Buzz surrounds Apple's recent streaming media moves

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Various stories about Apple over the past week have had one common thread among them: Streaming media is poised to play a more prominent role in the company's future.

Last week, Apple purchased music streaming service Lala for $85 million, fueling speculation that the company will move toward a cloud-based iTunes service. Such a change could allow users to access and stream their purchased iTunes content anywhere, from a variety of different devices.

Sources have said Apple is currently considering a usage model that would allow consumers to access and manage purchased content directly through the Internet without downloading that content, or even using the iTunes software.

In addition, Apple changed its policy on streaming media solutions, allowing the very first live broadcasting software to be released on the App Store. The Ustream Live Broadcaster for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS allows users to transmit live video from their phone. In addition, the Knocking Live Video application was approved for sale, but only after a plea directly to Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, developer Pointy Heads software has claimed.

Apple has also ventured into the personal broadcasting space, adding video recording capabilities to the iPhone 3GS and new iPod nano. When Jobs unveiled the 8GB, $149 fifth-generation iPod nano in September, he noted that a comparable Flip camera with half the storage sells for the same price.

Add in Apple's massive 500,000 square foot data center in North Carolina, and Wired has interpreted all of Apple's streaming related headlines of late to mean the Cupertino, Calif., company intends to make a large push for streaming content in the cloud.

"In the next few years, we?re likely to see video cameras with live-streaming software built into future iPods and iPhones (and the rumored touchscreen tablet, if it ever exists)," the report speculates. "These features will likely be integrated into iTunes, which Apple would convert into a social experience with real-time sharing services, in addition to being a storage tool.

"It?s no wonder Jobs gave the green light on live video-broadcasting apps for the iPhone: He could use app developers to help Apple get started."

Wired sees a potential future for iTunes as a "personal media hub," allowing streaming of music, videos, and personal content all accessible from anywhere. It could start with Apple enabling iPhone and iPod nano users to share their content with one another easily through iTunes.

Previously, Apple has shown increased interest in streaming video and content, albeit in more subtle ways. In October, a patent application suggested the company is looking to improve the quality of streaming video by making imperfections in compressed video less visible to the human eye. The described technology would mask artifacting that appears when video files are compressed to reduce their file size.

The company also launched a new HTTP Live Streaming standard with iPhone OS 3.0. The new open standard for live video streaming over HTTP aims to improve on QuickTime's RTSP streaming server option, which has run into issues in the past due to its traffic being blocked by many firewalls. The new format allows a server to maintain multiple version of clips in different formats, allowing an iPhone user with a Wi-Fi connection to have a higher quality version of the video, while users on an EDGE cellular data connection will have a lower-quality version to accommodate their bandwidth restrictions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Wouldn't it be logical to have itunese as another app on MobileMe. Just like Mail, AdressBook and Calender?

simply sync your music library to mobile me and stream it from there to any device with a webbrwoser...

Storage shouldn't be a problem as apple could only save one copy for every song of all its users and only have a link to it.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Don't forget iTunes Extras/iTunes LP. They're not streaming applications, per se, but they certainly indicate that Apple is continuing to move further into multi-platform distribution of video content.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Streaming is an excellent idea. especially when the cost is so low. what i worry about is the slow and in most cases out dated network i.e. 3G or 4G or in some cases 2.5G etc. certainly a very good way to enjoy music / video / multimedia . i wonder what would the big music producers SONY, BMG etc would do once this platform takes on. very interesting days to come.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Wouldn't it be logical to have itunese as another app on MobileMe. Just like Mail, AdressBook and Calender?

simply sync your music library to mobile me and stream it from there to any device with a webbrwoser...

Storage shouldn't be a problem as apple could only save one copy for every song of all its users and only have a link to it.

Agree. i have a *.txt file of my itunes music directory in the cloud.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

I have been using the service since iTools and I hope that they don?t integrate it into MM. Most iTunes users are on Windows and MM is nice but I?d wager that the number of users is less than the number of Mac users.

Some would buy MM to get the iTunes streaming but I think that it would fail all around and would open up the possibility for competing services to take hold, potentially usurping iTunes and/or iTunes Store.

Then consider the free OS Google is making for cheap PCs. It will be completely webcode-based, even though it will have local storage and offline access. I think the best method I think of right now is to use the www.itunes.com site to create an iTunes-like interface that allows for a complete iTunes-like experience.

The pricing seems up in the air. We know that Lala wasn?t able to make a profit on their method of unlimited streaming at 10¢ per son. Perhaps the streaming of audio may be free if you purchased your music from iTunes Store, otherwise a charge may be incurred. This may help encourage further iTS purchases in other to get this additional song option.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    It's the next logical step. Just wonder what the pricing will be..
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Cloud... here we come. First music, then books and video are soon to follow. Sounds like the end for the need to have large hard drive storage inside devices...
  • Reply 8 of 34
    And this underscores Apple's (and ours) need to add Verizon's network to handle the load.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wesley84 View Post

It's the next logical step. Just wonder what the pricing will be..

