Apple tablet set for Q2 launch with aluminum casing - report

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oooh, Chester is watching. Cool.

It's true, the chance of that "Holy Shit" moment is a lot of the fun of being an Apple head. I don't think too many tech companies afford their customers that chance. Does anybody expect MS to knock their socks off? I think their customers are just generally happy if they can continue to drag the vast carcass of their enterprise incrementally into the future.

Apple, now, Apple is that weird combination of infuriatingly conservative and steady as she goes and abrupt bet the farm lunges. I'm starting to suspect that a tablet would be more of a lunge than I figured.......

Here's something that might amuse you adda. It would seem Trumpty has managed to get himself life banned from AN. At least, his user name has the rather final "I am worthless beyond hope" epitaph beneath it that's usually reserved for such cases.

Don't say I never do anything to put a smile on your face.

I still love ya Trumpty! Kinda. In a somewhat masochistic sort of way. Not that I should worry about insulting Trumpty. I'm pretty sure he's uninsultable.
  • Reply 102 of 116
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

Here's something that might amuse you adda. It would seem Trumpty has managed to get himself life banned from AN. At least, his user name has the rather final "I am worthless beyond hope" epitaph beneath it that's usually reserved for such cases.

Don't say I never do anything to put a smile on your face.

I still love ya Trumpty! Kinda. In a somewhat masochistic sort of way. Not that I should worry about insulting Trumpty. I'm pretty sure he's uninsultable.

Hmmm, wonder what he did. My impression was that he was pretty circumspect over there, with regard to the local customs? And you're right, I don't think the guy gets insulted, that would be strategically disadvantageous. Maybe the great outmigration of foils on AO left the poor guy with excess axes to grind?

Hey NIck, what'd you do over there? Go Galt on somebody's ass?
  • Reply 103 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oooh, Chester is watching. Cool.

It's true, the chance of that "Holy Shit" moment is a lot of the fun of being an Apple head. I don't think too many tech companies afford their customers that chance. Does anybody expect MS to knock their socks off? I think their customers are just generally happy if they can continue to drag the vast carcass of their enterprise incrementally into the future.

Apple, now, Apple is that weird combination of infuriatingly conservative and steady as she goes and abrupt bet the farm lunges. I'm starting to suspect that a tablet would be more of a lunge than I figured.......

I still think the 'Holy Shit' moment will be when the UI is discovered to be a 3D interface without the requirement of glasses. Imagine navigating a 3D interface and navigating apps and playing games in 3D. THAT would be a pretty sweet leap in computing and entertainment.
  • Reply 104 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

BTW, did teckstud get banned - haven't heard from him in a while? Kinda miss his acerbity.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. He was a bit random, but he was always amusing
  • Reply 105 of 116
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heathsnow View Post

I still think the 'Holy Shit' moment will be when the UI is discovered to be a 3D interface without the requirement of glasses. Imagine navigating a 3D interface and navigating apps and playing games in 3D. THAT would be a pretty sweet leap in computing and entertainment.

That's actually a brilliant idea!

The technology is definitely available:

- ultra high-res LCD (think 200+ dpi like on the iPod 'phatty')

- lenticular lens

Glasses-less 3D solutions based on lenticular lenses have the disadvantage that there's only a short viewing distance in which the 3D effect is working.

But hey, that's perfect for a tablet as most tablets are single-user held at arm-length distance.

And Apple certainly played around with 3D user interfaces.

However (you knew this would be coming!) there are two issues:

- Lenticular lenses lock you into either portrait or landscape mode. No way to get a 3D effect with both orientations. Unless Apple employs a yet-unheard of new glasses-less 3D technology.

- Apple typically makes baby steps with hardware. They rarely use breakthrough new hardware technology. They more likely use incrementally improved hardware and breakthrough new software.

A new tablet as such and being it 3D is almost too much hardware innovation in one go for Apple IMHO.

So it's probably bound to be a dream only...
  • Reply 106 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    VESA has ratified DisplayPort v1.2 which, like LightPeak will allow for USB data along with audio and video to be transmitted. It is copper-based, unlike LightPeak’s fiber optic with a copper power feed, but it’s here now, unlike LightPeak.
    My question: Could this be a fit for Apple and their tablet to allow a very small miniDisplayPort port that could allow for HD video out, data transfer and charging, or would the iPod Dock Connector or some non-iDevice port setup be better for this device?
  • Reply 107 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankb View Post

Plastic is not stiff enough to keep the display from flexing. I'm guessing magnesium alloy for the premium lighter weight version. Magnesium is the new platinum for the gadget geeks

Steve's had an affinity for Magnesium since the days of the NeXTstation.
  • Reply 108 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

VESA has ratified DisplayPort v1.2 which, like LightPeak will allow for USB data along with audio and video to be transmitted. It is copper-based, unlike LightPeak’s fiber optic with a copper power feed, but it’s here now, unlike LightPeak.
    My question: Could this be a fit for Apple and their tablet to allow a very small miniDisplayPort port that could allow for HD video out, data transfer and charging, or would the iPod Dock Connector or some non-iDevice port setup be better for this device?

See my reference to the new AMD mobile GPGPUs in this forum.
  • Reply 109 of 116
    Awesome! Now you get to hold one giant heat sink in your hands.....I see a market for Apple oven mitts in the future!
  • Reply 110 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Awesome! Now you get to hold one giant heat sink in your hands.....I see a market for Apple oven mitts in the future!

Can you explain that post? It seems to be a bit random.
  • Reply 111 of 116
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Nope!! This thing, if it exists, is BLACK AND GLOSSY.

Like if you took the screen off one of these?

That's what I'm thinking of when I imagine this tablet thing. I'm looking at an XEL-1 right now and as beautiful as the picture looks I'm really not liking the idea of this tablet.
  • Reply 112 of 116
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

Like if you took the screen off one of these?

That's what I'm thinking of when I imagine this tablet thing. I'm looking at an XEL-1 right now and as beautiful as the picture looks I'm really not liking the idea of this tablet.

You might notice that the reason for that big box is to put all the components into. It's just not realistic nowadays to expect a 6mm thick tablet.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Oh well in that case I'm going to love it.
  • Reply 114 of 116
    The 26th/27th are fast approaching... if this rumor is true, there should be an invite released soon...

Here's to hoping!
  • Reply 115 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You might notice that the reason for that big box is to put all the components into. It's just not realistic nowadays to expect a 6mm thick tablet.

Well the iPhone is 11.6mm, so I'm not sure why someone would even suggest that.
  • Reply 116 of 116
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

I'm guessing he owns a MacBook Air.