Who else is sick of the parasite called Palm?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
First, the general shape of the device, then iTunes, to the card interface (a direct rip from Safari), to the look of many of the icons, to video editing: all direct rip-offs of the iPhone.

Their new games are even nothing more than iPhone ports. It is not as if they have an SDK that anyone wants to write original programs for. Everything about the product and the company, down to the CEO is a sign of Apple envy. I am ready for this KIRF company to go away and die the bad death it deserves. And to think, I used to like this company. I have no problem with legitimate competition, but copying is not competing; it's theft.

Am I alone in this, are do others feel the same way I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Back in the day, I liked Palm. My Pilot worked wonders until Sony released the Clie, but it also ran Palm OS. Then came the iPhone and I will never look back...

Palm as of late doesn't have the innovation they once had.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I love competition, yay Palm!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    How do you define competition?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I don't have anything against Palm but they are ripping Apple's style as much as possible. Though it doesn't really matter because they simply don't have the infrastructure to keep up with iPhone/Android/Win Mobile
  • Reply 5 of 9
    For me, it doesn't matter that they're small. They are still a bunch of filthy, kirfing thieves. They're no better than Psystar. I'm more than ready to be shed of them. They bring nothing to the market but noise and confusion. They want to be Apple so bad, they've forgotten what it is to be Palm. As far as i'm concerned, Palm is already dead. The thing that is wearing their body deserves no more pity than an un-dead zombie.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I sometimes wonder if Rubinstein has some resentment towards Apple. He used to work there on the ipod products and then jumped ship to Palm. Maybe he felt that he could be a Jobs-like figure in another company.

A lot of their behavior is in pretty bad taste - clearly launching products near an iphone launch and using itunes to sync. I don't think Pre is all that much like the iphone in design and software - obviously the fact it does touch leads to a close comparison but they have some uniqueness to their products.

Their PDAs had a lot of success where the original Newton didn't. Their Palm Foleo failed but netbooks took off after it.

Their recent incarnation of the Pre seems to be better and the device looks to be running quite smoothly. They had Need for Speed running on it and it very effortlessly slides out into card view for other apps running simultaneously.

So although I find their attitude quite distasteful and lacking respect for what Apple have done, I still see their products as quite innovative and I hope Apple can replicate some of the functionality.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I sometimes wonder if Rubinstein has some resentment towards Apple. He used to work there on the ipod products and then jumped ship to Palm. Maybe he felt that he could be a Jobs-like figure in another company.

A lot of their behavior is in pretty bad taste - clearly launching products near an iphone launch and using itunes to sync. I don't think Pre is all that much like the iphone in design and software - obviously the fact it does touch leads to a close comparison but they have some uniqueness to their products.

Their PDAs had a lot of success where the original Newton didn't. Their Palm Foleo failed but netbooks took off after it.

Their recent incarnation of the Pre seems to be better and the device looks to be running quite smoothly. They had Need for Speed running on it and it very effortlessly slides out into card view for other apps running simultaneously.

So although I find their attitude quite distasteful and lacking respect for what Apple have done, I still see their products as quite innovative and I hope Apple can replicate some of the functionality.

I've wondered the same thing. We've all heard the stories of what an utter bastard Jobs can be; you have to wonder if Rubenstein didn't get humiliated in some way, or at least feel that he had been. To the point that he really, really wants to shove it Jobs' face.

Maybe when the iPhone project got going he didn't get the full participation he felt he had earned, and was left to helm what was clearly a deprecated iPod unit.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

I don't think Pre is all that much like the iphone in design and software - obviously the fact it does touch leads to a close comparison but they have some uniqueness to their products.

Design... hmmm... Big square capacitive touch screen with home button at the bottom center for navigation and no other buttons. Looking at a Pre from the front, the only design differences are that the Pre is smaller with more rounded corners. They tried to make an iPhone with a keyboard. Look at the Pre next to all previous Palm devices and you will see that it does not fit with what they had been doing. It looks more at home in an iPhone line-up.

Also, do tell about the uniqueness. Name the groundbreaking innovation the Pre brings to the market.

Quote:

They had Need for Speed running on it and it very effortlessly slides out into card view for other apps running simultaneously.

I seem to remember Need for Speed being released for the iPhone about a year ago... for the iPhone. What the Pre has is a direct port. Palm has been working on ways to make porting apps easier. That is because no one actually wants to write WebOS native apps. It is the closest they can come to stealing the apps written for the iPhone. In Palm's ideal world, if someone is writing an iPhone app, they can just click a check box and make it a Palm app too.

It is disingenuous for Palm to pretend that any real developer actually cares about the Palm platform just because they did a minimal port of an app they wrote fore someone else's device.

As for card view, just look at mobile Safari. Card view is nothing more than an extension of flipping through open browser pages.

Palm has been in the mobile game for ages. They had plenty of their own work from which to draw. Instead, they pooled all of their resources together to invent... wait for it... an iPhone with a keyboard. Don't get me wrong, they are not alone, but they are among the worst of the hypocrites pretending to do something more than make their own company's branded version of the iPhone. Whatever innovation Palm brought to the market is long past. It is time for them to go.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Also, do tell about the uniqueness. Name the groundbreaking innovation the Pre brings to the market.

Well after all they were the very first company to say F the patents and steal multitouch from Apple.

Gotta give them that!