Why doesn't Apple webcast it's product announcements live?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Given the popularity of Apple's entire product line and the huge number of fans they have, why don't they webcast the product announcements (like the one coming tomorrow, 1/27).

I live on the east coast and would love to watch these things live. I am sure there are very many people who would.

I know that they eventually post a quicktime stream of the event, but it is well after the event is over. I end up finding out what happened from engadget or some similar site that is blogging the event. I would much rather get the info right from the event as it is happening.

I am just curious if anyone has any insight into why Apple doesn't stream these things live?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    It's masterful PR.

Lends an air of exclusivity to the event... causes media/pundits/folks to hype it even more.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Also, it would kill the internet.

C.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I think it's because if you have technical difficulties with ANY tech, even the projector, during the presentation. it makes your technological air of superiority evaporate instantaneously..
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

C.

I fell out of my chair...Laughing. Classic, and True. A double plus. Big Brother approves.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

C.

Well, it surely (almost) killed my eyes, when I was watching stamp-sized live QuickTime coverage of MWSF 2001 on my iMac via 56k modem...

Ah, the good old days... (sorry, feeling some nostalgia tonight )
  • Reply 6 of 14
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    They have WiFi available during the presentation right? And allow cameras as well?

Scenario: 2 guys with iPhones. One records 5 minutes or so, then stops to upload to a YouTube channel. The other immediately begins recording and does so until the other has uploaded the video and returned to his camera. Rinse. Repeat. You'd have a contiuous "live" stream.

Or, just use the free Qik app. Live streaming.

Apple must insist that people refrain from it at some point or I imagine this would already be done.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    or the UStream app.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I miss the live streams, but it did always 'kill the internet'...

I also miss the live satellite feeds they would have at the Apple Stores. The hidden RDF generator in the store made those even more exciting!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I miss the live streams, but it did always 'kill the internet'...

I also miss the live satellite feeds they would have at the Apple Stores. The hidden RDF generator in the store made those even more exciting!

Well, when I start my MegaTechCorp. I'm going to have very special events randomly throughout the year to keep everyone guessing and on their toes. So when I do call for an event the press and public will KNOW that something special is about to be announced.

I will only announce hot new products and never refreshes. Refreshes will just get posted to the website and other outlets.

And anything that I deem worthy to announce at an special event will be shown worldwide via LIVE web stream.

The press will still find value in going just to be part of the live spectacle and to also have exclusive access to me for questioning afterwards where I will hold nothing back.....and to sign autographs.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by durandal View Post

Well, it surely (almost) killed my eyes, when I was watching stamp-sized live QuickTime coverage of MWSF 2001 on my iMac via 56k modem...

Ah, the good old days... (sorry, feeling some nostalgia tonight )

Good times. I'm watching live video on my computer! It must be the future!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Good times. I'm watching live video on my computer! It must be the future!

It's 2010 for pete's sake! I mean, where are my anti-gravity boots??!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    There isn't enough bandwidth or processing power to broadcast it live. It could be broadcasted live to TV but the networks refuse to show the entire thing without commercial breaks and commentary. I know this because about 4 years ago I actually talked to Steve jobs in person about this very thing.

He told me (at the time g4) wanted to broadcast it but with commentary. He said if a network agreed to broadcast it without interruption or commentary he would allow it.

There is no longer enough computing power to handle the amount of the stream, even with Akamai managing the bandwidth.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

They have WiFi available during the presentation right? And allow cameras as well?

Scenario: 2 guys with iPhones. One records 5 minutes or so, then stops to upload to a YouTube channel. The other immediately begins recording and does so until the other has uploaded the video and returned to his camera. Rinse. Repeat. You'd have a contiuous "live" stream.

Or, just use the free Qik app. Live streaming.

Apple must insist that people refrain from it at some point or I imagine this would already be done.

wifi during the presentation. Uhh no. You can barely get cellphone coverage in there for 3G streaming. Quite a few people do stream it to ustream and qik, but only the pros and the channels are private. After waiting in line an hour to get in the event you'll find your mobile is dead.

It's the engadget guys who know how to do a press event. They have 3-4 laptops, $800 extra battery packs, several wifi cards, and a webpage to help them post quickly.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkhead View Post

There isn't enough bandwidth or processing power to broadcast it live. It could be broadcasted live to TV but the networks refuse to show the entire thing without commercial breaks and commentary. I know this because about 4 years ago I actually talked to Steve jobs in person about this very thing.

He told me (at the time g4) wanted to broadcast it but with commentary. He said if a network agreed to broadcast it without interruption or commentary he would allow it.

There is no longer enough computing power to handle the amount of the stream, even with Akamai managing the bandwidth.

Hey, what about that youtube live event? If enough people around the world wanted the keynote to be live it would be made to happen.

All someone in power had to do to make it happen is pick up a phone and tell one his minions "MAKE IT SO!" and it would be done!