Apple again causes worldwide NAND flash shortage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Demand for flash memory has outstripped supply for major manufacturers, and the reason once again is said to be the popularity of Apple devices like the iPhone and iPod touch.

Demand for flash in the third quarter of 2009 exceeded supply by an estimated 1.3 percent, according to data from DRAMeXchange, as relayed by DigiTimes. That deficit is expected to grow to 3.3 percent during the coming holiday season, as manufacturers continue to favor Apple with their supply.

"Taiwan-based memory module houses are moving to diversify their NAND flash suppliers to minimize procurement risk, according to industry sources," the report said. "NAND flash supply has reportedly become tighter as major chip producers Samsung Electronics, Toshiba, Micron and Hynix Semiconductor favor demand for Apple devices."

While many module makers in Taiwan currently depend on Samsung for their flash memory supply, they are now likely to look elsewhere due to an expected shortage. The report suggests that IM Flash could get most of the new business.

Samsung is reportedly planning to launch two memory cards under its own brand, which has led people in the industry to believe that chip supply will not meet demand through November.

Demand for flash is expected to grow 81 percent in 2010, based on the growth of smartphone sales. Manufacturers are predicted to be able to meet that demand for the first half of the year.

However, by the end of 2010, DRAMeXchange expects demand to again outstrip supply. It estimates that supply will grow 79 percent next year, falling behind the growth in demand.

As demand has grown before the coming holiday season, so, too, have prices associated with NAND flash.

"Contract prices for mainstream 16GB and 32GB MLC NAND flash chips rose 7-8% and 8-14%, respectively, to average US$4.98 and US$7.68 in the first half of October, according to DRAMeXchange data," the report said. "The 64GB segment also saw a price rally of 6-13% to US$14.50 on average."

Those prices are higher than in September, when a 16GB chip was $4.48, and 32GB cost $6.80.

At that time, it was also reported that there was a "serious shortage" of NAND flash memory due to the popularity of Apple products. Manufacturers said they intended to limit the supply of memory to all companies other than Apple.

In September, Apple announced a number of new flash-based iPod offerings, including a 64GB iPod touch, its largest capacity flash-based player yet. It also introduced a new iPod nano that shoots video. It offers 8GB or 16GB of storage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Original content deleted due to Ballmer-like incompetence displayed by poster. Comment is now in the proper thread, the one about project Pink. Mea culpa.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

More signs of Ballmer incompetence. That's what happens when the primary qualification for CEO is "Is he the company founder's college buddy?" I have AAPL stock so I'm luvin' it.

Pretty sure you hit up the wrong thread
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

More signs of Ballmer incompetence. That's what happens when the primary qualification for CEO is "Is he the company founder's college buddy?" I have AAPL stock so I'm luvin' it.

What has Ballmar got to do with shortage of NAND Flash??
  • Reply 4 of 12
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple Tablet?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

What has Ballmar got to do with shortage of NAND Flash??

I don't know but I do wonder where he was when Kennedy was shot!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I'm sure he knows something about Area 51 too.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Getting his butt kicked in an elementary school playground in Detroit.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple Tablet?

Nah, still a little too early for a tablet to go into production. Pundits (well, the more logically-minded ones) are speculating January announcement with a ship date in the spring.

It's really the iPhone and iPod (touch, nano, shuffle). After all, we're talking about millions and millions of units.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Original content deleted due to Ballmer-like incompetence displayed by poster. Comment is now in the proper thread, the one about project Pink. Mea culpa.

All good
  • Reply 10 of 12
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Rewritten:

Quote:

Major manufacturers have again missed the boat when it comes to the types of advanced planning required to ensure parts and materials are available for the consumer goods they build and sell. Purchasing managers across this spectrum of manufacturers insist on buying components on the spot market, and continue to be surprised that the laws of supply and demand work exactly as their college Econ professors said they would.

Proper long-term contracts seem to only have been put in place by Apple, Inc. (formerly Apple Computer) who use flash memory as a key component in their wildly popular devices like the iPhone and iPod touch.

• Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those prices are higher than in September, when a 16GB chip was $4.48, and 32GB cost $6.80..

So, it costs Apple $6.80 to move from a 0GB model to a 32GB model, but they charge us $100. That's some markup
  • Reply 12 of 12
    It seems obvious that Apple (without truly monopolizing the market) shrewdly plays the supply but I'd hate to be the dude who's head hangs if the calculations are off!