Off-site backups not neccessary anymore?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Those of us who take their backups seriously also store a copy off-site in case the primary location gets destroyed.

That is now not neccessary anymore if you use an IoSafe harddisk, because the IoSafe is protected against flooding and fire. Watch this demo.

IoSafe disks won't survive airplane crashes, building collapses, or earthquakes though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It still can't protect against theft. Maybe if it had a flamethrower attached to it.

I'd say impact is a pretty important thing to protect against too. It might be waterproof but that water can slam it into a wall.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    The clip showed that the drive was sealed in a plastic bag and, therefore, safe under water. How were any electrical connections made? Or do you have to unplug it, wrap it in the plastic bag, and replace it in the 'safe' whenever you're not using it. Maybe you have to wait for a warning that the dam has busted and then wrap it in plastic. What am I missing?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Those of us who take their backups seriously also store a copy off-site in case the primary location gets destroyed.

That is now not neccessary anymore if you use an IoSafe harddisk, because the IoSafe is protected against flooding and fire. Watch this demo.

IoSafe disks won't survive airplane crashes, building collapses, or earthquakes though.

we back up our backups w/ backup and then our hard drives fail all at once so we...

i have 4 single 1tb drives and i burn a dvd every 3 days

i lao use mobile me idisk for more back up and since i use 3 to 4 mac all the time they all have there own internal mini back ups .

and now in you say i need even more back upsd

well 5 drives died on me in 3 yrs so why not >>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i burn a dvd every 3 days

You do realise that burnt DVDs become UNreadable after 5 years...?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    I just transferred a copy of my backed-up files to IDrive.com yesterday!