A really cheap Mac. (Total Mac noob.)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
(Please no bashing, or propaganda to get me to buy a Mac, just please answer my question.) Okay, I've been using Windows ever since I was born, and I hope to continue to do so. My friend recently got an iMac and I gave it a whirl, and to be honest I don't think it's as good as Windows. However, I discovered it does have a few worthwhile exclusive programs. I've been thinking that I may want to buy a really basic Mac that can JUST do those programs, but use my current PC as my main. Being a total Apple noob, I need some advice here.



Assistance is appreciated.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    What are the programs you want to use?
  • Reply 2 of 11
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Buy cheap, get cheap.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    store.apple.com



    There are PowerMacs (way expensive), iMacs, Macbooks, and the Mac mini... the prices are even listed... find the cheapest one and buy it (if you really want to.) How hard is that?

    Exactly what is it you need help with again???
  • Reply 5 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    I think aresee's is the relevant question: what programs?



    It may be that an extremely cheap used Mac would fit the bill, but without knowing which programs it's impossible to say.



    Just assuming that some of them are Intel only, or that the OP wants to run at least Leopard, and that none of the software in question involves 3D modeling or batch video processing, I would figure that a refurb Mini would be the best mix of cheap/current/warranteed.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    store.apple.com



    There are PowerMacs (way expensive), iMacs, Macbooks, and the Mac mini... the prices are even listed... find the cheapest one and buy it (if you really want to.) How hard is that?

    Exactly what is it you need help with again???



    Maybe he doesn't need a new one? He could get a much cheaper second-hand Mac off eBay. As addabox says, whether or not he can get away with an older Mac depends upon which programs he wants to run.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Mainly I wanna run GarageBand, but there's a few others. Basically I want my PC to be my main computer (Mainly for internet and gaming.) and my Mac for media.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JEV4 View Post


    Mainly I wanna run GarageBand, but there's a few others. Basically I want my PC to be my main computer (Mainly for internet and gaming.) and my Mac for media.



    So save yourself the expense of TWO computers: get an Intel Mac (new or second hand) and run both MacOS and Windows on it. Simultaneously and side-by-side onscreen if you like. You'll have TWO computers for the price of one.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post


    So save yourself the expense of TWO computers: get an Intel Mac (new or second hand) and run both MacOS and Windows on it. Simultaneously and side-by-side onscreen if you like. You'll have TWO computers for the price of one.



    The better bet is to just buy a Mac Mini and get a KVM switch to flip between the Mac and PC without having to add an extra monitor, mouse and keyboard for the Mac. Apple made the Mini its cheapest computer for just that -- attracting switchers. Go look for a Mac Mini on Craigslist and make sure it has the Intel chip rather than G3/4. At the very least, if you can't get the hang of Mac OS X, you can convert an Intel Mac Mini to a Windows box or file server.



    BTW, I too had been a lifelong Windows user and I had to control my Mac lust during the waning days of the G3/G4. I waited until 2006 when the Intel Macs came back and I haven't looked back. Too many viruses and malware on the PC. Sure I still have a Windows XP desktop for legacy PC apps like Quicken and rippers, but my MacBook Pro has been my main squeeze.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SFSwitcher View Post


    I still have a Windows XP desktop for legacy PC apps like Quicken and rippers, but my MacBook Pro has been my main squeeze.



    Why don't you run Quicken and rippers on your MBP? Either natively under XP in BootCamp, or in a virtual machine? Or even under CrossOver? Altogether without Windows!



    The MBP is after all the fastest Vista running laptop on the market...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Used or new Mac Mini and a cheap monitor wherever you shop.



    Programs? Final Cut Pro perhaps. Garage Band as you said.
Sign In or Register to comment.