How do I transfer files from my Mac to a laptop with XP?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The title pretty much says it all. I have a netbook with XP (and Jolicloud, actually). I'd like to transfer some music from my Mac to the netbook. What's the easiest way to do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Wifi sharing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1812

Or you could format an external drive (flash or HDD) as FAT32 and copy them that way.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Apparently, for 10.6, there's a different link (but thanks for the one you sent as it helped me find the proper one for Snow Leopard)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...6/en/8201.html

Still... that info only tells how to turn on file sharing, but it doesn't explain how to actually share files. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to XP.

...anybody know how to share files between a Mac and XP? Do I need to turn on some sort of file sharing in Windows? How do I actually transfer files once it's all set up?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Sounds like the EASIEST way for you to do this might be spending $9.99 on a 4GB USB flash drive...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Sounds like the EASIEST way for you to do this might be spending $9.99 on a 4GB USB flash drive...

Amen!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    It's just so surprising to me that in 2010, there still isn't an easy way for two computers to see each other and swap content... especially when they're already sharing the same wifi. Crazy.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It's really not hard... if you know how to configure both machines.

But you already said you were clueless regarding windows... so... USB drive is probably easiest FOR YOU.

I wasn't being condescending... I just got the impression you would find that EASIER than trying to properly configure XP.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Gotcha. No worries... but I'd really like to learn how to set up both my Mac and cheapo netbook, and be able to transfer files on a somewhat regular basis.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Gotcha. No worries... but I'd really like to learn how to set up both my Mac and cheapo netbook, and be able to transfer files on a somewhat regular basis.

Maybe FREE Teamviewer, cross-platform collaboration software, works for you. It works like a dream across the net. Recommended.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Still... that info only tells how to turn on file sharing, but it doesn't explain how to actually share files. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to XP.

...anybody know how to share files between a Mac and XP? Do I need to turn on some sort of file sharing in Windows? How do I actually transfer files once it's all set up?

This guide should cover what you need for two-way sharing:

http://tech.ifelix.net/3020.html

Connect PC to Mac - You basically turn on SMB sharing on the OS X side and share a folder and access it using XP's Network Places.

Connect Mac to PC - select a folder, right-click to set sharing and security and configure the options. Then from the Mac, connect to the XP machine's IP address using smb:// or the Network link if it shows up and enter the connection details.

If you install Bonjour for Windows, it will probably help show up the XP machine over the network to OS X without having to use the Connect to Server box but see if it shows up ok normally when you enable a folder for Windows sharing.