AT&T halts online iPhone sales to New York City residents

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    Blah blah blah xenophobia blah blah blah.

Americans take everything way too seriously.

BTW the actual tag line was taken from a press release from here in Aus a few years ago.

But original post edited to remove link.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Blah blah blah xenophobia blah blah blah.

Americans take everything way too seriously.

BTW the actual tag line was taken from a press release from here in Aus a few years ago.

But original post edited to remove link.

Thank you -AG-, you got a good heart.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Here in Australia we only have GSM networks with Telstra requiring North American models (850MHz NextG) a different situation than the US with their legacy CDMA networks.

So why doesn't Telstra have the Blackberry Storm?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

The fact of the matter is there is a simple solution to all these arguments.

Have your government/a court come in and remove exclusivity rights to companies for things like phones etc. Or at least limit it to say 3 months like how they do it here is Australia.

There's more whining from NYC about iPhone's, than comes from JFK.

"No iPhone for you!"
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

http://www.cnbc.com/id/34611009

So it's looking like AT&T pulled a fast one to get Apple to handle the NY/NJ holiday iPhone traffic, and/or Apple wanted more traffic to their stores to increase sales.

I don't buy the cutting off sales of one device to a particular region over a fraud one bit.

If there is fraud, you make corrective steps, not simply deny everyone as a solution.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK, fair enough, but is NYC really a hotbed for that in ways and degrees that doesn't happen in other major cities?

yes

years ago before cell phones you would have people watch you as you made a calling card call at the port authority bus terminal and then sell your number to someone so they could call pakistan or some other such place for free and the phone company would eat the cost of the call
  • Reply 66 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Oops!. I guess all the conspiracy theorists have to wipe that egg off their faces now. iPhones are once again available online in NYC. And, of course, they never stopped being available in the stores. Why can't you just accept the obvious. It was a screw up. You all claim that at&t screws up all the time so why not this time too? But no, it has to be some evil plot, some sinister move, some planned action that warrants a look by the SEC, the FBI, the FTC, and one of Obama's czars or czarinas. OMFG the paranoia that permeates this place is scary.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1453..._sale_nyc.html
  • Reply 67 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pslice View Post

I agree.... Wah Wah..... There is not one Apple Store within 5 hours of driving for me and NYC'ers whine about this one.... Give me a HUGE break!

Clearly you are not a New Yorker. We DO NOT have cars. They are for the suckers who drive in from New Jersey and Long Island and clog up our streets.

Being this is my first posting, I suppose I should contribute something meaningful. My wife and I are chewing at the bit to get iPhones. We are Verizon users. If the iPhone came to Verizon we would buy it in a snap. As great as the phone is, I think most wireless users are committed to their service. There are fees to cancel a service and really, it is just a headache to switch. I know we are not alone in this. Apple would make a killing with the iPhone on Verizon.

Considering how exploitive they have been with ATT I bet Verizon is approaching with both eyes open and hefty requests. These are two real big companies who want a big piece of the pie.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

1) Do the Droid and Droid Eris have their Wi-Fi locked down?

2) Do the Droid and Droid Eris require a fee to access the Google App Store?

Thank the iPhone and kiss AT&T's feet for that. The OP's opinion is probably why Verizon turned it down, and Apple went to AT&T.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    AT&T has been on the short end of the PR stick lately, hasn't it?

They should spend less time damage controlling and more time improving the user experience.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by electraluxx View Post

Clearly you are not a New Yorker.

I don't understand why you would have to point this out, it doesn't look like the person you replied to has anything to do with NYC, and did not say anything at all that would suggest otherwise.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

Wrong!!! I read another article this morning where an ATT spokesman said there were "not enough towers".

Could you reference the second article please?
  • Reply 72 of 73
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nice troll but you forgot one thing. You can still get an iPhone in NYC from an at&t or Apple store. This is about online sales only. So how does that fit in with your theory about at&t's network not being able to "handle" the iPhone? Oh, and first tier service reps rarely, if ever, get any official word about what's going on anyway. So maybe this Daphne pulled this statement out of her ass? I realize that at&t hatred is an all consuming hobby right now with trolls but you really need to think things out before posting. It gives the art of trolling a bad name.

ummm you don't know what 'troll' means. But congrats because now YOU are the troll and a loser [because you have been banned by AT&T].
  • Reply 73 of 73
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wfrank View Post

Do you think apple would like to rethink their choice of carrier? AT&T has got to be the worst. So apple what do you do for a network for the tablet? AT&T. You have got to be kidding me !!!!

you can't make this shit up

Quote:
    Originally Posted by siriusvector View Post

So when is the next Verizon ad??

good one

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Unbelievable.

bingo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pslice View Post

I agree.... Wah Wah..... There is not one Apple Store within 5 hours of driving for me and NYC'ers whine about this one.... Give me a HUGE break!

i have 14 stores within 5 hrs drives

ATT has cut off NYC and surrounding area's from buying the number one device ever made>> online sales .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenwaves View Post

Big deal.

it is...

ATT just threw in the towel

ATT is Small cell carrier in NYC compared to verizon

I'm sure it's not that hard for Manhattanites to visit one of the FOUR Apple stores on the island!

we visit all of the stores like a rock concert tour and don't forget 6 stores in nyc and 7 stores in NJ

3 stores in the DC AREA

and best buy will due when we need a quick fix

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

a device for the Verizon network? I can't believe they would give it to ATT.

apple regrets ATT

verizon will outsell ATT

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I bet Daphne is popular in the AT & T canteen today! LOL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe the iSlate, when unable to use Wi-Fi, tethers to an iPhone for 3G ... ??? just a wild off the wall comment with no basis whatsoever to be taken seriously

hey the islate is much cooler topic anyway

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

No network was prepared for the iPhone data tsunami. None. Verizon may have handled the load a bit better (perhaps) but they would have buckled too.

Thompson

NO WAY JOSE

Verizon has build towers and re-peaters all over manhattan for 30 yrs

verizon cell calls have 15 or 20 small dead zones city wide but super strong all over thew rest of NYC even on the one uptown subway train i get calls .

ATT has no dead zones at all .but they have huge low service low connection area's all over the 5 counties and NJ and Westchester

go to VEGAS on a shuttle bus to the convention hall and ATT drops all the calls over and over

verizon clients just talk away wondering what the hub buib is .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Verizon may have even had more troubles than AT&T in some areas since a CDMA towers are more spread out than AT&T towers thus more iPhones per tower may have caused even more problems making the big city issues with AT&T occur over larger areas and faster.

no way jose

verizon has yrs to watch ATT screw up and learn from them

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nice troll but you forgot one thing. You can still get an iPhone in NYC from an at&t or Apple store. This is about online sales only. So how does that fit in with your theory about at&t's network not being able to "handle" the iPhone? Oh, and first tier service reps rarely, if ever, get any official word about what's going on anyway. So maybe this Daphne pulled this statement out of her ass? I realize that at&t hatred is an all consuming hobby right now with trolls but you really need to think things out before posting. It gives the art of trolling a bad name.

ATT JUST DID THE LOWEST THING EVER

THEY MADE ALL THOSE VERIZON ADS TRUE

ATT JUST BOWED DOWN ON ONE KNEE AND PLEADS FOR HELP

THE DATA FLOOD HAS SWAMPED ATT TO0 THE POINT THEY REfUSE SALES

THE FCC WILL FINE ATT BIG TIME

AND APPLE IS NOW FORCED TO OPEN UP TO ALL THE IPHONE

re THE COORS BEER LAWSUIT

i am floored by this att see;s a worse situation by having more sales