Apple's 'illegal' Boston iPod touch billboard disappears

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A giant iPod touch billboard in Boston that found itself at the center of a political controversy has been removed without explanation.

According to The Boston Herald, the Planet Storage building on Traveler Street near Interstate 93 has removed the iPod touch banner from its side. The 13,750-square-foot advertisement was declared illegal by the Massachusetts Outdoor Advertising Board, but remained in place since the fall of 2007.

But this past weekend, the iPod touch advertisement was taken down and replaced with a mural of whales. Spokespeople for the city's Inspectional Services Department and the Boston Redevelopment Authority reportedly said they had no explanation for its removal. The building owner and Apple could not be reached for comment.

The companies behind the billboard previously agreed to pay $110,000 for a settlement in June -- the largest known payment for any such advertising dispute -- in order to allow the sign to remain.

Previous reports suggested the agreement to keep the advertisement displayed was reached with assistance from a top aide to Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino. The aide reportedly helped a business acquaintance behind the banner work their way through the permitting process. The acquaintance also donated the $500 maximum-allowed political campaign contribution to Menino every year since 2005.

The mayor reportedly endorsed the giant billboard, despite his administration's usual opposition to such displays.

Photo credit: Matthew West, Boston Herald

The Massachusetts Outdoor Advertising Board had ruled that the sign was illegal because it did not advertise anything for sale inside the Planet Self-Storage facility. The owners of the building contended that they do sell iTunes gift cards.

In 2008, Apple opened a flagship store in Boston, at 815 Boylston St. It is a three-story building fronted by glass, with a large 6,384 square feet of floor space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    "Maintain friendly relations with the environment." would seem to be the approach Apple is taking in this case. The real and/or potential negative PR would seem to outweigh any potential advertising benefits.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    The whale mural was always there - it was covered up by the billboard.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    wow - I must have been sleeping on my in this morning - didn't notice it gone...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    So, can I buy a killer whale there now?

Or do they only have gift cards for Sea World?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Believe it or not, there is a difference between commercials and art. Not every image you see is trying to sell you something.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

They have that same mural on warehouse in Wilmington DE- I often pass it on AMTRAK. I always wondered what do whales have to do with DE. now MASS? Is that art some kind of Federal Urban Renewal project.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slinberg View Post

Believe it or not, there is a difference between commercials and art. Not every image you see is trying to sell you something.

Art is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    So I guess they're selling whales? Oh they're not? Anyone want an easy $110,000?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slinberg View Post

Last I checked, the ipod touch was a beautiful work of art
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Just to clarify, having lived in boston for many years, the mural of the whales is painted on the building and has been there for more then 10 years, so it wasn't replaced by the whales, the whales were always under the iPod banner.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Whaling Wall. Genius.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Thanks for the links - that is totally awesome!

But I see that a lot of the murals are "extinct" - they've been removed.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Why is "illegal" in quotes in the article, when the article states clearly that the responsible authority decided that it violated the law?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Why is "illegal" in quotes in the article, when the article states clearly that the responsible authority decided that it violated the law?

Perhaps a reference to the Boston Legal TV show?