Wall Street expects Apple's risky iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

Comments

• Reply 121 of 242
    It probably will sell well, but I doubt it'll really take off until they add some necessary features and the software matures a bit more, ala the iPhone.

I'd like some of these nifty features to make it onto Mac OS X. I can't help but feel left by the wayside on 10.6... they haven't really updated their core apps (except for Quicktime).
  • Reply 122 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

My interweb pokerface.

A pair of deuces -- just as I thought.
  • Reply 123 of 242
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

OK your women like Apple best, but that does not translate into more women buying apple than men buying apple.

True, but it does indicate that the typical male-dominated CE market has a much better balance for Apple products. I think Quadra's point is valid as he said "Apple products are popular with women" which implies a comparison to non-Apple products, not "more popular with women" which might imply a compared to the males.
  • Reply 124 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

show us the numbers, we'd like to see some data backing your statement

Don't women buy more magazines than men too? Isn't this it's appeal -as a big glossy iMag?
  • Reply 125 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Except that there has never been a good handheld tablet.

-or-

Just like every good smartphone has had a physical keyboard and or stylus?

Well thats reall only your opinion. Based on what you thought this Tablet would bring to the table and your comments over the last few weeks not sure how much weight we can put on that opinion.

At least with a Windows based Tablet you get a fully functioning computer. Unlike this where you can't even work on a document and stream music.

Not to mentioned yet again you are chained not only to ATT but to iTunes. A front mounted cam for video would have been nice and maybe Flash, you know what the rest of the world uses.
  • Reply 126 of 242
    After really reading the article I've noticed the following:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With an aggressive $499 starting price point, Wall Street analysts believe Apple's e-reading, game playing, media consuming iPad device is a worthwhile risk that will become a multi-million seller in its first year.

What a predictable analysts

Quote:

Across the board Thursday, analysts were bullish in their reactions to Apple's newly announced multi-touch iPad. First-year sales predictions range from 1 million to 4 million, with potential for growth even further as the market expands and further iterations of the product improve.

Another vague statement to any newly released product

Quote:

Analyst Charlie Wolf with Needham & Company called the iPad "another winner," noting that the device's true potential will not be realized until developers create new software for it on the Apple App Store.

"Apple is a company willing to take risks and define new categories of products," Wolf said. "The iPad is not a revolutionary product. But it has the potential to become one once the creative juices of content providers are unleashed."

How can a device not be "revolutionary" when released but when more software is on the device then it's magically "revolutionary". The analysts should have said " The iPad is the foundation of a new breakthrough category of how we utilize an information appliance." His comments fall along the lines of " the iPhone wasn't revolutionary until the iPhone 3Gs arrived." It's a very presuppose statement

Quote:

Acknowledging that reaction from the tech community has not been particularly enthusiastic, analyst Mike Abramsky with RBC Capital Markets quipped that "not everyone initially liked the Ten Commandments either -- but they endured."

RBC Capital Markets

Abramsky said the $629 starting price for the 3G-enabled iPad, along with an absence of what he called "hoped-for features," may leave some investors skeptical of the iPad -- but they shouldn't be.

"With iPad, Apple creates a revolutionary e-reading, browsing, media, gaming experience," Abramsky wrote to investors Thursday. "Newspapers, Web pages, books 'come alive' with video, animation, color and fullscreen touch."

RBC Seems to get it, from the sound of things.

Quote:

He did note that the lack of Verizon compatibility, absence of a camera, and inability to multitask were disappointing. But Abramsky believes the simplicity of the iPad will be its greatest strength.

He has forecast first-year sales of 5 million, adding 30 cents earnings per share to AAPL stock with an average iPad selling price of $600.

Again it's only so much one can say about a device that isn't even available to the public yet so I applaud RBC for being impregnable about this.

Quote:

Kaufman Bros.

Analyst Shaw Wu noted the $130 premium for the 3G-connected iPad could be a deterrent for potential buyers. He believes the Wi-Fi only version of the hardware could ultimately prove to be the best seller.

In addition to hardware price, Wu said 3G speeds are typically too slow for primary Web browsing. Plus, he said consumers will likely be reluctant to buy an additional data plan if they already have one with a smartphone.

"We see iPad as a new product category that is superior as a shared device in a group setting (such as a living room or meeting) or as an ultra-portable computer," Wu wrote. "Sure, there could be some cannibalization, but it doesn't quite replicate the functionality or for m factor of either device."

The analyst had hands-on time with the device and came away impressed. Wu did not forecast first-year sales, but noted that supply chain checks indicate Apple intends to build 5 million units in its first 12 months, and as many as 10 million units in its second year.

Played it safe and sounds like he'll base his predictions off numbers not postulation

Quote:

Needham & Company

Wolf has taken a long-view with the iPad, noting that the iPod and iPhone both got off to relatively slow starts before they experienced explosive growth. But the iPad has an advantage, he said, due to its access to more than 140,000 applications on the App Store.

