Authoring software for iSlate?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since it sure looks like Apple is going to release a tablet computer, does it not follow that companies will need some kind of authoring software to release publications on this device?

Apple does not just offer products, they offer solutions. That is why they are successful. It is their ability to do both hardware, operating systems, applications, and content delivery that make them head and shoulders above the crowd.

The iSlate should do movies, music, web, etc. What delivery target do publishers aim for? Does it not make sense for Apple to release their own digital authoring application, something along the lines of iTunes LP/Flash/iWeb/Pages/DTP/Keynote/iDVD? The fact that we are starting to get all these numerous applications that overlap shows we need a new authoring application and a new standard. I sure hope Apple is not just creating the iSlate hardware; I want them to take over the digital authoring side of things too. Adobe is just too slow, fat, and expensive. I am sick of paying their $1,000 upgrades.

I also want Apple to take over the publication and delivery realm. With iTunes and the iPhone App Store, Apple has the infrastructure to be the clearing house for all digital publication. They can use an expanded Safari to display this new digital content even on a PC.

In short, there is a lot more at stake in this tablet arena then just hardware. I expect to see authoring and online store too. Whoever wins this battle can control the digital publishing standards for years to come. That is what the iPod did to music. I want Apple to take over all the video and publishing world too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    All of that could be offered in iPhone SDK 4.0.

Also I expect much more support for iSlate when WWDC rolls around and devheads get a first look at what's coming in Xcode.

When you think about it ...it's been fairly quiet regarding SDK for iPhone OS and Xcode in general. Apple hasn't been sitting around doing nothing.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by visionary View Post

Since it sure looks like Apple is going to release a tablet computer, does it not follow that companies will need some kind of authoring software to release publications on this device?

My guess:

Content providers will sell (or give away) applications. And these apps will allow the content providers to sell subscriptions or individual publications.

We might not see an Apple-created publications manager.

C.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Either way, you won't see the SDK for a new product until that product is announced...

The tablet IS still just a rumor !