Duplicate an open window

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I know I should know how to do this and probably have done it in the past; however, I can't recall how. I want to duplicate an open window, not just a new one. Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Duplicate an open window in what?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Duplicate an open window in what?

OS X - Finder-desktop
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

OS X - Finder-desktop

OK, you want duplicate Finder windows. What's wrong with selecting the File/New Finder Window or pressing [cmd]+[n]?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    CMD + CTRL + O will open a folder in a new window. Maybe that is what you are looking for.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I guess I wasn't clear. I do NOT want to open a NEW window. I want to duplicate a window that's already open. Supposing, I have a particular window open and I want to copy something from that window to the same window but in a different folder in that window.

I can open a NEW window and navigate to the same window that I have open already. Then I can move or copy from one window to the other. I'd rather skip the step or steps of navigation.

I JUST want to open a COPY of the first window without doing the navigation.

I think I'm getting myself confused. I'm probably confusing you.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I think I'm getting myself confused. I'm probably confusing you.

Certainly there is no confusion here. I just wanted to be sure that you were asking for what I was afraid you were asking for. What you are asking for is somewhat akin to asking for a left-handed spoon.

A window is a view on some level of the file system. I have multiple indistinguishable open windows on certain folders. Selecting File/New Finder Window ten times creates ten indistinguishable Finder Windows. Another method for creating indistinguishable windows is wasteful and unnecessary.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Certainly there is no confusion here. I just wanted to be sure that you were asking for what I was afraid you were asking for. What you are asking for is somewhat akin to asking for a left-handed spoon.

A window is a view on some level of the file system. I have multiple indistinguishable open windows on certain folders. Selecting File/New Finder Window ten times creates ten indistinguishable Finder Windows. Another method for creating indistinguishable windows is wasteful and unnecessary.

I believe the request could be phrased as "How do I open a new window to the same location as the current foreground window?".

One solution is, you do Show Path Bar (view menu), then hold Command and double click on the icon in the path bar that represents the current folder.

Amorya
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

I believe the request could be phrased as "How do I open a new window to the same location as the current foreground window?".

One solution is, you do Show Path Bar (view menu), then hold Command and double click on the icon in the path bar that represents the current folder.

Amorya

That's exactly what I wanted. It worked.

Thanks
  • Reply 9 of 12

thanks Amorya

i have had all sorts of convoluted ways of doing this in the past, with various keyboard shortcuts, but this is really simple

jonathan

• Reply 10 of 12
    Fred4Fred4 Posts: 3member
    It's funny, this big conversation for such a simple question. I thought the question was quite clear, but the answer is not.
    Probably because there is no real answer. Only half an answer.

It's dumb that Apple didn't include this, either under the "Window" menu; "Duplicate Window", or the "File" menu would have worked.

Since people were so confused, here's the reason;

If you are moving files in a window with many files (maybe cleaning your downloads folder, moving media, or cleaning up a server), and you are trying to move them to a sub folder in the same window. It's a pain to command-select them, drag them, and make the window scroll. It's slow, and messes up a lot, especially with a track pad, but even with a mouse.

So, the solution has been to open a new window, and have to navigate to where you already are, all over again, when all you wanted to do was duplicate the top window that you're already working in.

I was searching for an answer, and came across this conversation, but no solution. I was hoping for a plug-in, AppleScript, or something.
    I ended up almost finding half a solution here, almost, because it made me discover the correct answer, but the answer here doesn't work.
    I may try to make my own AppleScript later, but it's weird that Apple missed this. I think even Windows has this ability. If I remember correctly, it's just "Duplicate Window".

One user was almost half right about the path bar, but you cannot command double-click it. That does nothing.
    If you right-click it, then pick "Open in New Window", that does it.
    I say it's only half a solution, because it's not in the menu bar, so you cannot assign a key press to the command, like opt-cmd- n, w, d, or whatever you want.

I hope that clears it up a little, and maybe Apple will add the option in another decade.
    Even the application Pathfinder missed the ball on this one.
    It's something so simple, and so needed.

• Reply 11 of 12
    I made it work.
    Interestingly, it wouldn't work as an AppleScript, or even turning it into an app, and pitting it in the apps folder.
    I had to make an Automator action with the script, then assign my shortcut to the action in services.

It now works flawlessly, but it takes a second to pop.

Here's my code;

• tell application "Finder"
    • activate
    • if exists Finder window 1 then
    • set currentDir to target of Finder window 1 as alias
    • else
    • set currentDir to desktop as alias
    • end if
    • make new Finder window to currentDir
    • end tell

You cannot just tell the Finder to open the path, because it will always just go to the already opened window.

Unless someone comes up with a more simple or faster way of doing it, it at least works for now...

• Reply 12 of 12
    or, updated code. Idk if it's any better, but it works too;

• tell application "Finder"
    • if exists Finder window 1 then
    • set currentDir to target of Finder window 1 as alias
    • else
    • set currentDir to desktop as alias
    • end if
    • set clonedwindow to make new Finder window to currentDir
    • end tell