Time Machine Compatibility

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey All, I'm looking to buy a 2tb storage device to run time machine, but there is no way I can afford the time capsule. I know the capsule syncs perfectly with mac... so anything out there that is comparable that is way cheaper? I'd like it to be able to sync wirelessly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I use a 500Gb USB hard drive, which I keep on my bedside table next to my charger, I plug it in at the end of every day.

Cost = less than $100

I could probably plug it in somewhere on my WiFi network but couldn't be bothered.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xmadcowx View Post

Hey All, I'm looking to buy a 2tb storage device to run time machine, but there is no way I can afford the time capsule. I know the capsule syncs perfectly with mac... so anything out there that is comparable that is way cheaper? I'd like it to be able to sync wirelessly.

• Reply 2 of 6
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Time Machine might be good for backups, but remember it's not bootable in case your primary hard drive fails or OS X gets hosed.

In addition to Time Machine daily ritual, consider CLONING your whole boot drive shebang to another drive with Carbon Copy Cloner (donationware) or SuperDuper (payware) at least once a month or more depending upon what you do. Or more clones if your a risk taker like me.

If your boot drive dies or a OS or other install goes bad, simply hook up the clone and hold Option and boot to select.

There are some tips, like Erasing and Zeroing your new drive first and requirements like repairing permissions on both drives after a clone. That you should pay attention too. Also if you think you have been hacked, then Zero the boot drive from the OS X install disk instead, then hook up and boot from the clone and reverse clone.

Other than that it's really a clone A to B operation and go out for lunch or something while it works away. It's really sweet in a emergency.

Reverse cloning is possible too, option boot from the clone and reverse clone.

Hit the Time Machine for the latest backups. Screw installing from disk and all your apps, codes, etc.

You can't boot from a cloned Filevaulted drive, least I haven't figured it out yet.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xmadcowx View Post

Hi, i bought myself a 2 TB Time capsule with my new iMac 27 in, but i had trouble with it. It was not compatible for now with Snow Leopard. I exchanged it with a WD 2 TB Mac edition. It comes with the cables you need except for eSata and i payed 369$ canadian money. You can certainly have it for less on Web stores like Amazone.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charlesedwin View Post

Hello Friends.

I read your entire post it is too good well 2tb is too large because of currently I used the 560 GB themselves most part is empty well tell me all details of tb.

The problem with having way too large of a drive for your needs is the tendency to place too much on it and risk losing everything. Redundancy is key, label and burn DVD's, clone your entire boot drive and use something like a Time Machine drive and keep things physically separated for theft and malware protection.

It's wise to expect expansion of your data, OS X grows larger with more features, new programs, your music collection grows, your pictures and movies grow and so on.

How fast your growth is depends upon your needs and the costs involved and the life of your machine.

It's not prudent to invest in a $600 internal hard drive upgrade to 2TB if your 500GB is doing fine and your going to need a new computer next year anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The problem with having way too large of a drive for your needs is the tendency to place too much on it and risk losing everything. Redundancy is key, label and burn DVD's, clone your entire boot drive and use something like a Time Machine drive and keep things physically separated for theft and malware protection.

It's wise to expect expansion of your data, OS X grows larger with more features, new programs, your music collection grows, your pictures and movies grow and so on.

How fast your growth is depends upon your needs and the costs involved and the life of your machine.

It's not prudent to invest in a $600 internal hard drive upgrade to 2TB if your 500GB is doing fine and your going to need a new computer next year anyway.

Nice thread - some good stuff to consider.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Personally, I use a Thecus Mini-NAS, but I'm really miffed as to why Apple doesn't support Time Machine over a network.