Hit-or-miss site claims 4G iPhone part; French exclusivity ends

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A Chinese Web site that has leaked parts of Apple products in the past with varying degrees of accuracy has claimed to have a fourth-generation iPhone part; and the French government has nixed the exclusive agreement between Apple and Orange.

Purported 4G iPhone part pictured

AppleInsider was informed this week of an alleged fourth-generation iPhone midboard claimed to be provided by Apple's handset manufacturer, Foxconn. ChinaOntrade.com, a wholesale parts supplier, said it received the part on Nov. 1.

While Gizmodo noted that China Ontrade was accurate with an iPhone 3GS screen before the hardware was unveiled in June, the Web site also mistakenly claimed that a Creative Zii Egg bezel was from a forthcoming iPhone.

The site states that the hardware has an "amazingly beautiful back," and photos of it will be provided soon. The internal hardware does not offer any clear suggestions of potential new features of a forthcoming iPhone model.

Last month, the same Web site provided a SIM tray alleged to be from either an Apple "iTablet" or fourth-generation iPhone. That part, too, was reportedly received from Foxconn.

Orange loses French iPhone exclusivity

Apple and wireless carrier Orange have ceased their exclusive contract for the iPhone early after a ruling from the French competition authority, according to Down Jones Newswires.

The injunction was originally issued in December 2008 as a temporary and precautionary measure. Apple and France Telecom, the parent company of Orange, were also prevented from entering into exclusive agreements for any other handsets.

Orange and Apple has reportedly originally entered into a five-year agreement. Following the ruling from local regulators, contract-free iPhones were sold in France.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Who cares about the back? Apple uses a hyper scratch inducive plastic/metal anyway which require cases for all their products.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Hahaha one more iphone to add to the list...
  • Reply 3 of 34
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Isn't it too early for iPhone rumors?! We still have the next MB, MBP, Mac Pro, and iPhone 4.0 to go through before we even consider new iPhone hardware
  • Reply 4 of 34
    I do not get the WSJ article and its echo here,

I bought a Bouygues Telecom iPhone in July, non jailbroken, with contract, paid 129?.

Maybe the exclusivity contract between Orange and Apple has been officially cancelled today, but exclusivity has been a thing of the past here for quite some time...
  • Reply 5 of 34
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Isn't it too early for iPhone rumors?! We still have the next MB, MBP, Mac Pro, and iPhone 4.0 to go through before we even consider new iPhone hardware

the test hardware is probably being tested right now

it's not like Apple announces a new iphone and only starts producing it that day

for the 3GS and OS 3, AdMob reported seeing a test version of OS3 hit it's servers from 2 handsets in San Francisco starting around December 2008
  • Reply 6 of 34
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

it's not like Apple announces a new iphone and only starts producing it that day

for the 3GS and OS 3, AdMob reported seeing a test version of OS3 hit it's servers from 2 handsets in San Francisco starting around December 2008

Keep in mind that may very well have been pieces and parts of the hardware and OS - as opposed to a fully operational complete package. our point is still valid that testing and manufacture has to be underway well before the final product hits the shelves - even in a case where a factory can produce thousands of units a day if you want to move a million units the first weekend you need weeks in advance to ramp up.

So it is entirely possible that pieces and parts that will end up in the 4G iPhone are already being made for test units.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    The picture seems to imply that this item is for sale for the price of $23.42 as from November 1, 2009.

Any buyers?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    I hear the iPhone 4 has a new killer feature: the ability to call someone.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Is the slit alongside the camera hole for a camera flash? I and many others need to take pictures in low light. It was a pain placing people under lights on Halloween.

Where's the bets that it gets a flash? I go on record that it will get one.

solipsism will say no because it whittles down the profit margin, not needed, or some other nonsensical excuse.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daving313 View Post

Not sure what you actually mean. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ability to make or receive phone calls on the AT&T system. It is as efficient as any and probably even better in most many markets. It is very very rare that I have a dropped call from my end. I have noticed it happens semi regularly when I talk to people on the Sprint system. That is a Sprint problem, not an AT&T problem.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

That sounds like witchcraft to me - talk to someone without being connected by wires.

