Kevn Rose twitters rumor about tablet from Apple employee?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
You can google it yourselves. Apparently Kevin Rose was talking to some girl I guess in a bar somewhere. And that girl happens to work at Apple.

Omg just met a drunk girl from apple "no apple tablet coming... well, we wouldn't call it a tablet" haha leak!!

If this turns out to be true what could this mean about the mysterious Apple device? Could it be we have all been wrong and it won't be a tablet? Could my original prediction about the device actually be true? That it's going to be flexible in some manner so as to solve the "pocketability" problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I'm pretty sure that Apple will have some twist on the Tablet that none of us are expecting. Or maybe it's all smoke and mirrors deception for a product totally out of left field.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    The plot thickens...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Not to insult the honest woman out there but I suspect the honest woman know what I'm talking about.

Let's consider this possibility; a hot chick is in the bar and draws a bead on Kevin, she decides she hasn't had enough fun yet so she walks over to him and introduces herself. This immediately causes Kevin to loose control of logical thought. Once she realizes that she gas his ear and more, she starts to work him with whispers of long rumored Apple products. Once she realizes poor Kevin has climaxed, she walks away to powder her nose with her friends. She and her friends laugh histerically, literally rolling on the floor at how easy it was to jerk his chain.

Some how I think there is more reality in this made up story than Kevins. I've just seen some cruel stuff in my time. Thakfully most of it as a third party.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 19
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not to insult the honest woman out there but I suspect the honest woman know what I'm talking about.

Let's consider this possibility; a hot chick is in the bar and draws a bead on Kevin, she decides she hasn't had enough fun yet so she walks over to him and introduces herself. This immediately causes Kevin to loose control of logical thought. Once she realizes that she gas his ear and more, she starts to work him with whispers of long rumored Apple products. Once she realizes poor Kevin has climaxed, she walks away to powder her nose with her friends. She and her friends laugh histerically, literally rolling on the floor at how easy it was to jerk his chain.

Some how I think there is more reality in this made up story than Kevins. I've just seen some cruel stuff in my time. Thakfully most of it as a third party.

Dave

I suppose that is a possibility. Sad.....but a possibility nonetheless. Still though, it could be an actual leak. Hopefully Rose will be able to confirm this. Did you guys get a load of Apple's Q4 report? They blew away everybody.....super mega monster quarter!

Of particular note from the conference call with Cook was hints of a mysterious new device debuting in Q1 which will raise Apple's air freight costs considerably as they go into the new quarter.

Expect there to be more leaks as the new year draws closer. I'm going to bet on my original theory that this device will not be a "tablet" in the traditional sense. And neither will it be a "netbook" mini laptop type of device. It's going to be something new.

Will it be courier like? Perhaps.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Aren't people forgetting the news article about Jobs rejecting a number of tablet prototypes?

I think Kevin Rose is getting a little desperate for publicity as are all of the media personalities who have no real talent including but not limited to Stephen Colbert, Walt Mossberg, Kevin Rose, Josh Topolsky, John Gruber. Talking about the hard work that other people do takes no talent and it's little more than 'hey look at me, I'm still relevant, I have info you want'.

All that was really said, assuming the comment has any weight at all, is that they wouldn't call it a tablet, which is quite obvious really. What Apple should really do is call it the iTouch. That way when some moron refers to the iPod Touch as an iTouch, you can say 'oh you must mean Apple's tablet' and they have to correct themselves and say 'oh sorry I meant the iPod Touch' instead of giving the moron answer 'everybody calls it the iTouch anyway' i.e I'm too lazy to use 3 syllables to describe something by its actual name.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Good point Marvin, but more importantly- aren't we all forgetting Kevin Rose is a douche?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Good point Marvin, but more importantly- aren't we all forgetting Kevin Rose is a douche?

How can anyone forget that?

I don't think that the tablet will be anything we are expecting.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Aren't people forgetting the news article about Jobs rejecting a number of tablet prototypes?

I think Kevin Rose is getting a little desperate for publicity as are all of the media personalities who have no real talent including but not limited to Stephen Colbert

What? I can agree with other names, but Stephen Colbert is one talented guy.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I suppose that is a possibility. Sad.....but a possibility nonetheless.

