Database Design

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone know of some good books on Database design? I am looking for a good overview of the various types.Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick1138:

<strong>Does anyone know of some good books on Database design? I am looking for a good overview of the various types.Any information would be appreciated.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got an easy reader:

Database Design for Mere Mortals; Hernandez

It goes through how to approach relational database design, applicable to most databases. Enough practical tips to get you going with mySQL or something.

There was another one, rated full stars at Amazon, maybe "Designing Relational Databases" or something like that. It seemed like it was more in-depth and academic.

Amazon kind of sucks, but if a book has full stars and about 50+ reviews, it's probably a good one.

As far as types, I guess there's client/server (DB2, SQL, mySQL, PostgresSQL) or file based (Access).

There are important differences in the client server models, especially around transactions and so forth. mySQL is a great for the web since it's built for fast reads. SQL and PostgresSQL would be better for transactional processing. I guess Oracle/SQL/DB2 are more enterprise, and their price tags certainly testify to that.

Go read Oracle and M$ stuff on the their big offerings, then try the Postgres and mySQL websites for their take. The mySQL folks are pretty up front about what their db is not good at.