Webcam for Mac Mini?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 2009 Mac Mini, which does not have a webcam. I don't need an expensive one, but I'd like to stick a basic one on there for iChat, etc.

I see webcams in the various stores for $25 or $30, which seem like they'd do the trick, but the boxes always say they're for Windows systems only.

I'm assuming that means the software that comes with them. But if I buy any old Microsoft or HP web cam and just plug it in, will the Mini see it and understand it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ed-hawco View Post

I have a 2009 Mac Mini, which does not have a webcam. I don't need an expensive one, but I'd like to stick a basic one on there for iChat, etc.

I see webcams in the various stores for $25 or $30, which seem like they'd do the trick, but the boxes always say they're for Windows systems only.

I'm assuming that means the software that comes with them. But if I buy any old Microsoft or HP web cam and just plug it in, will the Mini see it and understand it?

Its hit or miss.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I would consult a list like this one and buy cameras that are known to work:

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php

Logitech have Mac webcams but they are really expensive now. You can get the older models on eBay though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOGITECH-QUICKCA...#ht_2936wt_914
  • Reply 3 of 11
    If you own an iPhone or Touch already, you may choose to try Wireless Webcamera app ($.99).

P.S. Tested. Extremely difficult to configure and to get working. Not worth buying.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I was gonna suggest an iSight from eBay ... but good god man!!, they're ending auctions at close to $100 for a lot of them!!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I have this one and like it a lot... spendy tho
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

If you own an iPhone or Touch already, you may choose to try Wireless Webcamera app ($.99).

How on Earth would that work with an iPod Touch, which has no camera?

That app is for the iPhone only, for obvious reasons.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

How on Earth would that work with an iPod Touch, which has no camera?

That app is for the iPhone only, for obvious reasons.

Ummm... Indeed. Mea culpa.

By way, my whole post should be taken back.

I played with that app (on iPhone). It's not duck soup to get it working and is even tougher to get working for iChat. It will take me months...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Well, while that app is still remaining definitely not the best choice for iChat , I've got it working as expected and now it looks a bit more promising.

Unfortunately, iChat's ShowMacster add-on doesn't work under Snow Leopard anymore; we thus have to wait for its being back to achieve any valuable integration with iChat. Moreover, the add-on costs $19, which pulls the whole deal out of any interest.

Don't take it too much serious, but provided you own an iPhone, you do have a $.99 camera for any chat system right out of here.
    1. Configure your WiFi router, if it's not the case already,

2. Put your iPhone on that WiFi network,

3. Don't forget to configure port forwarding,

4. Buy Wireless Camera app at $.99,

5. Configure that app, choose the port you wish it would broadcast through,

6. Start capture and point your iPhone at what you choose to show,

7. Provide your buddy with the URL (or IP address) of your router; he will watch what your iPhone will capture.

As soon as we find the graceful way to accept incoming connections on iPhone over 3G, the app becomes the must for any reporter.

P.S. There are already webcam apps, which post pictures onto the web to make them viewable, but direct broadcasting is preferred solution.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Well, while that app is still remaining definitely not the best choice for iChat , I've got it working as expected and now it looks a bit more promising.

Unfortunately, iChat's ShowMacster add-on doesn't work under Snow Leopard anymore; we thus have to wait for its being back to achieve any valuable integration with iChat. Moreover, the add-on costs $19, which pulls the whole deal out of any interest.

Don't take it too much serious, but provided you own an iPhone, you do have a $.99 camera for any chat system right out of here.
    1. Configure your WiFi router, if it's not the case already,

2. Put your iPhone on that WiFi network,

3. Don't forget to configure port forwarding,

4. Buy Wireless Camera app at $.99,

5. Configure that app, choose the port you wish it would broadcast through,

6. Start capture and point your iPhone at what you choose to show,

7. Provide your buddy with the URL of your router; he will watch what your iPhone will capture.

As soon as we find the graceful way to accept incoming connections on iPhone over 3G, the app becomes the a must for any reporter.

P.S. There are already webcam apps, which post pictures onto the web to make them viewable, but direct broadcasting is preferred solution.

That's nice but really has little or nothing to do with the OP's question.

On my previous mini (G4), I know a Macally Icecam 2 is compatible but the image is way too dark and hence it's close to useless. I kept searching for settings to change and finally stumbled across some internet thread where several people said they had the same and insolvable problem. Back to the store the Icecam 2 went and I wan't going to spend over $100 for one known to work (a Logitech, I think).

It's entirely possible that Intel-based minis have a broader list of cameras that will work out of the box (ie. not needing Mac-specific drivers as found on a couple expensive webcams) but there doesn't seem to be any authoritative list that I've seen.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

That's nice but really has little or nothing to do with the OP's question.

Yes, yes. I can't deny that.

I was just proposing low-cost low-tech videoconferencing companion to any chat system.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Thanks for the info. In the end I bought an HP Deluxe Webcam Model HP KQ246AA. (They're on sale at Amazon right now, if anyone else is looking.)

I plugged it in and it worked, right out of the box. No drivers or configuration or anything. Pure plug & play, and it works just fine with iChat and all those crazy effects and everything.

(Mac Mini 2009, with SL)