My guess is there will be no charge to stream content that you have purchased from the iTunes store. LaLa charged ten cents to stream a song you can show you own. Apple will get it's money by encouraging people to get that content through them. Most music on iPods were not purchased from iTunes - so would be ineligible for streaming. Apple would be adding value to iTunes purchased content by making only that available for streaming.

But, in addition, it's possible Apple would like to make money off the content you did not buy from them by charging you to stream what they see in your iTunes library - which would drive the rights holders crazy because much of that is pirated... unless Apple shares that with them.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

My guess is there will be no charge to stream content that you have purchased from the iTunes store. LaLa charged ten cents to stream a song you can show you own. Apple will get it's money by encouraging people to get that content through them. Most music on iPods were not purchased from iTunes - so would be ineligible for streaming. Apple would be adding value to iTunes purchased content by making only that available for streaming.

That is how I?m currently seeing the business model fall into place, too. So far this model does seem best as a valued added service to encourage iTS music purchases even more. This means that Apple doesn?t have to upload your library at all, just access the songs its servers know you have purchased.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

... which would drive the rights holders crazy because much of that is pirated...

Way to lump everyone together. I have over 9300 songs in iTunes (and I have 4 CDs that I haven't ripped to iTunes yet), only 230 of of those songs came from iTunes and NONE of them were pirated. And I like wearing pink too much to be a pirate besides.

Streaming my iTunes purchases would be meaningless to me as I have so few. Likewise, it wouldn't inspire me to buy from my iTunes because it would take a very long time before any meaningful fraction of my library could be streamed.

Further, you know this service is going to be locked in to Apple hardware on the mobile front and that's not something I'm interested in doing (being tied to Apple). I'd rather buy the CD and subscribe to Rhapsody to get access to that music anywhere I might be (along with millions of other songs I may or may not currently have as a CD or purchased download). Yes, I really do love subscription music.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company also launched a new HTTP Live Streaming standard with iPhone OS 3.0. The new open standard for live video streaming over HTTP aims to improve on QuickTime's RTSP streaming server option, which has run into issues in the past due to its traffic being blocked by many firewalls.

Did you see the initial demo of that technology at WWDC? It worked like crap. It might get through more firewalls, but well!
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Did you see the initial demo of that technology at WWDC? It worked like crap. It might get through more firewalls, but well!

I am under the impression that it works well with less overhead than other formats. Isn’t the MLB app for the iPhone OS using it for streaming video with success?

edit: Check out the site below on your iPhone. These are screenshots with fairly strong 3G connection…
    They are more than watchable. It took a couple second for the adaptive stream to not be blocky but pausing seems to alleviate that if you were so inclined. At any rate, it seems to work pretty well.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am under the impression that it works well with less overhead than other formats. Isn’t the MLB app for the iPhone OS using it for streaming video with success?

Only over WiFi and that's about VHS or TV over an antenna, but you're not a sports fan so you wouldn't know.

It's also not even remotely usable for 3G or Edge.

Spend the $5 and give a 30 page reason why I'm wrong. That would be the norm.

Edit. It's 7:31 Pacific Time, 10:31 New York Time.

Clocks on. How long will it take for your answer and yes you are still in the room so don't claim ignorance.

You are so good at it, as well as claiming to know all things tech.

Enlighten the room, something you've never been able to do.

And he's gone from the room. Not surprising in the least.

Welcome back. You're in the room again. I'll get my reading glasses on for your 30 page answer or are you just waiting for me to leave to slam me?

You edited your original posting like a coward rather than answering me. You seem to favor cartoons.

If I'm watching MLB I don't want studders or pauses over 3G, Edge or WiFi.

The artifacts are not forgiving on 3G which would and does make MLB a joke to try and watch.

You are giving 3G screen captures as an example? Buy the MLB package and watch a live game, I know it goes against your nature to watch sports but give it a try.

Edit 2. Buy a Zoon if you want a subscription streaming solution. Something this Forum has said was a Microsoft scam.

Welcome to the new Apple and iTunes. Apple has gone Microsoft to fight Google. Pathetic comes to mind.

Edit 3.

Yes, it does make for a great screen shot but my house is 802.11n (not draft) and I caugt up to the cartoon in about 10 seconds.

Imagine Alex Rodriguez passing 3rd base and you miss if he's safe. Doesn't make for entertaining sports or movies.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

Cloud... here we come. First music, then books and video are soon to follow. Sounds like the end for the need to have large hard drive storage inside devices...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Way to lump everyone together. I have over 9300 songs in iTunes (and I have 4 CDs that I haven't ripped to iTunes yet), only 230 of of those songs came from iTunes and NONE of them were pirated. And I like wearing pink too much to be a pirate besides.

Streaming my iTunes purchases would be meaningless to me as I have so few. Likewise, it wouldn't inspire me to buy from my iTunes because it would take a very long time before any meaningful fraction of my library could be streamed.

