The weather is screwed thread #867

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
53º in NORTHERN IOWA today!

I talk to tons of old farmers whose lives have revolved around the weather for 70 years and they've never seen patterns like this!

And the South was just locked down with snow!

:confused:

Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    <strong>Originally posted by jeffyboy:

53º in NORTHERN IOWA today!

I talk to tons of old farmers whose lives have revolved around the weather for 70 years and they've never seen patterns like this!

And the South was just locked down with snow!</strong>

Global warming. Or perhaps to get away from the connotations of the words "global warming", I should say the average Earth temperature is rising due to unknown causes. Since there's more energy in the system (ie, hotter climate), it'll cause various heretofore unseen effects around the planet.

If it wasn't for that 2 week cold spell during the holidays, it could almost be said that Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa didn't have a real winter this year, but a long autumn and early spring...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    What are the connotations? The polar ice caps-are we talking millions of years, thousands, less?

Not to sound all Greenpeace, but this is the climate of our PLANET, and it's doing things not seen our lifetimes. Or is our lifetime too short a window to judge?

Suddenly this seems like a bigger deal than I'd been thinking.

Jeff

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    [quote]

I should say the average Earth temperature is rising due to unknown causes.

<hr></blockquote>

Actually the scientific evidence that has accrued in the last couple of years points strongly to industrial emissions as the cause.A year and a half ago there was no ice at the north pole-a tourist group went to the north pole but they had to stop a couple of miles away because there was only open ocean.The ocean is rising,I live on the coast it's a practical problem that has to be dealt with,eroding beaches,salt water in the fresh water supply,greater storm damage,etc.It's a shame that the oil industry has so much control over the media that they are able to distort and hide the issue.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    Our careless actions on this earth is going to come back and bite us in the $@#... before we know whats what...

We better start getting our act straight soon...

before its too late...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

• Reply 5 of 7
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    <strong>Originally posted by Rick1138:

Actually the scientific evidence that has accrued in the last couple of years points strongly to industrial emissions as the cause.</strong>

I would be more careful about that assessment.

Should we have more fuel efficient and cleaner burning industries? Obviously yes. As a nation and perhaps humanity as a whole, we should try to achieve and strive for as much as we can.

Are our activities the cause of global warming? Maybe. Probably. I'm sure it is a part of it. I'm sure that it will be the dominant part as the entire world becomes more industrialized. But I highly doubt that it's a strict cause and effect type of thing seen in static systems.

The climate changes for sundry reasons that we still have a hard time modelling. And perhaps will never be able to model due to its chaotic nature.

<strong>A year and a half ago there was no ice at the north pole-a tourist group went to the north pole but they had to stop a couple of miles away because there was only open ocean. The ocean is rising, I live on the coast it's a practical problem that has to be dealt with, eroding beaches, salt water in the fresh water supply, greater storm damage, etc.</strong>

I didn't deny that the Earth was warming. Most would agree that it is.

<strong>It's a shame that the oil industry has so much control over the media that they are able to distort and hide the issue.</strong>

It's amazing the media has such a upstanding reputation. There's nothing about the media that says they comprise the best of humanity, capable of fair and accurate assessments. They are just as ignorant, lazy, and greedy as the rest of us. So, I wouldn't believe in a conspiracy when simple ignorance and laziness will cover it. The appropriate thing is to criticise the media (for being a bunch of nitwits), not the industry itself. Once the media is fixed, the rest should follow (which includes politics and other industries).
  • Reply 6 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by THT:

<strong>

It's amazing the media has such a upstanding reputation. There's nothing about the media that says they comprise the best of humanity, capable of fair and accurate assessments. They are just as ignorant, lazy, and greedy as the rest of us. So, I wouldn't believe in a conspiracy when simple ignorance and laziness will cover it. The appropriate thing is to criticise the media (for being a bunch of nitwits), not the industry itself. Once the media is fixed, the rest should follow (which includes politics and other industries).</strong><hr></blockquote>

THT is right about the media. "Whores" though many may be, it doesn't take money or favors under the table to get them to re-spin a story or otherwise distort it in an irresponsible way. They do that all by themselves, simply in an attempt to gain higher ratings and therefore more ad revenues. I've said it a dozen or more times before here, but until the news media system as a whole stops relying on ad revenues, they will be hard-pressed to deliver anything but slanted or otherwise tainted coverage of the issues.

As for this winter, it has been a little dry here in N. Illinois, but we did get an extended cold snap from the first days of winter up till about last weekend. Right now it is unseasonable warm, but let's not forget this season has just begun. It's a little early yet to be writing it off in any way.

We have 2.5 months before winter leaves us (and around these parts, closer to 3 months because the first week or two of April is usually cold....

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I think that the earth is on a warm climb part of the cycle it goes through. But Global Warming is a factor especialy since contries like China dump tons of shit into the air per day, way more than the US.