Hope iTablet has a scroll Wheel

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know Apple don't comment on things before they are released, but I really hope that the Tablet device they are planning has a proper Scroll Wheel to make reading text better. I know that traditionally Macs haven't supported the idea, but I really hope that the tablet is the place that they find a really good way to support scrolling of text and books.



I'm trying hard to flag this issue, because the current batch of tablets and e-readers are terrible for turning pages and scrolling text, which at best slows your reading down and at worst increases eye-strain and RSI.



Anyway I've set up a campaign on Facebook and I really hope somebody takes notice.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Campai...8687022?ref=nf



Anybody got any thoughts as to how I could approach Apple?

Or do you think there's a better way to support text reading?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    why a scroll wheel when you'll have a gesture for that?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post


    why a scroll wheel when you'll have a gesture for that?



    Exactly. If you've ever used an iPhone/iPod Touch, recent Mac laptop or Magic Mouse, you'd realize that a scroll wheel is a far worse scrolling solution than Apple provides.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I hope the OP is joking. Apple has clearly come up with a much better solid state/software solution to this problem. Why have a physical scroll wheel to gum up the works and add an obvious element of discontinuity to what will surely be a sleek and functional design?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eslweb View Post


    I ... really hope that the Tablet device they are planning has a proper Scroll Wheel ...



    Moving parts ... bad!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,171moderator
    The iphone has tilt to scroll while you read and it works quite well. I don't think a wheel is an improvement. Turning the page is as simple as a tap but the iphone supports continuous scroll so you never need to turn the page.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,796member
    Scroll wheels are dead, a touchscreen tablet won't need one.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'm not ready to rule out all physical controls for touch screen devices such as pocket computers or tablets. A clean design is nice. But when quality physical input controls can be included and hold up to years of use, I'm willing to entertain the option.



    Such as for pocket computers. They are held during typical use and since already being held, a user's fingers can easily operate a common feature at the same time.



    Imagine if volume didn't have hardware buttons... the same case can reasonably be made for perhaps a few other features, scrolling being one of them. The iPhone's selection of physical buttons is nice. But I don't think it is the final evolution or even anywhere close to the optimal design. That might take decades to finally become apparent and even then it will vary based upon the user's typical usage.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    No mechanical wheels of any kind. Thanks. You are giving me nightmares from the trackball days. If turning pages is your only issue, then a kindle style "next / previous" button on either side of the screen is better than a scroll wheel.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    The difficulty with previous & Next on the touchscreen is that you lose the flow of the words and tourchscreens are all very well, but it doesn't take into account that you'll be holding something like the iTablet and a simple motion near where you are holding the tablet would be so much easier than having to move your whole hand everytime from the side of the device to the top. Also the tilt is a good idea, but I do wonder how many people could hold a reading device still for an extended period.



    I know that mechanical wheels can be bad and unreliable and the trackball designs attracted a lot of dust, but volume control buttons don't appear to suffer from the same problems and I am sure that Apple could innovate and do something even better, that is comfortable to read for extended periods and allows you to move the text easily and at a pace to suit you.



    I am not for one second suggesting that Apple should change the iPhone or iPod touch, because those devices are not JUST designed for reading, but an iTablet or Kindle like device is a very different matter. I'll be very happy if Apple come up with something better, but I want them to think about it. So far the e-readers I've seen all seem to suffer from the same problems.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eslweb View Post


    I know Apple don't comment on things before they are released, but I really hope that the Tablet device they are planning has a proper Scroll Wheel to make reading text better. I know that traditionally Macs haven't supported the idea, but I really hope that the tablet is the place that they find a really good way to support scrolling of text and books.



    I'm trying hard to flag this issue, because the current batch of tablets and e-readers are terrible for turning pages and scrolling text, which at best slows your reading down and at worst increases eye-strain and RSI.



    Anyway I've set up a campaign on Facebook and I really hope somebody takes notice.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Campai...8687022?ref=nf



    Anybody got any thoughts as to how I could approach Apple?

    Or do you think there's a better way to support text reading?



    .
Sign In or Register to comment.