DVI to HDMI Adapter not working

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm new to this community....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an older LCD tv (Syntax Olevia LT37HVE) with a DVI input terminal. I recently bought a blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD60P-K) that only has an HDMI input. I thought it would be ok to buy an HDMI cable and a DVI to HDMI convertor... However, when I use it all together I get nothing. I just realized that the LCD tv has a DVI-D input terminal and I bought a DVI-I to HDMI adapter...would that be the cause of the problem? Should i get a new adapter (DVI-D to HDMI)?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troms63 View Post

Hi,

I'm new to this community....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an older LCD tv (Syntax Olevia LT37HVE) with a DVI input terminal. I recently bought a blu-ray player (Panasonic DMP-BD60P-K) that only has an HDMI input. I thought it would be ok to buy an HDMI cable and a DVI to HDMI convertor... However, when I use it all together I get nothing. I just realized that the LCD tv has a DVI-D input terminal and I bought a DVI-I to HDMI adapter...would that be the cause of the problem? Should i get a new adapter (DVI-D to HDMI)?

Thanks

HDMI incorporates HDCP, High Definition Copy Protection-- that's to keep you from sending the output of your blu-ray player to a copying device.

Although I believe there is some implementation of HDCP on DVI, if you've got an older LCD it probably isn't compliant-- which is where the problem is.

Unfortunately if this is the case, the only way around it is to connect your player with analog cables-- ideally component, which isn't that huge a drop off in quality from the digital.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Every source I see online says that TV has HDCP support. In lieu of any other options, try the other adapter.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Every source I see online says that TV has HDCP support. In lieu of any other options, try the other adapter.

Good call, I should have checked that myself.

OTOH, DVD-I is supposed to be digital/analog compatable, so..... at any rate, if you do decide to get another adapter, get it here: http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp no reason to ever pay more.

Another possibility is to double check the output settings on the blu-ray player-- if it is toggled to component, you won't get anything on the HMDI out.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks for your help addabox & FuturePastNow. I just bought a different adapter....hopefully it works. I'll let you know the outcome. All the best.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    The new adapter (DVI-D to HDMI) worked...thanks again for all your help.