imac randomly switches off

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
At first I thought it could be down the cable at the back. The way I have it a slight nudge could knock out a tad to switch off but 1 time it happened it was fine and wasn't loose at all so im not sure what is happening. It's happened maybe twice so far since I got it which was around 40 days ago or so.

I looked around and it seems to be a problem others see from time to time too. Im going to move my desk around a bit differently to maybe help with the wiring but could this be down to maybe a built in feature that switches of if usage is too intensive?

If so I take it there won't be any harm done as this is a precautionary measure?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

At first I thought it could be down the cable at the back. The way I have it a slight nudge could knock out a tad to switch off but 1 time it happened it was fine and wasn't loose at all so im not sure what is happening. It's happened maybe twice so far since I got it which was around 40 days ago or so.

I looked around and it seems to be a problem others see from time to time too. Im going to move my desk around a bit differently to maybe help with the wiring but could this be down to maybe a built in feature that switches of if usage is too intensive?

If so I take it there won't be any harm done as this is a precautionary measure?

Thanks

Are you sure your Mac actually switches off! Or does the screen just go black after a while? Because that could be down to your Display Sleep setting (System Preferences/Energy saver).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Ill check and will test that out but I moved the mouse around and even hit spacebar a few times and it didn't come back on so I don't think it's that.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Ill check and will test that out but I moved the mouse around and even hit spacebar a few times and it didn't come back on so I don't think it's that.

Then I think what may have happened is that it's Display Sleep mode was slow to wake up when you prodded it. So then you tried the spacebar a couple times. And jerked the mouse around a bit. And hammered the keyboard. That was all maybe a few times too many. Your Mac was trying to wake up and still groggy, and you fired all those commands off to it. It got confused! It got it's wires tangled up. And went into a deep sleep to protect itself from further rude awakenings. I.o.w.: it's not switched off! It is not dead! It looks like it is, but it isn't. It's 'in coma'...

You can test this by making really, really sure your iMac is actually switched off/killed. So you switch/kill it off again, for good measure, by keeping the startup button depressed for 4 seconds! Then you wait 1 minute! Then you start your iMac up again in the normal way: by pressing the startup button normally (not long).

See if that works.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Check to see if you didn't have a power failure in your house first.