PS3 or XBox360?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. I know Xbox has Halo which is a plus for that. But I also want to use it as a computer in my bedroom. So which ever one is better at online. Just give me your reasons why you like one of them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    You probably can't go wrong with either one. With netflix soon coming to PS3 and the built in BluRay, you could argue that the PS3 offers more value, especially at the new $299 price point.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

You probably can't go wrong with either one. With netflix soon coming to PS3 and the built in BluRay, you could argue that the PS3 offers more value, especially at the new $299 price point.

I own a PS3, purchased in Dec. 2006 for $500 or so. At $299, it's the clear choice with Blu-Ray support, which is what I primarily use mine for. I do play a few games. I don't think I'd buy a system for one game. Hardware-wise, the PS3 has much more potential in terms of graphics, some of which is now being realized. Anyway, good luck.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    For game play, it's whichever has the games you want.

As a web-browser, both suck big-time. They just don't compare to a "real computer" for browsing the internet. (But that's not really what they were designed for... added on as an afterthought simply because they could.)
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Get the XBox 360 if you want to play HALO. Otherwise, get the PS3. It's that simple. The new PS3 Slim is also more energy efficient than the XBox 360 is, if you care about that.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

As a web-browser, both suck big-time. They just don't compare to a "real computer" for browsing the internet. (But that's not really what they were designed for... added on as an afterthought simply because they could.)

Agreed...that is a good point. The browser is pretty pathetic on the PS3. I'll take your word for it on the xbox.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    If you get a PS3, you can't play this game:

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/actio...gameplay-movie

and if you get an XBox, you can't play this game:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9a...lay_videogames

Either way you lose. They both have good exclusives (they kinda have to be good and exclusive or there's no point);

the XBox gets Gears of War, Halo, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, GTA 4 expansions, Forza Motorsport, Portal:Still Alive, Mass Effect, Left 4 Dead

the PS3 gets Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Gran Tourismo, Heavy Rain

The PS3 hardware is superior though and you get Blu-Ray. The PSU is internal to the slim whereas the XBox 360 still has a large external power bick. The 360 is way noisier than the PS3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8urB-2megHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zquzx5-rHk8

I personally would go for the PS3 as a main gaming machine. For the games you miss, wait until the XBox hits the absolute rock bottom pricing second-hand and pick one up for those games only.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

agreed.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    i would go for the ps3 for these reasons: It has built in wifi so you wouldn't need to connect it directly to an Ethernet cable if you have a wireless router. The PSN (playstation Network) is free to all playstation owners, and is great for online play. also the psn has the playstation store which is great for downloading free demos, videos, trailers, wallpapers and themes and psn games which only cost you little. Go and search more on the internet, many websites should have discounts in xmas time.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    If you are an addict to Winning Eleven, you should go for PS3, it also can be a Blu-ray player, which cost a few hundred dollars, ps3 has got a right track on this fabulous function. I've searched for a few websites which are having discounts to ps3 console, but the most attractive one is the Lucky Draw Game of PS3 launched by dsstyles, they are launching it right now, seems so attractive, go to www.dsstyles.com and see the details.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Both are more or less equal

Get a Wii
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Both are more or less equal

Get a Wii

Which would be like saying "you don't want to go see Avatar ... just watch the cartoon series on TV."
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickbali123 View Post

Hi.

Frome my point of view Xbox 360 is the best.

Microsoft xbox 360 is the leading gaming console which can give the

hd resolution on the LCD during gaming it also have the hard disk for

storing multimedia in it and it can be also use to access the internet

and playing games online and also have the best price to performance

ratio in the market..

The X-Box is a has been, the PS3 with the more powerful Cell processor gives much more detail and better game play, it too has a hard drive to store content and can access the internet.

The PS3 also has BlueRay, which content creators have chosen as their high definition format vs Microsoft's HD-DVD which lost the format war.

The PS3 is a better long term value because it doesn't have to be replaced as often as the X-Box will. The 3 G5 processors in the X-box are has been technology compared to the 9 core Cell which really hasn't been fully tapped yet.

You buy a X-Box, especially now, and I can almost guaranty it will be obsolete by the holidays next year as Microsoft will have to come up with something new.

Also Linux can be installed on the PS3, making it real computer with very powerful processors at it's disposal. If your so inclined.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vitadellajan View Post

I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get.

