Slow network timeouts

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got a new iMac, and it seems to take a long time to timeout network connections to bad hosts. For example, on the Mac it's replacing I can just type "apple" into the Safari address bar, and since that's not a real address Safari would be smart enough enough to almost instantly replace it with "www.apple.com". The new iMac takes about 30 seconds to do this. It causes a number of web sites to load slowly since quite a few seem to pull non-essential resources from other servers that aren't always up (ads, etc.).

I can verify that it takes 30 seconds by running "time ping apple" in the Terminal, which takes almost exactly 30 seconds each time before saying "cannot resolve host". The old Mac fails instantly. Can someone else try this on Snow Leopard an let me know if it's fast or slow for you. I restarted in bootcamp/Windows 7 and I do not have this issue there: ping times out right away.

I don't think this is a DNS issue since the two macs have the same DNS server. Also, "nslookup apple" on the new Mac immediately says "can't find apple," like I'd expect.

Any ideas on what causes this delay? The new Mac is on Snow Leopard; the old is on plain Leopard. I'm not going through any proxy servers or running any ad blockers or the like.