Further, you know this service is going to be locked in to Apple hardware on the mobile front and that's not something I'm interested in doing (being tied to Apple). I'd rather buy the CD and subscribe to Rhapsody to get access to that music anywhere I might be (along with millions of other songs I may or may not currently have as a CD or purchased download). Yes, I really do love subscription music.

you could say put up/sync up 789 of YOUR top rated songs onto the apple cloud farm

and play back/steam back these songs anywhere any time from a small pair of headphones

even // maybe if your at a bar >party > wedding type deal and the music sucks real bad . you could with a simple bluetooth /wifi plug DJ your own cloud songs to the fun and amazement of all .

The point being for apple and us IS having tiny low power non googlized / non ad driven steaming devices would be great . Our own personal hulu's /we already with idisk have almost all of this cloud stuff already ,

AND apple could now sell to over 3 billion poorer people low power low cost devices by the tens of millions by having a powerful cloud farm itunes based configuration..

google will not survive this if it happens / apple can bypass the while ad world and drive you into an apple dominated world with no ads at all and no flash at all either

i will shut up now

peace
  • Reply 16 of 34
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

I am under the impression that it works well with less overhead than other formats. Isn?t the MLB app for the iPhone OS using it for streaming video with success?

edit: Check out the site below on your iPhone. These are screenshots with fairly strong 3G connection?
    They are more than watchable. It took a couple second for the adaptive stream to not be blocky but pausing seems to alleviate that if you were so inclined. At any rate, it seems to work pretty well.

what is she looking at ????????????
  • Reply 17 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I am under the impression that it works well with less overhead than other formats. Isn?t the MLB app for the iPhone OS using it for streaming video with success?

edit: Check out the site below on your iPhone. These are screenshots with fairly strong 3G connection?

Apple were an original and large investor in Akamai then sold from what i recall. I was always curious why they didn't increase rather than reduce their interest given the obvious move to streaming coming. The only conclusion I could draw was Apple were planning to develop their own streaming system. What's your take on that scenario?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

you could say put up/sync up 789 of YOUR top rated songs onto the apple cloud farm

and play back/steam back these songs anywhere any time from a small pair of headphones

even // maybe if your at a bar >party > wedding type deal and the music sucks real bad . you could with a simple bluetooth /wifi plug DJ your own cloud songs to the fun and amazement of all .

The point being for apple and us IS having tiny low power non googlized / non ad driven steaming devices would be great . Our own personal hulu's /we already with idisk have almost all of this cloud stuff already ,

AND apple could now sell to over 3 billion poorer people low power low cost devices by the tens of millions by having a powerful cloud farm itunes based configuration..

google will not survive this if it happens / apple can bypass the while ad world and drive you into an apple dominated world with no ads at all and no flash at all either

i will shut up now

peace

You are absolutely right. Apple has seen the huge growth in streaming audio apps (have you noticed how many there are lately from every broadcaster and webcaster) that people are using. Pandora is one of them that consumers are using on their iPhone/Touch. LaLa allows AAPL to offer customized/pesonalized streams and "redirect" users back to AAPL. Apple can monetize Genius. Right now, Apple gets "zero" for iTunes and less and less consumers are purchasing music on iTunes. Wouldn't iTunes users pay a small fee to be able to stream music on handheld devices from a cloud that is based on the users personal iTunes library as well as new recommendations? Rhapsody had something similar called MyRhapsody where I could customize the artists I wanted to listen to as well suggested music tracks that were compared to my Rhapsody library. Apple doesn't invent new things. They take the best of what's out there and make it better than anyone else.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple were an original and large investor in Akamai then sold from what i recall. I was always curious why they didn't increase rather than reduce their interest given the obvious move to streaming coming. The only conclusion I could draw was Apple were planning to develop their own streaming system. What's your take on that scenario?

I think it?s a given that they are building one. It?s the future of modern computing; I don?t think anyone will deny that. How and why they will do it another story.

The only thing I see reported is a $12.5M investment a decade ago. They have pretty interesting clientele list according to Wikipedia, ranging from Apple, to MS, to the White House. Also, one of their founders was in one the American Airlines planes on 9/11. Too bad he could see what his company had become.
    That server farm does look like competition to Akami but on the surface it seems like it would just be cheaper to buy them out. Maybe not, that is why Apple has armies of bean counters to figure this stuff out.

I hope it?s not regulated to this area in NC, but spread out like Google and Akami servers tend to be so that you?re never more than a few hopes from your source.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Apple's progress with MobileMe and it's continued progress and yet to be seen features of iWork.com (beta) were clues long ago where the company plans to move towards (being RICH UI Web Apps).

Leaping forward, assumptions such as this article gives an interesting view of where iTunes, iPhone, the iPod lineup and Apple TV are headed. Apple may also venture into the VoIP realm to provide an innovative and better experience for Apple users. Skype and Google still haven't got it quite right yet, so apple could easily be a player in the VoIP space too.

Add all of this with streaming content and Apple will have yet again put its polish and shine on the industry, they created.