PS3 or XBox 360? - General Gaming - Videogamer.com Community

I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. I know Xbox has Halo which is a plus for that. ...

community.videogamer.com/forums/general.../ps3_or_xbox_360/ - Cached -

PS3 or XBox360? - Webmaster Forum

3 posts - 3 authors - Last post: 2 Nov 2009

I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. I know Xbox has Halo which is a ...

http://www.promojunkie.com/forum/......3-xbox360.html - Cached -

PS3 or XBox360? - Page 3 - Xbox 360 & Xbox Forums

I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. I know Xbox has Halo which is a plus for that. ...

forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=632262&page=3 - Cached -

PS3 or XBox360? - Coolest Gadgets Forums

forums.coolest-gadgets.com/showthread.php?p=48332 - Cached -

PS3 or XBox360? | Sonorika.com

I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. I know Xbox has Halo which is a plus for ...

travel.sonorika.com/news/ps3-or-xbox360/163550 - Cached -

PS3 or XBox360?

www.diecasting.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=14 - Cached -

Console & PC Hardware Forum on The ECA Forums | BoardReader

Quote: Originally Posted by vitadellajan I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. ...

boardreader.com/.../Console_PC_Hardware_Forum_1711177.html - Cached -

"left Dead" Inforum:www.pojo.biz - Forums & Discussions

3 posts - 1 author - Last post: 25 Oct 2009

... and left for dead while I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. ...

omgili.com/%22left-dead%22-inforum:www.pojo.biz- - Cached -

PS3 or XBox 360 - The GTA Place Forums

13 posts - 10 authors - Last post: 8 Dec 2009

I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. I know Xbox has Halo which is a ...

http://www.thegtaplace.com/...ps3......68688__st__0&?... - Cached -

Pink Community - Search Results

http://www.pinkbrowser.com/forum/sea...action=results... - Cached
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vitadellajan View Post

Just give me your reasons why you like one of them.

Owning a PS3, so I might be a bit biased

Which console is right for you I suppose is a matter of too many factors to list here. If the games you want to play are available on the platform you have the best "feeling" about, go for that one.

I like not having to pay an online subscription fee for PSN (PlayStationNetwork) features and online gaming. I use my PS3 for many things, gaming, movies (blu-ray/DVD's/downloaded content), music, photo storage/viewing. I find the PS3 to generally be pretty a pretty versatile piece of kit.

I don't do very much browsing on the PS3, sometimes we'll pull up a YouTube clip to watch with freinds, I generally think a console is a more "social" platform.

Personally I've been very satisfied with my PS3, the only thing changed along the way for me, has been to drop in a more spacious HDD, very easy to do by the way (I don't know about the "slim" model). As for peripherals/add-ons there are lot's of possibilities.

Overall I find the PS3 to be a very nice entertainment supplement to the family Macs.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

PS3 or XBox 360? - General Gaming - Videogamer.com Community

community.videogamer.com/forums/general.../ps3_or_xbox_360/ - Cached -

PS3 or XBox360? - Webmaster Forum

3 posts - 3 authors - Last post: 2 Nov 2009

http://www.promojunkie.com/forum/......3-xbox360.html - Cached -

PS3 or XBox360? - Page 3 - Xbox 360 & Xbox Forums

forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=632262&page=3 - Cached -

PS3 or XBox360? - Coolest Gadgets Forums

forums.coolest-gadgets.com/showthread.php?p=48332 - Cached -

PS3 or XBox360? | Sonorika.com

I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. I know Xbox has Halo which is a plus for ...

travel.sonorika.com/news/ps3-or-xbox360/163550 - Cached -

PS3 or XBox360?

www.diecasting.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=14 - Cached -

Console & PC Hardware Forum on The ECA Forums | BoardReader

Quote: Originally Posted by vitadellajan I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. ...

boardreader.com/.../Console_PC_Hardware_Forum_1711177.html - Cached -

"left Dead" Inforum:www.pojo.biz - Forums & Discussions

3 posts - 1 author - Last post: 25 Oct 2009

... and left for dead while I am thinking of buying one of them but i don't know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. ...

omgili.com/%22left-dead%22-inforum:www.pojo.biz- - Cached -

PS3 or XBox 360 - The GTA Place Forums

13 posts - 10 authors - Last post: 8 Dec 2009

http://www.thegtaplace.com/...ps3......68688__st__0&?... - Cached -

Pink Community - Search Results

http://www.pinkbrowser.com/forum/sea...action=results... - Cached

Wow. WTF is this all about. It's not really spam, I guess. What do you make of it?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    A lot of this stuff is spam, and we're getting rid of the stuff as fast as we spot it, or see it reported. I've just gotten rid of three others about Kindle skins.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    If you want a great online gaming experience, go with Xbox 360, thanks to the Xbox Live service. However, be aware that the Xbox 360 has a history of a lot of hardware failures, though.

But if you want something that can do more than just gaming, the PS3 is it, especially now with the less costly (but just as capable) PS3 "Slim" model. The current PS3 supports Bitstream digital audio out so you can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio audio streams from a Blu-ray disc on an external decoder like a home theater A/V receiver.