Dragon Dictation

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have been following speech recognition for a long time. Dragon NaturallySpeaking has always been the best of breed and has continued to improve over the years. Now, it is available for the iPhone.

If you needed another reason to love your iPhone, and another way to show it off at parties (tool! You know who you are) this is it. Best of all, it is absolutely free for the time being.

While other platforms are getting their first fart apps, we're getting stuff like this. I almost feel sorry for the iPhone wannabes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I have been following speech recognition for a long time. Dragon NaturallySpeaking has always been the best of breed and has continued to improve over the years. Now, it is available for the iPhone.

If you needed another reason to love your iPhone, and another way to show it off at parties (tool! You know who you are) this is it. Best of all, it is absolutely free for the time being.

While other platforms are getting their first fart apps, we're getting stuff like this. I almost feel sorry for the iPhone wannabes.

I notice on their app page, to the extend that are negative reviews, they all seem to be freaking out about a clause in the EULA that talks about Nuance getting all you contact info.

Anyone know what that's about?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I notice on their app page, to the extend that are negative reviews, they all seem to be freaking out about a clause in the EULA that talks about Nuance getting all you contact info.

Anyone know what that's about?

Let's be clear about this. Every app that I know that tries to do speech recognition, does the same thing. You will notice that the other negative comments are from people who want to use it on the iPod touch and are bitter.

To put this into further perspectives, I wrote this post using the app.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Let's be clear about this. Every app that I know that tries to do speech recognition, does the same thing. You will notice that the other negative comments are from people who want to use it on the iPod touch and are bitter.

To put this into further perspectives, I wrote this post using the app.

No, actually, there are a few embittered Touch users, and a great many ecstatic reviews, but there is a non-trivial number of people extremely bummed about the fact that the app apparently sends all your contact info to Nuance, and that further Nuance retains the right to share that data.

I haven't read the EULA, I have no idea what any of this is about, but I though someone might have the straight dope.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

No, actually, there are a few embittered Touch users, and a great many ecstatic reviews, but there is a non-trivial number of people extremely bummed about the fact that the app apparently sends all your contact info to Nuance, and that further Nuance retains the right to share that data.

I haven't read the EULA, I have no idea what any of this is about, but I though someone might have the straight dope.

There are some people who just need a cause. The more awesome the app, the more controversy it will attract. I bet most of those complainers also use Google services and have their data strung out all over the internet. The product also uses a web connection. It does a lot in the background no doubt. It also does not require any training to use with near 100% accuracy out of the box. It very likely reads your contacts to help with that accuracy.

My point is this type of set-up is not new and they are completely up front about what they do. Nuance is an extremely reputable company and has been around for a very long time. I would feel a lot more worried about giving all of my information to Google. Who knows what they do with it. Nuance uses it to make one of the best and most useful products to come out on the iPhone in a long time. Pick your cause and act accordingly.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

There are some people who just need a cause. The more awesome the app, the more controversy it will attract. I bet most of those complainers also use Google services and have their data strung out all over the internet. The product also uses a web connection. It does a lot in the background no doubt. It also does not require any training to use with near 100% accuracy out of the box. It very likely reads your contacts to help with that accuracy.

My point is this type of set-up is not new and they are completely up front about what they do. Nuance is an extremely reputable company and has been around for a very long time. I would feel a lot more worried about giving all of my information to Google. Who knows what they do with it. Nuance uses it to make one of the best and most useful products to come out on the iPhone in a long time. Pick your cause and act accordingly.

I don't disagree with any of that, just curious.

So it needs a web connection; are they using their servers to do the heavy lifting for the speech to text computations? And yeah, if that's the case I would imagine contact information aids in name recognition, which can't be stored as vocabulary.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's only available in the US store.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

I don't disagree with any of that, just curious.

So it needs a web connection; are they using their servers to do the heavy lifting for the speech to text computations? And yeah, if that's the case I would imagine contact information aids in name recognition, which can't be stored as vocabulary.

I honestly don't know how the heavy lifting is done. If by web connection, then it would have a noticeable lag, I would think. The processing is really fast. I would imagine they must be using some combination of the iPhone's internals, the web, and very streamline code. However they do it, the speed is quite impressive, and the accuracy is scary good.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    According to an article here, the processing is done at the server, which is why you record snippets first and process in chunks.

And apparently the contact thing is indeed to assist in recognition of proper names you're likely to be saying.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    But really, to agree with negative reviews, there is honestly no excuse whatsoever for any app that doesn't rely on hardware specific to the iPhone (GPS, Compass, Camera, 3G antenna) to not be compatible with the iPod Touch. It's just laziness on the part of the developer not wanting to offer testing or support for the Touch.

And since so many people are complaining about the contact reading feature, there should simply be an opt-out option.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Just checked the developer blog..

Quote:

Is there an option to opt out contact names upload on the servers?

We hear your requests for an opt-out on contact name uploads and we're working on a version update to include this feature. The new version will be submitted to approval very soon.

When will Dragon Dictation be available for iPod Touch?

We are working on Dragon Dictation for iPod Touch; we will provide update on availability soon.