What should I do with my 2GB (Internal) flash storage?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I adore my 13" MacBook Pro. But I'm a bit disappointed with the card reader for a number of reasons:

1) None of the devices I own use SD.

2) The Card reader doesn't support SDIO, which rules out a more specialized use for the slot.

3) Why couldn't Apple at LEAST have made a flush slot, if not a multi-card reader of the same size that would also work with my xD cards?

So, being annoyed at the totally functionless slot sitting there unused, I decided to at least use the damned thing for something. So I went out and bought a 2GB RS-MMC, which after brief research I had already concluded would fit in the slot internally.

First thing to report is that it works great. It's easy to push the RS-MMC all the way into the slot using the side of the included adapter. It's also easy to remove the card at any time using the same adapter the way it's meant to be used. Just don't lose the adapter and you won't need to pull out the tweezers.

The card is recognized by the OS as expected and easily reformatted to Mac OS Extended using Disk Utility.

So I'm thinking that although it's probably not the speediest flash memory out there, at least I've got an extra 2GB storage handy, and I'm guessing it's faster than my 5400rpm hard drive, right?

What's the easiest way to test read/write speed of the card?

And... what should I use it for?

By the way, apparently, 4GB RS-MMC cards are available. I just couldn't find one when I was looking, and for $10 I didn't really care to wait.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I'm really tempted to make fun of you for buying a camera that uses xD memory.

Backup of important files, passwords, financial documents, and so on? That card would probably survive the destruction of the rest of the computer.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I'm really tempted to make fun of you for buying a camera that uses xD memory.

Fair remark. Of course, anyone who has ever owned a Fuji F31fd would easily understand.

I bet you for indoor shooting, my little four year-old brick can beat nearly any P&S that can be bought today, at any price. I'd have to make fun of you in return if you challenged me to a shoot-off.

Quote:

Backup of important files, passwords, financial documents, and so on? That card would probably survive the destruction of the rest of the computer.

Well, I don't really expect the rest of the computer to die any time soon... I was thinking something more along the lines of frequently used files, or maybe a stripped-down backup system for emergencies, or even an alternate OS.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I bet you for indoor shooting, my little four year-old brick can beat nearly any P&S that can be bought today, at any price. I'd have to make fun of you in return if you challenged me to a shoot-off.

I have an Olympus that takes "SmartMedia", the predecessor of xD. I got burned when they decided 128MB was big enough. Olympus didn't learn its lesson, but I did.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Fair remark. Of course, anyone who has ever owned a Fuji F31fd would easily understand.

Yes, I was disappointed that Fuji joined the pixel wars rather than continue to improve the the F31 line.