Johnny Carson / Tonight Show boxed set

jrcjrc
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I got a totally unexpected gift for Christmas. A boxed set of Johnny Carson VHS tapes, BEST OF the tonight show. I started to watch the 80-90 tape last night, and BOY I MISS JOHNNY!

The most surprising thing about Carson is that he never came back to do anything. He is one of the few people that knew 'you can never go home'. Anything else he would have done would have tarnished his image, IMO.

I laughed so hard on some of those skits. Sam Kinnison singing Are You Lonely Tonight and then screaming at his (ex)Wife left me about ready to PUKE I laughed so hard.

Johnny had a way with the subtlest of sexual innuendos. Almost safe enough for small children to watch since they'd just go over their little heads. But, funny enough to be a little racy at times. (racy as in back in those days. Not like the SNL skit/monologue talking about women's periods.)

Since the 80-90 was the time period that I watched as a kid and on, I can't wait to 'discover' Johnny and his first decades.

My boxed set is similar to this

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/630306678X/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_title3_lm_dp/002-5066496-9982468"; target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/630306678X/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_title3_lm_dp/002-5066496-9982468</a>;

but also contains the Animal Hijinks tape, too. I have not even broken the wrapper on the others, yet. But last night makes me want to watch them all this weekend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I grew up (as a little boy in the 70's) hearing Johnny Carson on the TV down the hall. Like a nice security blanket and one of my nicest memories from childhood. Hearing my parents laugh, then trying to muffle their laughs so as not to wake my sister and me...now THOSE are nice memories.

It's one of those things that gets into your head and is part of your life, so you can't NOT like it or remember it fondly.

As I got older and was staying up late enough to watch it, I enjoyed it because I simply got the sense that here was a guy doing it "right", you know?

He set the standard, and I, too, am glad that when he retired, he RETIRED. Sad he's not around sometime because I'd like to see him again, but he was a class act and is even doing retirement right.

One night, I'm half expecting him to walk out onto Leno's show or something, as a total surprise. I hope he does and I hope I'm watching that night.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    That show truly did have some classic moments with Carson. It's unbelievably bad TV now with Leno though, IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Johnny was the man. Puts all existing hosts to shame (though Dave has taken on a certain charm in his old age). Leno just annoys the hell out of me. I think it's the voice more than anything....

I have that same box set btw, ironically I happened to get it for Christmas as well, albeit about four or five years ago. There are some great clips in those tapes....

• Reply 4 of 4
    He was great in his prime but got stale.

The best ever was when that woman was on the show with her cat. She says, "Jonny do you want to pet my pussy?" and he says "Sure if you move that damn cat."