Who's the daddy?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Me! That's who

I'm very pleased to announce that my partner gave birth at 6am this morning to a beautiful 6lb6 baby girl. Mother and daughter are both doing great and I'm going to sleep!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Hoorays and all the best mate.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Congratulations!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Me! That's who

I'm very pleased to announce that my partner gave birth at 6am this morning to a beautiful 6lb6 baby girl. Mother and daughter are both doing great and I'm going to sleep!

Congrats! A virtual beer is raised!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Congratulations. My kids are like two cat and a bird. Enjoy.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Awesome and congratulations on the family addition!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Congratulations, it's good to hear everything went well. What did you decide to name her?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Thanks for the kind words everybody!

A very exciting time! Sadly since the birth I haven't been as involved as I would have liked as I have shingles at the moment so they wouldn't let me on the ward (where mum and baby go after delivery and first feed). GP said that I can only give people chicken pox if they come in direct physical contact with the infected areas but understandably the hospital prefer to err on the side of caution. R's (my OH) mum is with her in my place.

In any case, as I'm slightly under the weather, being up all night really took it out of me (I know that sounds lame - what I've been through is nothing compared to what R went through). R will be in hospital overnight and I can't wait to welcome the ladies home!

Things moved very quickly (less than 5 hours total is awesomely quick for a first baby - obviously baby is keen to get on in life as she was a week early too) and having strong contractions at home R was in quite a bit of pain which was no fun. We don't have a car so had been intending to get to the hospital by taxi but as the contractions got so strong so quickly I just had to call an ambulance instead - paramedic arrived first and he had gas and air with him which helped with the pain. Then the ambulance arrived and we managed to get from our flat (four stories up from road level) in about four contractions. Once we were at hospital R was much calmer and did an amazing job - only gas and air for pain relief and 45 mins after arriving at hospital we were welcoming our daughter into the world!

No name yet but obviously we've discussed several options during the pregnancy. Maybe we'll pick a name tomorrow. I guess once we've done that we need to get her a Facebook, Bebo, MySpace and Twitter account or she won't be pleased with us when she's 10 having said that, they'll probably all be ridiculously uncool by the time she's 10
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

No name yet but obviously we've discussed several options during the pregnancy. Maybe we'll pick a name tomorrow. I guess once we've done that we need to get her a Facebook, Bebo, MySpace and Twitter account or she won't be pleased with us when she's 10 having said that, they'll probably all be ridiculously uncool by the time she's 10

Heh. I've given up on some things... Being embarrassed about one's parents is an unavoidable part of life. To be honest, I'm 31 now and I don't think I will ever have kids. It's just, such a crazy thought, such responsibility. But I hear that can change very, very fast.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Congratulations Mr. H and use this time to catch up on sleep. Your daily routine and your sleep will be gone soon as the household starts revolving around the kid.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Me! That's who

Congratulations! I hope you have as much fun with her as we've had with ours.

Enjoy it while you can. As with us, when they get older, usually when college is neigh, they leave, and you only see them part time, as now, when she's home for the holidays.

I just now saw your PM to me, as I've not been using my computer for a while as I've had some eye operations, but this was important enough to respond to, even though it's belatedly.

My very best, Mel.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm 31 now and I don't think I will ever have kids. It's just, such a crazy thought, such responsibility. But I hear that can change very, very fast.

There were plenty of things about parenthood that scared me: am I ready? Will I be able to provide adequately for my family? Am I responsible enough? Is my partner ready? Etc. etc.

So yes, it is a crazy thought, but to me a crazier thought was being 50 and not having a family. In terms of being "ready", it's a matter of realising that you'll probably never feel 100% ready and physically speaking the sooner you can have kids the better (to reduce risk of birth defects, complications of pregnancy/labour, ensuring you'll be fit enough to play with the kids when they're older etc. etc.)

I know this makes me sound like the clichéd new parent, but it really is wonderful; all my "am I ready" fears are out of the window now

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Congratulations! I hope you have as much fun with her as we've had with ours.

Hi Mel, thanks for the message. So far so good!

Sorry to hear about your eye problems. I hope the surgery was a success and all the best for a speedy recovery.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

There were plenty of things about parenthood that scared me: am I ready? Will I be able to provide adequately for my family? Am I responsible enough? Is my partner ready? Etc. etc.

So yes, it is a crazy thought, but to me a crazier thought was being 50 and not having a family. In terms of being "ready", it's a matter of realising that you'll probably never feel 100% ready and physically speaking the sooner you can have kids the better (to reduce risk of birth defects, complications of pregnancy/labour, ensuring you'll be fit enough to play with the kids when they're older etc. etc.)

I know this makes me sound like the clichéd new parent, but it really is wonderful; all my "am I ready" fears are out of the window now

Hi Mel, thanks for the message. So far so good!

Sorry to hear about your eye problems. I hope the surgery was a success and all the best for a speedy recovery.

This responsibility is difficult to understand before it happens. I got married at 33, and we didn't have our kid until I was almost 41. We had to adopt, so it was a very definite decision. I didn't want kids for the same reasons. Would I be a good parent? Hopefully, I have been. I'm sure you will be too.

As for my eyes, they're a bit better. I can use the computer now, but it's difficult, and I'm not yet posting on AI as that would require me to spend too much time, which I can't yet do. I hope that I'll be able to soon. I'm making too many mistakes at the keyboard, and have problems seeing what they are.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Congratulations for the little one.

Don't worry about being 'ready'. None of us are, but we muddle through. I'd bet that your parents felt the same way when you arrived. That precious little one is now our responsibility; however, we manage to bring them up to be wonderful, self-sufficient, solid citizens.

When you hold that sweet, little bundle in your arms, you know that "God's in His heaven. All's right with the world".

Merry Xmas.