Which graphics for 21.5 inch iMac?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, My name is Mitchell and I am looking into buying a new iMac. I definitely want to stick with the 21.5 inch size but I am not sure which model to get. I really don't think I would ever even come close to filling up the 500gb hard drive... so it now comes down to graphics. I know nothing about the graphic cards so I'm not sure which one I need. I do like to do some light video editing, would love to share a lot of pictures easily (if that even matters), and I like to play the Sims 3, The Movies, and other games as such (not like World of Warcraft or anything). If you could help me decide, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smor1297 View Post

Hi, My name is Mitchell and I am looking into buying a new iMac. I definitely want to stick with the 21.5 inch size but I am not sure which model to get. I really don't think I would ever even come close to filling up the 500gb hard drive... so it now comes down to graphics. I know nothing about the graphic cards so I'm not sure which one I need. I do like to do some light video editing, would love to share a lot of pictures easily (if that even matters), and I like to play the Sims 3, The Movies, and other games as such (not like World of Warcraft or anything). If you could help me decide, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The cheaper 21.5" would be enough to run semi-modern games on decent settings. I've seen older iMacs run games like Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Aion, etc relatively easily.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dont know if you got ur comp yet but the cheaper model is definately enough. I have a mbp with dual graphics cards and its the card that I use 95% of the time. The only occasions I use the beafy graphics card is to play world of warcraft, which you said you wont be doing, and sometimes when i stream really good quality videos cause it buffers faster than the other card.

like you i deal with photos and occasionally some video editing and the integrated graphics perform great, never had any kind of issues related to my graphics being underpowered

so go ahead and get the cheaper model, enjoy your new mac