iMac will sport a performance boost! (logically)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
There's no way this isn't a performance boost. The face that it'll be thinner means nothing because of the following logic:

1) The iMac wouldn't undergo an exterior makeover and then revert or get much fatter within a few months whenever the next revision comes out (average time to revise = 220 days via macrumors).

2) Therefore, the new shell of the iMac will stick around for a while. This is a given.

3) The iMac MUST upgrade its components significantly before 220 days from now. C'mon... it's gotta happen.

4) Therefore, the new iMac design will have room for better components, because it needs to be able to upgrade in future iterations.

5) That destroys logic that thinner means it'll overheat or limit performance. Apple designers have found a way to work around this.

Finally, it's time for hardware to be bumped up a bit. They have the room somehow. I can't wait to see how they did it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Core-i7 Clarksfield won't get any hotter than what they have now as they are still mobile chips.

PC manufacturers are already putting these into fairly slim laptops. HP's 15" Envy has a 1.6GHz quad, up to 16GB DDR3, a 1GB Mobility Radeon HD 4830 and room for 2 x SSD drives.

If Apple can't match that spec even in their 20" iMac, they are doing something very wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Based on the so-called "iMac Air" mentioned in the other thread, I have a feeling Apple is going to try and replicate the MBA in desktop form, with obviously better graphics and (possibly i7) CPU. If HP is doing it in their MBP look-alikes, then there's no reason for Apple not to do it in a AIO where they don't have to worry about a battery taking up space, plus they have additional space afforded by the larger screen. I don't pretend to be an engineer, but it seems like it could be pulled off. And this is Apple we're talking about here, they have a reputation for packing more computer into less space.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    rkswbrkswb Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

Based on the so-called "iMac Air" mentioned in the other thread, I have a feeling Apple is going to try and replicate the MBA in desktop form, with obviously better graphics and (possibly i7) CPU. If HP is doing it in their MBP look-alikes, then there's no reason for Apple not to do it in a AIO where they don't have to worry about a battery taking up space, plus they have additional space afforded by the larger screen. I don't pretend to be an engineer, but it seems like it could be pulled off. And this is Apple we're talking about here, they have a reputation for packing more computer into less space.

I am an engineer. And I agree with your response, which goes against the general consensus by saying that there WILL be a performance boost despite using a thinner body.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Core-i7 Clarksfield won't get any hotter than what they have now as they are still mobile chips.

PC manufacturers are already putting these into fairly slim laptops. HP's 15" Envy has a 1.6GHz quad, up to 16GB DDR3, a 1GB Mobility Radeon HD 4830 and room for 2 x SSD drives.

If Apple can't match that spec even in their 20" iMac, they are doing something very wrong.

Amen.

Quote:

*nods.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Better CPU/GPU and *maybe* more than 4GB (but i'll bet still only 2 slots... so you'd have to pony up for 2x4GB modules!)

I don't see Apple offering more than one HDD in an iMac though... just not their style.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Better components are not necessarily hotter components (especially with the progression of time), and a performance increase can be as small as a "special" 3.2/3.33 GHz dual-core Penryn.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    c64c64 Posts: 33member
    i don't see the i7 for there next cpu.they are always a cpu generation behind when it comes to the imac, they put the latest in the mac pro.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

no e-net and only 1 usb port on a desktop will not work. You need a lot more ports for a desktop.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

no e-net and only 1 usb port on a desktop will not work. You need a lot more ports for a desktop.

Well yeah. I was talking form, not connectivity. Naturally you need more ports on a desktop.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c64 View Post

i don't see the i7 for there next cpu.they are always a cpu generation behind when it comes to the imac, they put the latest in the mac pro.

I assume they will have some kind of boost though, even if it's not i7. Maybe they'll keep the core 2 duos in order to preserve use of Nvidia GPU's, though.

This would make sense because most people who use an iMac rely more on a solid video card rather than a quad-core processor....
  • Reply 11 of 12
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    The next iMac revision if it happens this year will still use Core 2 Duo because Core 2 Quad may be too hot except on the highest end 28" or something. Apple will still want to use the 9400M chipset which cannot be used with Core i7 mobile/etc. (Correct me if I am wrong?)

Next year iMacs probably will eventually have Arrandale [?] with Intel chipsets and Intel integrated graphics (yes, bend over and get ready) ... or discrete GPUs on the higher end iMacs.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    palplepalple Posts: 35member
    This next iMac revision may very well sporty the new Core 2 Quads processors because they are cool enough to use in the iMacs (as cool as the current Core 2 Duo processors, if you also take into account the separate controller chip), and also they are slower than the Xeons used in the Mac Pros.

Of course they cannot use the nVidia chipset anymore, but this is not a big problem, and there were also past rumors of Apple wanting to abandon them nonetheless.