Apple releases Safari 4.0.4 with security flaw patch

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Wednesday afternoon released an update to its Safari Web browser, addressing a vulnerability that could allow an image file to exploit Macs with older software.



According to Apple, the flaw allowed maliciously crafted images with an embedded color profile to execute arbitrary code, or unexpectedly terminate the application. The issue does not affect Mac OS X 10.6 systems, and was already addressed with Security Update 2009-005 for Mac OS X 10.5.8 systems.



The 36.2MB download is available via Software Update. In addition to the security patch, Safari 4.0.4 is said to offer:



Improved JavaScript performance



Improved Full History Search performance for users with a large number of history items



Stability improvements for third-party plug-ins, the search field and Yahoo Mail

The last update to Safari, 4.0.3, was released in August. It provided stability improvements for Web pages that use the HTML 5 video tag, and fixed issues that prevented some users from logging into iWork.com
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 39
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I told you!

    Now comes Safari to be followed by iTunes,to be followed by iPhone, to be followed by AppleTV, etc, et,c and then back again.



    I know - quit complaining- it's the Love Train!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Jeez! I just did the last security update to my wifes MacBook pro at 4:00 pm today. This must be hot off the presses!
  • Reply 3 of 39
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Still no flash fix.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Still no flash fix.



    Yeah, it would be nice if Adobe would work on that.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I just discovered that Webkit does not support MathML ( the xml tags used to render mathematical notation) Firefox does though. I just landed a nice job to write an application for such so I'm a little bummed. I usually use Safari but no dice on this job. For anyone one else interested, a new JS library is in the works to be released soon to fix the lack of support in Webkit. It is called MathJax
  • Reply 6 of 39
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    It definitely feels snappier!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I just discovered that Webkit does not support MathML



    But...but... Safari gets 100/100 in ACID3 and is therefore must be the most standard compliant browser ever...although only IE8 supports CSS 2.1 fully...*head explodes*
  • Reply 8 of 39
    404 doesn't seem like a great number for a browser.





  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    I told you!

    Now comes Safari to be followed by iTunes,to be followed by iPhone, to be followed by AppleTV, etc, et,c and then back again.



    I know - quit complaining- it's the Love Train!



    you'd have nothing to say if you didn't complain.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    At least, in Yahoo mail, that annoying blue, spinning disc is gone.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    I told you!

    Now comes Safari to be followed by iTunes,to be followed by iPhone, to be followed by AppleTV, etc, et,c and then back again.



    I know - quit complaining- it's the Love Train!



    Ya, I wish the company that built my computer and phone didn't issue updates and patches.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Flash still crashes frequently throughout the day. Hell after I rebooted and went to chron.com, flash crashed before it even loaded the page. The Fuck!
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Could somebody please explain to me why this update requires a reboot, despite the fact that no other browser on any other operating system I know of requires a reboot after install?



    I'm on Snow Leopard, for God's sake! You'd think Apple would have worked out the legacy issues, including QuickTime 7 and any Carbon libraries.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I just discovered that Webkit does not support MathML ( the xml tags used to render mathematical notation) Firefox does though. I just landed a nice job to write an application for such so I'm a little bummed. I usually use Safari but no dice on this job. For anyone one else interested, a new JS library is in the works to be released soon to fix the lack of support in Webkit. It is called MathJax



    Firefox looks to only support partial MathML. If you want real support you?ll have to go with Opera. Note that it?s coming to WebKit.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post


    But...but... Safari gets 100/100 in ACID3 and is therefore must be the most standard compliant browser ever...although only IE8 supports CSS 2.1 fully...*head explodes*



    Fully? This Wikipedia page paints a different picture. Granted, it?s Wikipedia and it?s a complex page that could easily be out of date, but all the main browsers seem pretty on the ball.
    PS: Acid3 wasn?t designed to test for everything. It?s designed that way. Acid4 will likely work the same way.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post


    Ya, I wish the company that built my computer and phone didn't issue updates and patches.



    Now he?s complaining that Apple?s issues updates to their apps???
  • Reply 15 of 39
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post


    Could somebody please explain to me why this update requires a reboot, despite the fact that no other browser on any other operating system I know of requires a reboot after install?



    Just to vex you.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post


    Could somebody please explain to me why this update requires a reboot, despite the fact that no other browser on any other operating system I know of requires a reboot after install?



    I'm on Snow Leopard, for God's sake! You'd think Apple would have worked out the legacy issues, including QuickTime 7 and any Carbon libraries.



    Simply put, you?re not just updating Safari.app or QuickTime.app when Apple?s issue an update, they are also updating the frameworks that are loaded when you start your machine.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    Flash still crashes frequently throughout the day. Hell after I rebooted and went to chron.com, flash crashed before it even loaded the page. The Fuck!



    Adobe really needs to fix Flash an make a 64-bit plug-in. If you are on battery and using Safari you are best to run in 32-bit mode otherwise you suffer a hue power drain in you are using Flash.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post


    Could somebody please explain to me why this update requires a reboot, despite the fact that no other browser on any other operating system I know of requires a reboot after install?



    I'm on Snow Leopard, for God's sake! You'd think Apple would have worked out the legacy issues, including QuickTime 7 and any Carbon libraries.



    It's not clear why and I agree with you this really shouldn't be a necessity to reboot at this point.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Did anyone do a permissions repair after this update and find that a TON of permissions had to be repaired? I did. And I just repaired permissions the other day with the 10.6.2 update.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    Flash still crashes frequently throughout the day. Hell after I rebooted and went to chron.com, flash crashed before it even loaded the page. The Fuck!



    I thought I read somewhere that with Snow Leopard (or was it Safari 4.0?) that when a plug-in crashes, as Flash does a lot, only the plug-in would crash and not all of Safari. Does anyone see this? My Safari is still crashing when Flash does.



    MBP Core Duo (1,1)

    10.6.2

    Safari 4.04 (but 4.04 hasn't crashed yet)
Sign In or Register to comment.