Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device

Comments

• Reply 21 of 257
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I don't buy the design. Certainly not an alu back. The thing will spend most of its time lying on its back getting scratched up. There will be some other material on the back side. Also don't buy the OSX interface.

Yeah, the article says that it is a mock-up that is close in look to the actual device (by luck, not because the artist knew what it looked like).

It's clear that if there is a home button, it's either in a corner of the device (depending on how you hold it), or in the middle of the screen, but the tablet will be Portrait, not Landscape, in use. The mock-up is in Landscape. I.e., it will literally be a giant iPod touch.

And that will be best for full-screen eBooks, magazines and newspapers.

Obviously the device will be rotatable, for games and other types of applications. I expect that even the "desktop" UI of the tablet will adjust to this, not just applications.
  • Reply 22 of 257
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know if that's a sufficient rebuttal against the idea. The aluminum shelled notebooks seem to hold up pretty well. My old style 2007 MBP still looks nice, and my sister's early 2006 doesn't look too bad. Assuming it's done like that, the standard tiny bumpers under the corners and a clear anodized surface should make it sufficiently scratch resistant. Definitely more so than plastic, IMO. And you could have the unibody concept lending it rigidity while keeping the number of parts down.

True - I was seeing as a large iPhone but I agree with you.

Quote:

I understand that one. It is a fan rendering, after all. There's a lot of speculation as to what the UI will be, I don't think it makes sense to say what it won't be, because Apple fans can be wrong about their declarations of what isn't going to be an Apple product. I recall some fans saying the "fat" nano will never happen, the same with the vertical screen nano, premature declarations of the death of the Classic, the leaked photo of the aluminum keyboard was just a "photoshop job" and so on. Whatever it will be, it will be, hopefully people don't stake their reputation on a prediction of any particular detail. I don't even think this upcoming announcement even has to be a tablet, though I think it probably is a tablet in some form. Hopefully it's going to be something good and not a repeat of the overhyped iPod HiFi announcement.

Sure, but the fun is in speculating. This is something new entirely, remember. What I personally believe is that the interface will be much closer to the iPhone / iPod touch. The OSX environment may be available to users but I think probably not. Folders may be available through an app similar to the idisk app on the iPhone. For a living-room device the SL interface is just too finicky and messy imo. If the device will be targeted as a family sharing device (genius marketing), the interface will reflect that. But I do believe it will have some kind of dock as it will be a much 'deeper' device and there will be a need for a more sophisticated navigation.
  • Reply 23 of 257
  • Reply 24 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

In the past it has usually been the protective case manufacturers that have leaked the form factor of new designs. To date we have not seen any prototypes. This might indicate that the protective cases are incompatible with the possible touch interface on the back. I hope it does include this feature. I never used a protective case anyway. I can live with a few scratches for a less bulky feeling device.

they're either making their own in-house case, or waiting until the device is announced before releasing specs to 3rd parties, like the original iPHone.
  • Reply 25 of 257
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    The concept shows OSX, but the mystery ARM CPU Apple has supposedly been working on pretty much rules that out, if its true. An upscaled and enhanced Iphone OS is much more likely. Unless Apple has been working away for the last couple of years writing OSX for ARM. Remember, it took them years to write it again when they switched from PowerPC to x86 (years with the help of Intel, which they won't have this time), this isn't something that can be done in a short time.

Anyways, that concept looks damn sexy, thats what matters
  • Reply 26 of 257
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Like the rendering, its 10-inch display is framed by a black border that bleeds into its wrap-around aluminum enclosure. ...

I'm not sure you guys really understand what the term "bleeds" means in this context.
  • Reply 27 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speedster View Post

I'm not a big fan of the color, but my kids are going to love it......

YES !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.
  • Reply 28 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

Where is the Apple logo? How can one miss it?
  • Reply 29 of 257
    I can't see an iPad being as thin as an iPhone. It'd be too thin for a device that big.