Yes it is sad but when you are easy to manipulate woman will seek you out to have some fun. I have to wonder if he was sober enough to ask the woman for proof of employment at Apple.

Quote:

Still though, it could be an actual leak. Hopefully Rose will be able to confirm this. Did you guys get a load of Apple's Q4 report? They blew away everybody.....super mega monster quarter!

What was actually leaked though?

Quote:

Of particular note from the conference call with Cook was hints of a mysterious new device debuting in Q1 which will raise Apple's air freight costs considerably as they go into the new quarter.

I took that to mean an immediate increase in Air frieght as Apple is already in quarter one. So I'm thinking he was talking about the new iMacs and stuff.

Quote:

Expect there to be more leaks as the new year draws closer. I'm going to bet on my original theory that this device will not be a "tablet" in the traditional sense. And neither will it be a "netbook" mini laptop type of device. It's going to be something new.

A folding tablet perhaps. I know many people find this repulsive but small and light are mote useful than ten inches. Talking about screen size here only guys.

Quote:

Will it be courier like? Perhaps.

Roll up maybe. New model iPhones perhaps. A new take on Apple TV possibly. A pair of eye glasses that you wear for the screen with a pocketable computing module.

The possibilities are endless.

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What was actually leaked though?

I took that to mean an immediate increase in Air frieght as Apple is already in quarter one. So I'm thinking he was talking about the new iMacs and stuff.

Dave

What was actually leaked? Well, if it was a leak, it would be that the girl hinted that the device would not take the form of a "tablet" as everybody was expecting.

New iMacs and stuff as the source of the air freight increase? The analysts are saying no because its not simply an increase but an abnormally large increase in air freight. And refreshed imacs and minis can't explain that away.

So what does everybody think would cause a very significant increase in air freight? It's most likely going to be a new exciting product. What will that be?

In a couple of months we're all going to find out!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Well, I for one have gone through several near committments to the loney bin in a white coat over the release of the upgraded Mac Mini and iMacs so I'm not going to hold my breath for the iTouch / iTablet like I did over the Mac Mini. I'm going to buy my Mac Mini and enjoy it. But if Jobs DOES figure out a way to make a tablet style book reader that does MORE than a bathroom web browser, I will definitely be interested. But generally, reading doesn't work on computer screens as well as it does in books for content deeper than web browsing. Which is why tablet computers have never gotten off the ground. But an iTunes Bookstore might change all that.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    it really was a dream

it also draws much publicity for apple

i agree, whatever we think it will be, it won't apple will have a huge surprise for us--i got this after talking to my cat that i got drunk she says it will be called iMeow
  • Reply 13 of 19
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    In recent years I've seen Apple typically underwhelm when it comes to brand new hardware features. These are never as radical as people's imagination. And successive models are rather evolutions than revolutions.

So I would not expect any uber-cool hardware at all. Forget OLED, flexible screens, built-in scanners and solar panels. The hardware will likely be rather simple. And it makes sense. If they want to sell 100,000s of them, any cutting edge technology could not be produced in the sheer numbers needed.

If anything the 'revolution' will be in the software.

Having said that the obvious choice really is a glorified media/eBook device. Nothing fancier than that.

It will all be about the content and how people can use it. That will be the 'revolution'.

Think about it:

Such a device fits in nicely with Apple's focus on iTunes content and education. Books and comics are really the only type of major content not yet covered.

It also fits in nicely with recent rumors about book publishers striking deals with Apple.

So what do I expect?

- a device that's as thin as possible, you want to slip this into your bag easily

- a color screen somewhere around 10"

- battery life > 10 hours

- wifi

- either uses iPhone OS or a new branch of it

- will allow to view 720p HD movies, play your music, allow you to read comics, eBooks and PDFs

- Safari web browsing

- might not even have 'Mail' as it could require you to use online email clients in Safari

- will likely allow you to play iPod / iPhone games although the difference in resolution might cause transition hiccups.

- it might have video out to connect to a TV, 27" iMac.

- it might double as a touch input device for another Mac like the Wacom Bamboo

What will it not do?

- Office applications: no word processing and spreadsheets.

