Tablet to use new 3Qi Display?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
If you haven't read this article from This month's Popular Science, it is definitely worth a read:

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...-paper-forever

Given what I've read in this article, and this is purely speculation, I believe there is a good chance this screen could see the light of day in the new Tablet.

Essentially it is a single screen that can switch between two modes: one is essentially a standard LCD screen, the other is a mode that turns off the backlight and displays only black and white--similar to what we see on the Kindle or Nook.

The article states that the new screen technology will be showing up in products very soon, but the inventor could not mention the companies who's products they would appear in.

I also this its plausible that this technology could appear in the display and could explain the rumored "delays" the product faced due to display issues. Perhaps this new screen was not available when Apple had wished.

Anyways, just speculation, but thought I would get the community's take on this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This screen is good in theory. In practice it's so overrated it's not funny. I personally don't think this should be ready for primetime for another two years.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Interesting. I don't know anything about it besides what the article told me.

Interested to know how it is overrated. Is it one of those situations where since it is trying to do two tasks, it does both but does neither well?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scorby View Post

Interesting. I don't know anything about it besides what the article told me.

Interested to know how it is overrated. Is it one of those situations where since it is trying to do two tasks, it does both but does neither well?

Exactly, this will only be adopted when or if it ever does both takes at least as good as other display do them separately. I'd say it may be a long time before we even get the right display to do what this is "trying" to do.

What we need is a sort of colored e-ink technology that handles colors and blacks like OLED, but that could even be 20 years away.