iPhone developer agreement mistakenly references 'Jan. 27 launch'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
An unintended update to the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement went live Tuesday with a placeholder referencing a Jan. 27 launch, suggesting an updated iPhone OS could be presented at Apple's product unveiling Wednesday.

The placeholder can be found on the signup for for Apple's iPhone Developer Program and reads: "Need to update this for the 27th launch."

With Apple's Jan. 27th event drawing ever closer, this placeholder suggests that an updated iPhone OS may be presented along side the "confirmed" tablet.

According to McGraw-Hill CEO Terry McGraw, Apple's tablet device will run a variant of the iPhone mobile operating system, which lends credence to the idea of an updated iPhone OS announcement Wednesday.

On Monday, analytics firm Flurry released statistics that possible tablet prototypes were being used on Apple's campus running iPhone OS 3.2, an unreleased version of Apple mobile operating system. This means that rumors of the tablet running iPhone OS 4.0 could be off base.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    So it's not only partners and complementors that let tid bits slip about new product releases. This one's on Apple
  • Reply 2 of 16
    That iOS video is a fake. In the Apple world, light sources always come from directly above, so that drop shadow at an angle is totally wrong.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I think iOS is pretty catchy. Me likes
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Graphics conventions aside, this name change is very consistent with how Apple has worked in the past when a name no longer quite applies to new realities. Apple Computer became Apple Inc. There is another great example, but I just can't retrieve it from my aging memory banks at present. A little help from others?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

That iOS video is a fake. In the Apple world, light sources always come from directly above, so that drop shadow at an angle is totally wrong.

I would bet that it is in fact not fake. How many people called fake on those Mac Mini pictures, and that video leaked last year? It looks very much like something Apple would do.

EDIT: And the video seems to be gone as of this moment, but maybe that's on my end.....
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Try to refresh your iPhone's OS right now - the next refresh date refuses to move past the 27th. iTunes REALLY wants us to auto-check for a new OS tomorrow.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    k28k28 Posts: 5member
    I think this is legitimate, here are the reasons:

1. "iPhone OS" name need changing

2. I think splat paint background meant to be new graphic elements for apple to communicates "Touch"

Just my $0.25
  • Reply 8 of 16
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Another data point: I tried to call Apple to switch my iPhone Developer Program membership from my individual name to my newly-minted LLC. The woman at the ADC phone number said I'd have to call back later in the week, because the system to handle corporate developer memberships has been down for upgrades all week. Whatever's going to happen, it seems like it's going to affect the entire iPhone developer community.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Okay, since we are only hours away from an already confirmed new device (i.e., a tablet), can we stop circulating the rumors? Only a few hours left...please. \
  • Reply 10 of 16
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    What about lies? I can tell a good lie? Want one?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Mine says January 30th
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Try to refresh your iPhone's OS right now - the next refresh date refuses to move past the 27th. iTunes REALLY wants us to auto-check for a new OS tomorrow.

Any significant upgrade to the iPhone OS has always been announced long before it is been made available to download. This gives developers time to test existing apps (and fix if necessary) so nothing breaks when the upgraded OS is released. It also enables developers to create apps that take advantage of any new features provided in the OS and give feedback to Apple.

Even if a new iPhoneOS upgrade is announced tomorrow, it is highly unlikely to be made available for download (except by developers).
  • Reply 13 of 16
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

It's just random chance that your iPhone is set to check then. Everyone's is different. Mine says February 1st.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

I think iOS is pretty catchy. Me likes

I like EthOS or TheOS if we are making up new names.

How about AppOS or ApropOS?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    What is it that suggests this was an "unintended update"? It seems completely intentional and appropriate.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krabbelen View Post

I like EthOS or TheOS if we are making up new names.

How about AppOS or ApropOS?

Krabbelen, sorry those are just terrible names!