Safari Bug

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been having problems with Safari 4 since I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Any page that displays HTML source code in a standard page jumbled up. It is not rendering the page correctly, although if I copy the scrambled text to another program it displays correctly. This only effects Safari and other browsers are okay.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I can reinstall safari / reset??

The screenshots above are from a Joomla Edit HTML page but this also happens on other pages such as where they show sample HTML code tutorials.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    The only thing you mention as far as what you've done is to copy the gibberish to another program, and it transforms back to the original text. Then you ask about resetting Safari. So, sorry if this doesn't cover new ground, but why don't you try to reset Safari? Safari Menu > Reset Safari.... (don't check remove names and passwords)

Another thing to try is to replace the com.apple.safari.plist file. It's in your Home folder > Library > Preferences. Move the file to the Desktop, then start Safari. If it renders your pdf correctly, Trash the file you moved.

Still no joy? Try logging in under a different user account.

Mr. H, see; yet another one.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Gregg thank you for the reply.

Reset Safari and deleted Plist file and the bug remained. I trashed Safari.app and copied another from my Macbook and no change.

After I created a new account and logged in, the error was not showing in that account. I dont fancy moving everything to the new user account and still unsure of what is causing the bug.

Would be grateful if anyone has suggestions?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philiporeilly View Post

After I created a new account and logged in, the error was not showing in that account.

This is an indication that some cache files corruption occurs. I don't remember now where exactly are they, but you can look inside the ~/Library directory. There are also system-wide caches in /Library (I think). Try to (re)move the user ones to see if it makes any difference. I am not sure if logout or restart is required for the change to take effect, but it is possible that it does.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

This is an indication that some cache files corruption occurs. I don't remember now where exactly are they, but you can look inside the ~/Library directory. There are also system-wide caches in /Library (I think). Try to (re)move the user ones to see if it makes any difference. I am not sure if logout or restart is required for the change to take effect, but it is possible that it does.

Many thanks for your suggestions which worked. I took the easy option and downloaded a free app called Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner which deleted all app caches.

thanks again,

Philip