blue & white G3 noises

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
After the ususal start up sounds my blue & white G3 is now making a loud noise. It sounds like a fan-noise, but now is accelerating and slowing down. The noise is erratic and the machine sounds sick. Is it dying? I know the machine is old but it has been very reliable. I only use it for accounting, not the web. I have 9.2 OS, gave up on converting to OSX, so I gave up on internet. I just want to be able to track my business stuff on this computer. When this noise happens I just turn it off. I'm afraid I will lose everthing. I have it backed up, but don't have another Mac to switch to. I need to know if there is a solution or is the thing just too old? I did open it up and blow out the dust, but it did not help this problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Keep in mind... this is an internet diagnoses!

I'd GUESS it's either the cooling fan or the HDD making the noise.

Either one could go on like that for years... or could finish itself off tomorrow.

Get a cheap external HDD and backup your important stuff (if not the entire system)... then keep it backed up. You may get another year out of it... but if it dies tomorrow, you'll have what you need backed up and ready to move to a new Mac (or a new internal HDD, if that's the problem.)