Question about Airport Extreme, G clients connecting to a N only network?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I tried to search for this, but it's hard to form a good search query to answer my question. So if this has been discussed previously, you have my apologies.

I just bought two used Airport Extreme Base Stations for bridging my pc in my bedroom to my XBox 360 etc in the living room. Setup is working just fine, so no complaints. However, to ensure I didn't bring my network speeds down, I set the Airport's to use 802.11n (2.4ghz) only. I wanted to test that it would block 11g devices from connecting, so I connected with my iBook to the network and .... I got on just fine. Which is confusing. I thought when I put it in the 11n only mode, I wouldn't be able to connect with a 11g device. But I seem to be able to.

Am I losing my mind here, or am I missing something?

When I get home I'm going to try the 5ghz mode, though with a closet between my bedroom and living room, I'm afraid the walls are going to cause an issue with the signal. Since things were working fine with 2.4ghz, I didn't bother going with 5. I assume when I switch to 5ghz, there should be no way for any 11g devices to connect, but I thought that about my current settings as well.... \ Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I would have thought you were on the right track... double checked all the network settings to make sure it;s set up the way you thought it was?

I have a similar setup, but I'm set up at 5ghz ... I actually get BETTER coverage throughout the house than I do with 2.4. ("g" devices cannot see that network at all, either.)

Oh... did you verify that the iBook could CONNECT to the network?... or was it just able to "see" it.