You're living in some sort of future dreamland there my friend.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

On its own? Like in The Shining or was it Poltergeist?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

• Reply 14 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) The Orange exclusivity means nothing. Apple can sell the handset to other vendors at a higher price while Orange still gets favourable treatment. Capitalism for the win!

2) I have to call fake on this. That piece doesn’t look like something Apple would design. That part looks extraneous when you look at the break down of the 3GS. Why include it unless it’s a poorly engineered knock off? And why does it cost $23?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

I wouldn’t think the test hardware would be using the actual case this far in advance, but maybe they are, especially if they are trying something new the case and want to test it’s effectiveness.

I hope the case doesn’t change next year so that cases and other accessories still work, but this is Apple. I’m surprised we got the same external design two years in a row.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

solipsism will say no because it whittles down the profit margin, not needed, or some other nonsensical excuse.

Don’t quote me until you can learn to learn basic reading comprehension. Profit margin isn’t the issue, the issue is you whining all the time even on threads that have nothing to do with the iPhone’s camera. It’s a camera in a thin phone; don’t expect miracles! Either accept the limitation, buy a different phone, or buy a real camera. I bet you still think that Apple didn’t include video on the first two iPhones so you’d be forced to buy the 3GS when it came out.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A Chinese Web site that has leaked parts of Apple products in the past with varying degrees of accuracy has claimed to have a fourth-generation iPhone part ...

Even though the good money is on a fairly significant redesign with the next iPhone, anyone with a hint of engineering in their background can see that this really represents a radically different design if this part is real. On the face of it, it looks ridiculous and would add a ton of weight for seemingly no reason.

They seem to be saying that this giant thing is the "mid-board" and that the circuit board would be screwed to it with four giant screws? and that said circuit board would take up the entire phone instead of the current much smaller one? Also, the screen would also have to be attached to one side while the back and the battery attached to the other? None of that makes much sense to me.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    gmogmo Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

Not sure what you actually mean. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ability to make or receive phone calls on the AT&T system. It is as efficient as any and probably even better in most many markets. It is very very rare that I have a dropped call from my end. I have noticed it happens semi regularly when I talk to people on the Sprint system. That is a Sprint problem, not an AT&T problem.

I was talking with a friend about her experience with AT&T service, and she said: "Sometimes when..... [bzzzzzzz] and if I go t-[bzzzzzz, scratch, bzzzzzz] then it happens. But I rarely, if ever, drop a [click]"

I couldn't agree more, and I couldn't be more looking forward to an end to the Apple-AT&T monogamy.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It?s a camera in a thin phone; don?t expect miracles! Either accept the limitation, buy a different phone

Good advise.

My phone is 4mm thinner than the 3Gs, has a flash (twin LED), 5MP sensor, autofocus and takes 720x480 30fps video and the quality of both stills and video is excellent. The OS isn't as good though.

Miracles can happen.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmo View Post

I was talking with a friend about her experience with AT&T service, and she said: "Sometimes when..... [bzzzzzzz] and if I go t-[bzzzzzz, scratch, bzzzzzz] then it happens. But I rarely, if ever, drop a [click]"

Have you considered that she just didn't want to talk to you, and was making the noises herself???
  • Reply 19 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Good advise.

My phone is 4mm thinner than the 3Gs, has a flash (twin LED), 5MP sensor, autofocus and takes 720x480 30fps video and the quality of both stills and video is excellent. The OS isn't as good though.

Miracles can happen.

Don’t leave us hanging. Show us this miracle phone whose camera space is 4mm thinner than the area that the iPhone’s camera sits.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don’t leave us hanging. Show us this miracle phone whose camera space is 4mm thinner than the area that the iPhone’s camera sits.