Holding it for long periods of time would induce pain in the area between the thumb and pointing finger. The underside of the device wouldn't be able to rest on the entire surface of the palm, resting only on the tips of the four fingers, which would also act as a fulcrum with most of the opposing weight pushing up on the meaty part of the thumb/pointing finger junction.

Try it. Grab a hardcover book about the same dimensions as the purported iPad to see what I'm talking about. And don't forget to "type" on the screen. Give it 30 seconds for your wrist to get sore.

It'd either have to be thicker or provide some kind of crazy handle/palm rest underneath.
  • Reply 30 of 257
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    I predict it will look more like a painter's pallet but with a screen on it instead of well's of paint so that you can more easily hold it while working on it with the other hand.
  • Reply 31 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Remember, it took them years to write it again when they switched from PowerPC to x86 (years with the help of Intel, which they won't have this time), this isn't something that can be done in a short time.

When Apple announced the switch to Intel, Steve revealed that every version of Mac OS X had lived a double life with a complementary Intel version. They had always kept Intel Mac OS X in their back pocket for just such an eventuality. They made have involved Intel at some point when they decided to switch to Intel -- and Steve did say they had an advance look at Intel's processor roadmap -- but in no sense did they require "years of help" from Intel.

But yes, seeing as how iPhone OS already runs on the ARM architecture and Apple owns an ARM chip designer, whatever OS this thing runs will certainly have a lot more in common with iPhone OS than Mac OS X.
  • Reply 32 of 257
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the Cupertino-based gadget maker

Bring on the gadgets!
  • Reply 33 of 257
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It'll be interesting to see what the base station looks like. Maybe Apple is positioning this to be a TV when docked with their subscription service. I'd expect a remote to ship with it then. This could even replace or complement the AppleTV.
  • Reply 34 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

I'm getting sick of this. Nothing could live up to this level of hype. Nothing.

Are you going to cry? Perhaps the internet is not for you.
  • Reply 35 of 257
    I think the form factor will be a wedge similar to the bottom half of the MacBook Air. The wedge shape will allow for easier keyboarding and viewing of content on the screen
  • Reply 36 of 257
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

I predict it will look more like a painter's pallet but with a screen on it instead of well's of paint so that you can more easily hold it while working on it with the other hand.

Yes. I thought something like that when I first saw the One-Laptop-per-child tablet.

http://thevibe.socialvibe.com/index....lim-75-tablet/
  • Reply 37 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

Interesting idea...could be cool - then again that OLPC hoop looks nasty
  • Reply 38 of 257
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I can't see an iPad being as thin as an iPhone. It'd be too thin for a device that big.

Holding it for long periods of time would induce pain in the area between the thumb and pointing finger. The underside of the device wouldn't be able to rest on the entire surface of the palm, resting only on the tips of the four fingers, which would also act as a fulcrum with most of the opposing weight pushing up on the meaty part of the thumb/pointing finger junction.

Try it. Grab a hardcover book about the same dimensions as the purported iPad to see what I'm talking about. And don't forget to "type" on the screen. Give it 30 seconds for your wrist to get sore.

It'd either have to be thicker or provide some kind of crazy handle/palm rest underneath.

You won't be holding it like an iPhone. You could rest it on you arm and hold it with your fingers at the far end. At least for a little while. I imagine it will live on your lap, mostly. I also wonder if it may have a fold out 'thing' underneath to raise it to 20 - 30 degrees. A bit like the old apple keyboards.
  • Reply 39 of 257
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    If this report is true, then the tablet really is nothing more than an oversized iPod touch. That's incredibly disappointing. I think the tablet could have faired extremely well if it could serve as a casual computer users' sole computer, like a netbook can for a college student or facebook-loving grandparent. But without a USB port and SD card slot, the tablet will have to be an expensive accessory to a real computer. Just like that overpriced, poor-selling MacBook Air.
  • Reply 40 of 257
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

I would hope Apple doesn't start a taper that far from the edges. From my experience, devices with tapers like that tend to rock if you tap near the edge of the screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Where is the Apple logo? How can one miss it?

You don't see it?