Will any new LCD's have VGA ports?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If Apple brings a new slew of LCD's, would you think they would include a VGA port?



This is not so much for the millions of PC users who might actually be impressed by the displays and want to connect to their ugly beige boxes, but for millions of Mac users who might want to attach them to our new iMacs and mostly our Apple laptops!!!

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I doubt it, but Apple would be wise to include a port on the m,onitor so you can connect a normal VGA cord to. Or at least an inexpensive adapter.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Sony has some new LCD's that will allow for both digital and analog (vga) signals to be used. The conversion takes place within the monitor and no digital video card is needed. Old beige boxes had analog video but a card can be added (in one of the numerous PCI slots) to get digital video.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    NEC too has panels with VGA and ADC coming. Are there any cheap VGA-DVI converters out there? I don't think you can get VGA to carry enough power (even for LCD) so any dual panel will need a seperate power plug too.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Of course Apple won't. They should because people, including me, would love to hook up an Apple LCD to their laptops. Unfortunately Apple doesn't seem to realize that.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gustavgustav Posts: 822member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

    <strong>Of course Apple won't. They should because people, including me, would love to hook up an Apple LCD to their laptops. Unfortunately Apple doesn't seem to realize that.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Apple realizes it just fine. They also realize their are not enough of customers like you to justify including the extra expense of an analogue-digital converter in their studio displays.



    Sony makes nice LCD monitors, there's a really light and thin one (about 1 cm thick) available with analogue VGA input - go buy one. You will like it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kevin Hayes:

    <strong>



    Apple realizes it just fine. They also realize their are not enough of customers like you to justify including the extra expense of an analogue-digital converter in their studio displays.

    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    There's plenty of others who would love to be able to use an Apple display with their portable.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gustavgustav Posts: 822member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

    <strong>



    There's plenty of others who would love to be able to use an Apple display with their portable.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Plenty != enough. Don't forget you also need to power the display. The power supply in the PowerBook is just not enough. It would increase the cost of the whole display just to satisfy the relatively few Powerbook owners (note I said relatively) who would buy it.



    It's not like you don't have an option. There are lots of third party LCD displays out there. Not as nice looking, I'll admit, but some are pretty close.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Well, what they COULD do is make the port for VGA a special connector (just like the new iMac) and have users buy a special conversion box kit. The kit would come with the right wire for the VGA connector and also a breakout box to connect to the ADC connector. (Just to power it)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kevin Hayes:

    <strong>



    Plenty != enough. Don't forget you also need to power the display. The power supply in the PowerBook is just not enough. It would increase the cost of the whole display just to satisfy the relatively few Powerbook owners (note I said relatively) who would buy it.



    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    How about a seperate power supply? Doesn't make sense to use the Powerbook/iBook power suplpy.
Sign In or Register to comment.