What to do with New (Spring 2009) Mac mini, unused?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My friend has a brand-new Mac mini (Spring 2009, C2D 2.0, 4GB, 320, with 10.5 and 3yr warranty) that so far, has never been used. (The box was opened once to look at the literature, but it was never unpacked.) Now my friend is asking me about SL 10.6 and the latest Mac minis:

Should they buy 10.6 themselves and install it over 10.5 ? Will they need to save any files on the mini first?

Or, should they buy 10.6 at the Apple Store and let a Genius bar tech install the new 10.6 ? Would that service cost any extra ?

Or, should they try to exchange the older unit for one of the newer units? The original unit came from Apple ~6 months ago, with the AppleCare warranty, plus extra to have the RAM maxed out. (They're not as worried about speed as memory and storage, heat and noise, known defects, etc.)

I know this is a lot but any insight would really be helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Apple won't exchange it... of course, neither would any other computer manufacturer.

Just use it. Buy SL (if they really want to, 10.5 works fine), and install it themselves. It's so easy even a caveman can do it!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Okay. Are there any files or folders, any important data that needs to be backed up first? (USB keys they know about; DVDs and ISOs are a foreign language.)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOSbox-gamer View Post

Okay. Are there any files or folders, any important data that needs to be backed up first? (USB keys they know about; DVDs and ISOs are a foreign language.)

No, just install 10.6 and worry not.