Settings" when prompted.





5. When the update is complete, you will see the following screen:





6. Restart your iPhone.

After iPhone restarts, verify MMS is active by creating a new text message. You should see the camera icon to the left of the text field:







The update enables users to send pictures and videos via the phone's messaging application. MMS is not available for the first-generation iPhone. More information on MMS is available through the iPhone user guide.



When bought in bulk, MMS uses the standard text messaging plan available for AT&T. Individuals can purchase 200 messages per month for $5, 1,500 messages for $15, or unlimited messages for $20. FamilyTalk users can get unlimited messaging for $30 per month. On a pay-per-use basis, text messages are 20 cents, while picture and video messages cost 30 cents.



Also Friday, the nation's second-largest wireless carrier updated its pricing for a refurbished iPhone 3G. The 8GB model is now available for $49, while the 16GB refurbished will run buyers $99. The low-end model is available only in black, while the other is available in both black and white. Customers can use AT&T's Web site to find a local store.
«13456789

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 176
    I sure hope its snappy...
  • Reply 2 of 176
    1: Its about time

    2: How much does a MMS pic recieved and sent cost? How much does a MMS video recieved and sent cost?
  • Reply 3 of 176
    I'm travelling today with no access to my computer. I can't update until Monday!!!

    I am not happy.
  • Reply 4 of 176
    Requires iPhone OS 3.1 eh? Hmmm, should I sacrifice my 3.0-based tethering, or upgrade for MMS? I'll stick with tethering and no application-genius thank you very much lol.
  • Reply 5 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post


    1: Its about time

    2: How much does a MMS pic recieved and sent cost? How much does a MMS video recieved and sent cost?



    If you don't already have a messaging plan, I believe it is .30 to send and receive. And I think free if you do have a messaging plan.
  • Reply 6 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post


    2: How much does a MMS pic recieved and sent cost? How much does a MMS video recieved and sent cost?



    According to AT&T, it's part of the unlimited data plan.
  • Reply 7 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post


    According to AT&T, it's part of the unlimited data plan.



    Are you sure about that? Do you have a link? I thought it was free with a separate MESSAGING plan.
  • Reply 8 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    Are you sure about that? Do you have a link? I thought it was free with a separate MESSAGING plan.



    That is what I read, too. An SMS and MMS cost a single message.
  • Reply 9 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    Are you sure about that? Do you have a link? I thought it was free with a separate MESSAGING plan.



    It's not part of the DATA plan. It is separate. It's called the MESSAGING MMS/SMS plan. I have it- cost $15 more per month for unlimited MMS/SMS.
  • Reply 10 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    Are you sure about that? Do you have a link? I thought it was free with a separate MESSAGING plan.



    It's part of your regular messaging plan, it count's as a regular txt message, there no additional fee to send pics / video
  • Reply 11 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post


    1: Its about time

    2: How much does a MMS pic recieved and sent cost? How much does a MMS video recieved and sent cost?



    MMS is included in your text plan if you have one.



    What I'd like to know is if I can update my phone using my work computer without "syncing" it to that computer. I sold my previous MacBook Pro and my new 13" MBP is scheduled to be delivered on Monday. We're going on a trip this weekend and it would be fun to the MMS capability to play with while on the trip.
  • Reply 12 of 176
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    it works
  • Reply 13 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    It's not part of the DATA plan. It is separate. It's called the MESSAGING MMS/SMS plan. I have it- cost $15 more per month for unlimited MMS/SMS.



    Yes, that's what I thought....it's part of a messaging plan, not the data plan.



    Now the question is what if you don't have a messaging plan? And what if you don't want to incur the cost of RECEIVING an MMS message? But what if you want to still occasionally send a text message? Can AT&T turn off MMS on your account but still allow you to send/receive SMS?
  • Reply 14 of 176
    It appears that to receive the pic in text the other user must be updated also
  • Reply 15 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    Yes, that's what I thought....it's part of a messaging plan, not the data plan.



    Now the question is what if you don't have a messaging plan? And what if you don't want to incur the cost of RECEIVING an MMS message? But what if you want to still occasionally send a text message? Can AT&T turn off MMS on your account but still allow you to send/receive SMS?



    I think it's one way or the highway. Parents usually use it to shut the kids off from their friends (the poor things). I would suggest calling AT&T.
  • Reply 16 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imixitup View Post


    It appears that to receive the pic in text the other user must be updated also



    Well that makes sense.
  • Reply 17 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post


    What I'd like to know is if I can update my phone using my work computer without "syncing" it to that computer. I sold my previous MacBook Pro and my new 13" MBP is scheduled to be delivered on Monday. We're going on a trip this weekend and it would be fun to the MMS capability to play with while on the trip.



    I'd like to know this as well. What if I go into an AT&T store - can they do it?
  • Reply 18 of 176
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    I'd like to know this as well. What if I go into an AT&T store - can they do it?



    They can. Will they? Don't know. Any computer running iTunes 8.2+ and a USB dock cable is all you need. No syncing required.



    Oh and I guess you need to be running OS 3.1 according to a post above.
  • Reply 19 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    They can. Will they? Don't know. Any computer running iTunes 8.2+ and a USB dock cable is all you need. No syncing required.



    Oh and I guess you need to be running OS 3.1 according to a post above.



    not sure if it's the update to 3.1 alone or the carrier update as well
  • Reply 20 of 176
    Finally!!! Yesss!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.