Switching info to a new Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey, got a question. If I hook up my old ibook to my soon to be new Mini (waiting for the new ones) is there a way to transfer bookmarks from safari to safari? I wouldn't think there is because it will be an old version going to a new version but it would be alot easier than trying to get all my old bookmarks on the new Computer.

Also, will folders of pics and MPGs be able to be ported over?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    yes... super easy.

the first time you start up the new Mini, it'll ask you if you wnat to transfer info from another Mac and then walk you through the process.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Cool, thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    You'll need to hook them up with a cable though. The new Mini has Firewire 800 only and the old ibook Firewire 400. You can use an ethernet cable too.

If you don't setup the same account details, you can then create a computer-to-computer network over wifi. Then start the migration assistant to copy things over. You'd then migrate your entire home folder with your old details and settings.

Don't do this over standard wifi as it will take a while. The computer-to-computer method will get you the full wireless speed, which is about 1-2MB/s so 1GB of data will take just under 10 minutes.

If you have a lot of music and data though, say 60GB, it will take 10 hours to migrate. A gigabit ethernet cable or Firewire 800-400 cable is better in that case.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I'm surprised it can do this between different OS's, that's convenient. Will the bookmarks come through on Safari just as they are in my older Safari? When I tried importing them before just by using the import/export debug menu from one computer to another (copied the bookmarks on a thumbdrive) they just get added as a drop down part of the bookmark menu rather than actually going in as regular bookmarks.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Using "Migration Assistant" (the method the new OS prompts you to use), they should come across and show up just the way you have them now... In fact, nearly all System Preferences (and App Preferences) will be pre-set to the way you had them on the iBook.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Sounds great. I will definitely want to do that.

Can't wait for the new Mini to come out!

Any tips on a Monitor? Looking for no bigger than 20 inches.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

Sounds great. I will definitely want to do that.

Can't wait for the new Mini to come out!

Any tips on a Monitor? Looking for no bigger than 20 inches.

The cheapest IPS I have seen is the HP LP2065 20" but that one has a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The next one down would be the HP L2275W 22". It's a PVA display - not quite as good as an IPS but still very good quality. These types of monitor have much better viewing angles than TN so you don't get the colors inverting at extreme angles and they have better color reproduction - better black levels and gradients:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qij1a1VxVsA

There is a Samsung 20" PVA that is quite affordable - the F2080. It's only 1600 x 900 though. If you play movies a lot, it's great because you don't get any edges when playing movies but for most other things, you lose out on some desktop space.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The cheapest IPS I have seen is the HP LP2065 20" but that one has a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The next one down would be the HP L2275W 22". It's a PVA display - not quite as good as an IPS but still very good quality. These types of monitor have much better viewing angles than TN so you don't get the colors inverting at extreme angles and they have better color reproduction - better black levels and gradients:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qij1a1VxVsA

There is a Samsung 20" PVA that is quite affordable - the F2080. It's only 1600 x 900 though. If you play movies a lot, it's great because you don't get any edges when playing movies but for most other things, you lose out on some desktop space.

That's OK, I actually don't want a high native resolution monitor, my eyes prefer larger icons, etc. A lower res would actually be better for me. I've heard that response time should be 5ms or less for better video playback?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

That's OK, I actually don't want a high native resolution monitor, my eyes prefer larger icons, etc. A lower res would actually be better for me. I've heard that response time should be 5ms or less for better video playback?

The faster the better but they don't usually make high quality panels with fast response times. The Apple Cinema display has a 14ms response time due to it being IPS. The 8ms Samsung above should be fine.

TN panels can go as low as 2ms but you aren't likely to notice the difference. People who say you need a certain response time are the same kind of people who say they can tell a difference between 30fps gaming and 60fps.

One thing to watch is input lag. Here is a review of the F2080 and it seems the input lag is ok:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...0-f2380_5.html
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Intersting, so a 5ms response time won't make much of a difference than a 8ms response time?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Intersting, so a 5ms response time won't make much of a difference than a 8ms response time?

Not a difference you would notice no:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...ameters_3.html

"To cut it short, when the LCD matrix?s own response time is below 10 milliseconds, its further reduction brings a smaller effect than might be expected because the persistence of human vision enters the play as an important factor."

The real issue is that response times given by manufacturers typically aren't the response times you get due to other factors like input lag. You basically can't tell until you use the display if there's any lag/ghosting or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnApFzmd9NY

It's the same with the backlighting, you can't tell if you will get uneven backlighting until you see it in front of you. The only solid reference for a good display is the panel type IPS > PVA > TN. That order stays the same for price and reverse it for response time. PVA is a very good compromise for the best all-round.

I would say that you will more quickly recognize the quality flaws with a TN panel than any lag with an IPS or PVA display. Here is an example of the blacks on a future IPS screen:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...tra.dark.fast/
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Great info, thanks. Now I just need to find one that doesn't have a shiny frame-I hate glare!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Great info, thanks. Now I just need to find one that doesn't have a shiny frame-I hate glare!

Yeah, I can't stand glare either. It makes the casing look nice but it's distracting. The 3 displays mentioned above have matte bezels. The 16:9 Samsung is the cheapest:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1333&Tpk=f2080
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah, I can't stand glare either. It makes the casing look nice but it's distracting. The 3 displays mentioned above have matte bezels. The 16:9 Samsung is the cheapest:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1333&Tpk=f2080

Thanks for the link, just wish the resolution was lower