Patent suit takes aim at Apple's iTunes, MobileMe, QuickTime

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

@jerkman91

If you were standing right in front of me and SHOUTED the crap you've posted here (ALL CAPS!), I would knock your block off, you vacuous troll. If you don't like the iPhone/ATT connection, don't use it. What you're advocating here is childish, puerile, pathetic, and whinerific. (Is that language clean enough for you?)

Go haunt some other site with your "campaign alert," jerkman. (Why not try a Million Man March on DC next time?)

Well said!!
  • Reply 42 of 48
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

"U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia recently dismissed Marshall as a "renegade jurisdiction" that unfairly favors litigious patent holders." ("Court Marshall High-stakes patent lawsuits surge in small East Texas town" Austin American Statesman, April 16, 2006")

I have to ask if it is believed by one of the Justices of the Supreme Court that this is a "renegade jurisdiction" why in the name of justice is the place still allowed to operate like a loose cannon on deck? I have to also ask where is the appeals court for this region parking its brain?

it is a pity that the False Claims Act (also known as the Lincoln Law) can't be used to shut down this financial gravy train. Having hundreds of concerned US citizens suing this district on behalf of the Federal Government in their own districts would force somebody to do something about this court's flaky behavior.

What makes this problem even worse is that federal judges are appointed for life and it is extremely hard to do anything about the crap job some of them do.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Hi,Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,Here are the most popular, most stylish and avantgarde shoes,handbags,Tshirts,jacket,Tracksuitw ect...

http://www.kkshoe.com /productlist.asp?id=s76(Tracksuit)

Christmas is approaching, your Christmas gifts ready?

kkshoe com mall for you, which involves a number of well-known brands from the Asia-Pacific region the trend of merchandise. Promotional discounts should be, come SHOPPING bar!Christmas sale, free shipping discounts are beautifully gift ,Christmas gifts,look, Best quality, Best reputation , Best services Service is our Lift.

Nike shox $35,Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

ugg boot,POLO hoody,Jacket,ect...

For details, please consult http://www.kkshoe.com

Thanks!!! Advance wish you a merry Christmas.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

in this case the patent was filed in 1990 right about the time HTML was invented so you can't get more prior art than this

True but look at two issues

1. is this an idea patent or a tech patent. lately idea patents are getting tossed out more and more

2. has this company ever used this patent to make anything. if not then they are basically squatting on it and of late that is being more and more frowned upon.

I'm really thinking that the rules of war need to be amended so you can only file in the district that one of the parties is actually based in. Cause this running to Texas thing for an easy win is getting old.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

True but look at two issues

1. is this an idea patent or a tech patent. lately idea patents are getting tossed out more and more

2. has this company ever used this patent to make anything. if not then they are basically squatting on it and of late that is being more and more frowned upon.

I'm really thinking that the rules of war need to be amended so you can only file in the district that one of the parties is actually based in. Cause this running to Texas thing for an easy win is getting old.

Uh, no. Its not an "easy win". When you own a patent, you own a patent. Whether or not you make something out of it that week means absolutely nothing. If someone steals it, you should sue them.

If that someone is Apple or Microsoft, suing is not so easy. It make take some research before you find a judge with a righteous head on his shoulders, who has no problem serving justice where its deserved. Even when that means ruling against multi-billion dollar companies, when they've stolen intellectual property. They do it constantly, so I don't understand how people find this "frivolous". Nothing frivolous about it.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Actually, moving your lawsuit to Marshall says a lot about the deal. It seems that Marshall has set it self up as a place that favors the one suing. Time and again, they find for the patent holder no matter how stupid and how much prior art exists.

That is why companies with weak cases go there vs locally.

Just a thought. PS I live near Marshall, and its a pretty hick town.

en

sorry for the double post. Internet is glitchy today :-)

They should have a special patent court in every state & require the jury to be made up of people from all over the state. The time it would take to get a trial & the fact that a jury is a lot more likely to have tech savvy folks on it would deter a lot of these frivolous suits.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Uh, no. Its not an "easy win". When you own a patent, you own a patent. Whether or not you make something out of it that week means absolutely nothing. If someone steals it, you should sue them.

If that someone is Apple or Microsoft, suing is not so easy. It make take some research before you find a judge with a righteous head on his shoulders, who has no problem serving justice where its deserved. Even when that means ruling against multi-billion dollar companies, when they've stolen intellectual property. They do it constantly, so I don't understand how people find this "frivolous". Nothing frivolous about it.

The original intent of a patent was to protect a person's ideas & hard work. The concept of selling those ideas & hard work to me violates the original intent of patents, which was to allow anybody with a good idea & a plan for execution to make something of their dreams without some big company stepping on them.

The real issue I think is that there ought to be a different statute of limitations on the sale of a patent vs in the hands of the original patent holder. These companies are buying up old patents everyone has forgotten about & then they are looking for the closest match on the market with deep pockets that they can go & leech off of. It's pathetic & it's a concept that destroys the very fabric our culture.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The problem is this covers things that were handled in copyrighted software that predates this patent. Timbuktu from the late 1980s immediately comes to mind as does varies long defunct programs that used AppleTalk which were also copyrighter by their various developers. Mind telling me how you can patent something that is part of a copyrighted work?!?