What HDD can I use for my iMac G5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Our iMac G5 has recently broken, and we have sourced the problem as the Hard Drive. Can someone give me confirmation that this Hard Drive will work in a 20 inch iMac G5.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124735

Thanks in advance,

Jammy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jammy View Post

Our iMac G5 has recently broken, and we have sourced the problem as the Hard Drive. Can someone give me confirmation that this Hard Drive will work in a 20 inch iMac G5.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124735

Thanks in advance,

Jammy

It might be... a quick look at the iMac G5 line showed me that they either were shipped with a 250 GB or 400 GB hard drive. I will try and look for the exact part if I can.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post

It might be... a quick look at the iMac G5 line showed me that they either were shipped with a 250 GB or 400 GB hard drive. I will try and look for the exact part if I can.

Well, they were shipped with other size HDDs as well, Winter. Depends on exactly which G5 iMac version we're talking.

• Reply 3 of 6
    jammyjammy Posts: 5member
    It's the 2.1GHz with an iSight.

It also shipped with a 250GB Maxtor 6L250M0.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jammy View Post

It's the 2.1GHz with an iSight.

It also shipped with a 250GB Maxtor 6L250M0.

Indeed. I just didn't want you to waste your money and get the wrong part. You seem to know what you need now though.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Er... It's just an HDD people. It doesn't have to be exactly the same model. It doesn't even have to be the same manufacturer. Just as long as it's the correct physical size (3.5") and interface (presumably ATA or was it SATA by then?) any HDD should work.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks for the help guys