Will the new iPod classic get video?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My trusty Gen4 iPod was stolen yesterday Now that we know Apple isn't against adding video and an FM tuner to the Nanos, do you guys think the Classics will get the same upgrade treatment for the Holidays? I sooooo don't to buy a new one now only to have them get upgraded. Are the updated iPod Classics due soon, do ya think?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,698member
    Presumably by "video" you mean video recording, as the iPod classic has had video playback for ages.



    To answer your question: no way. Apple just updated all the iPods. Any changes would have happened then. Who wants to listen to FM radio when they've got 160 GB of their own music to hand?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Presumably by "video" you mean video recording, as the iPod classic has had video playback for ages.



    To answer your question: no way. Apple just updated all the iPods. Any changes would have happened then. Who wants to listen to FM radio when they've got 160 GB of their own music to hand?



    Yes, to record video like the new Nano. Didn't realize they had just updated the Classic. FM can be nice when you're in the mood for catching something new on the radio. Believe it or not, after scanning my library, there are times when I want to listen to something I don't have. Some iPod players like Altec-Lansing include an FM tuner for just that reason.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 444member
    Ah the age-old 'should I buy now or are updates right around the corner?' question. I'm in exactly the same boat, the new nanos look pretty darned awesome and I'm considering getting one (today actually). But here's my view on the whole tech-upgrade thing.



    If you want something, but you're scared it's gonna be upgraded soon, go buy it anyway. There are two reasons I see for doing this:



    1) It is going to be upgraded, there's no argument there, whether it's tomorrow or a year from now, tech is just that evil. If you buy it today, and it's upgraded next week, you can return it and get the new one. If it's upgraded past the 'point of no return' (pun intended), then sell yours on eBay, or to a second-hand apple store & get some cash back etc. Chances are though, that you won't care about the slight performance boost or capacity upgrade in the next version once you've got one. You'll be too busy enjoying it. (Case in point, I still own and love my 2G iPhone, I have no intention of buying a new one unless mine breaks or gets stolen. )



    2) Once the (inevitable) new upgrade comes out, you're just going to wonder when the next one will be. Just grab the current one and enjoy your gadget while ignoring the updates. In a few years, go buy the latest one when yours is totally outdated (unless you still like it, of course). Things keep moving, by then there'll be some crazy new features and you'll probably be ready to buy another.



    Now, I'm off to Future Shop...



    Jimzip
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post


    Ah the age-old 'should I buy now or are updates right around the corner?' question. I'm in exactly the same boat, the new nanos look pretty darned awesome and I'm considering getting one (today actually). But here's my view on the whole tech-upgrade thing.



    If you want something, but you're scared it's gonna be upgraded soon, go buy it anyway. There are two reasons I see for doing this:



    1) It is going to be upgraded, there's no argument there, whether it's tomorrow or a year from now, tech is just that evil. If you buy it today, and it's upgraded next week, you can return it and get the new one. If it's upgraded past the 'point of no return' (pun intended), then sell yours on eBay, or to a second-hand apple store & get some cash back etc. Chances are though, that you won't care about the slight performance boost or capacity upgrade in the next version once you've got one. You'll be too busy enjoying it. (Case in point, I still own and love my 2G iPhone, I have no intention of buying a new one unless mine breaks or gets stolen. )



    2) Once the (inevitable) new upgrade comes out, you're just going to wonder when the next one will be. Just grab the current one and enjoy your gadget while ignoring the updates. In a few years, go buy the latest one when yours is totally outdated (unless you still like it, of course). Things keep moving, by then there'll be some crazy new features and you'll probably be ready to buy another.



    Now, I'm off to Future Shop...



    Jimzip



    Points well taken. I didn't realize the Classic had just been updated, and I have no hard feelings having bought my wife a Nano last Christmas. However, if I had asked in August if the Nanos were about to be updated, it would be a bigger deal, since it looks like September is the usual time for iPod updates (now I know ).



    If you are always waiting fot the next new thing in tech, you will miss out on the cool stuff that's there. But, there is some amount of timing. Wouldn't you have hated to be the one who bought an iMac right before Apple went to Intel chips?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tubetube Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post


    Who wants to listen to FM radio when they've got 160 GB of their own music to hand?



    I do; I sincerely hope Apple adds the FM tuner down the road. We've got terrific public radio playing all-night jazz and blues, wonderful for middle-of-the-night insomnia



    Not interested in any video capabilities in Classic, but the FM tuner with Live Pause and tagging would be most welcomed.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tube View Post


    I do; I sincerely hope Apple adds the FM tuner down the road. We've got terrific public radio playing all-night jazz and blues, wonderful for middle-of-the-night insomnia



    Not interested in any video capabilities in Classic, but the FM tuner with Live Pause and tagging would be most welcomed.



    I'm the type of person who waits to buy something when it's "right", and then like to keep it for a long time. However, since Apple released the Nano with such perfect additional features, I am considering putting my wife's Nano I bought for her just last Christmas on Ebay and picking up the new one. I have never upgraded anything so quickly, but she would really like the new features so much it might be worth it.
Sign In or Register to comment.