Simply because Jobs likes to have a physical keyboard for this and he'd rather forsake a physical keyboard if he can make this device slimmer. And word processing with a virtual keyboard is no fun.

- in fact no Mac OS X application will run

- it won't have any physical keyboard and I'm not sure it would even support bluetooth keyboards

- won't be a Wacom Cintiq-like painting tablet, nor will it support Photoshop. You might still be able to use it for painting like you can use the iPhone for painting, but it won't be a professional drawing/3D modeling tablet.

If you're honest with yourself and consider Apple's recent history of rather simple hardware (without crazy new features) yet rather sophisticated, integrated software, then this is the only device that makes sense.

It will 'merely' be a PMP/Kindle done right.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yeah, cause calling the "the tablet" would be bad marketing. But essentially it will be a tablet.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

What will it not do?

- Office applications: no word processing and spreadsheets.

Simply because Jobs likes to have a physical keyboard for this and he'd rather forsake a physical keyboard if he can make this device slimmer. And word processing with a virtual keyboard is no fun.

- in fact no Mac OS X application will run

- it won't have any physical keyboard and I'm not sure it would even support bluetooth keyboards

I think you may be wrong here...

Aside for the whole digital media angle (newspapers, magazines, books, comics, videos/movies & music), a huge market for a tablet would be the corporate environment.

iWork, even if not the full Mac OS X version, would be a must have for this...
  • Reply 16 of 19
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

[...] a huge market for a tablet would be the corporate environment.

iWork, even if not the full Mac OS X version, would be a must have for this...

Hmm, good point.

But are tablets really that huge in the corporate environment still? The few friends who at some point got tablets from their companies were all recently switched to netbooks. The tablet thing seems a bit of a fad. And not that many manufacturers still offer them. And most available ones aren't any faster than netbooks. So why not get a real keyboard?

Tablets make sense for illustration, design, some 3D applications, but none of these are huge corporate markets.

What is huge however are vertical tablet applications for healthcare, surveyors, warehouses etc. But these would be served via specific custom-built apps. No need for iWork there.

Yet at some point there were rumors about Webkit based versions of iWork.

Bundled with the huge data centers Apple is building, could these shiny new Apple 'tablets' be serving online iWork versions via Safari? Perhaps even as a free 'MobileMe' add-on? (You need to subscribe to MobileMe though.)

Could Safari even become the 'OS' itself, moving into the background serving everything via the Web?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Reporting on tweets.... is this Fox News??
  • Reply 18 of 19
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Hmm, good point.

But are tablets really that huge in the corporate environment still? The few friends who at some point got tablets from their companies were all recently switched to netbooks. The tablet thing seems a bit of a fad. And not that many manufacturers still offer them. And most available ones aren't any faster than netbooks. So why not get a real keyboard?

Tablets make sense for illustration, design, some 3D applications, but none of these are huge corporate markets.

What is huge however are vertical tablet applications for healthcare, surveyors, warehouses etc. But these would be served via specific custom-built apps. No need for iWork there.

Yet at some point there were rumors about Webkit based versions of iWork.

Bundled with the huge data centers Apple is building, could these shiny new Apple 'tablets' be serving online iWork versions via Safari? Perhaps even as a free 'MobileMe' add-on? (You need to subscribe to MobileMe though.)

Could Safari even become the 'OS' itself, moving into the background serving everything via the Web?

I think the biggest (current) problem with tablets in the corporate world is that they run Windows...

I believe Apple has a handle on how to properly implement a touchscreen tablet for corporate use, and I would see the Apple tablet as more of a digital legal pad in that respect. The bulk of the 'heavy lifting' in regards to office apps will still be done on laptops & iMacs, with the Apple tablet being the device one carries into staff & client meetings and such...

As far as the vertical markets (healthcare, etc.) this should also be a strong area for Apple tablet sales...

And towards the 'Safari as the OS', reminds me of Google talking about Chrome as the OS...
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Reporting on tweets.... is this Fox News??

Hey, it's better than reporting some guy at NYTs making a casual remark about the apple device as news. It's even better than that ridiculous report about a possible connection between the iTablet and SIM card trays.