Because Apple is defining a new category of devices, sales of the iPad are likely to ramp slowly," Wolf said. "But the $500 starting price point is low enough to attract a sizable portion of the early adopter crowd, consisting of iPhone and iPod owners.

"It's noteworthy that the iPad's initial price is below the iPhone's initial price and not much higher than the price of the first iPod, introduced in 2001. Our best guess at this time is the Apple could sell four million iPads in its initial year on the market, which translates into at least $2 billion of revenue."

Initial plans are for the iPad to only be sold through Apple's online and retail stores. However, Wolf said he would expect the device to see wider availability in the future.

Oppenheimer

Analyst Yair Reiner noted that although the iPad was revealed in a presentation that lasted over an hour, its true use and potential will take some time to be realized.

"It won't happen overnight," he said, "but in time, we believe that what looks today like a big iPhone or amputated netbook or a souped-up photo frame will be revealed as a revolutionary new media device."

He noted that copycat devices will inevitably crop up, but Apple's advantage lies in the iTunes ecosystem. Competitors will have a hard time replicating the 125 million active iTunes accounts with credit cards that Apple has in its camp.

Reiner has included sales of 1.1 million iPad units in the first year in his projections, a total he said is conservative. For the second year, he has forecast 4 million, while checks with suppliers indicate Apple is prepared to ship 10 million units.

Oppenheimer has increased its price target for AAPL stock to $265, from $255.

Broadpoint.AmTech

Analyst Brian Marshall said he believes Apple "surpassed expectations" with the iPad reveal. He had initially forecast 2.2 million shipments in the first year, but said he now believes "an order of magnitude higher number is likely more accurate."

Marshall did a breakdown of hardware costs for the device, and believes the $499 model would cost Apple $290.50 in to manufacture. The high-end $829 model has an estimated component cost of $383, resulting in a gross margin of 54.4 percent.

With margins that high, Marshall said Apple could add as much as $1.34, or 11.2 percent, to its earnings per share with sales of 7 million iPads at a $628 average selling price. The average gross margin of 48 percent would add $4.4 billion in revenue, or $1.3 billion in net income.

Marshall said he did not fully appreciate the iPad until he had a hands-on demo with it.

"While we were impressed with the specs during the briefing given by Mr. Jobs, it was not until we actually used the iPad for ~15 minutes we were convinced this will be another grand slam product for AAPL," he said. "The ergonomics and 'media' experience of the device (i.e. Internet browsing, e-reading and watching videos on the 9.7" screen) stood out the most to us."

Caris & Company

Buy, don't sell, on the news, is the recommendation of analyst Robert Cihra. Like all other analysts, he believes the iPad will be a success, based on Apple's ability to leverage the unique in-house core abilities ranging from hardware and software engineering to the existing iTunes ecosystem.

"We believe investors should be buying AAPL share, not 'selling the news,' with consensus numbers too low and valuation quite compelling," Cihra said.

He noted that Apple doesn't do cheap, it does different, and the $499 competitive price of the iPad will be a strength to kickstart the platform. He also has high expectations for the iBooks app and its accompanying iBookstore.

"Taking a page out of its own playbook, we see no reason why the new iPad+iBookstore can't do for print media what iPod+iTunes did for music," he said, "while we think gaming also holds potential as a long-term homerun."

Bottom Line is their are people who in the investment world and on here who make spurious remarks about the iPad and have no attestation to prove otherwise.

Lets just wait and see during the launch of the device to say our conclusive or naysaying comments.

These discussions need to be abrogated.
  • Reply 127 of 242
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:

True, but it does indicate that the typical male-dominated CE market has a much better balance for Apple products. I think Quadra's point is valid as he said "Apple products are popular with women" which implies a comparison to non-Apple products, not "more popular with women" which might imply a compared to the males.

I agree with him but was providing levity in the second line of my quote due to his chosen third source.
  • Reply 128 of 242
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    the iPad will be huge as long as the software comes fast. i don't see any reason to buy this thing now but if the iWork suite and brushes are any indication of what can be done, this is going to be great.

i just worry that it was released a little too soon. the home screen on the thing looks ridiculous with a few tiny iPhone apps. it needs some sort of widgets or something on there. come on OS4!!!

as for multitasking - everyone here is furious that it's not available, but the iPad is perfect for people like my parents - people who don't know how to use Word, but love to surf the internet, receive emails and see photos of their grandkids.

this is the perfect computer for Apple to release - it's simple. it's like the invention of GUI. [which was terrible at first for power users but is now the standard on 99.9% of computers]
  • Reply 129 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Bottom Line is their are people who in the investment world and on here who make spurious remarks about the iPad and have no attestation to prove otherwise.

Lets just wait and see during the launch of the device to say our conclusive or naysaying comments.

These discussions need to be abrogated.

Bottom liine this has nothing to do with the investment world. Based on real users on this forum and others this was teh thud heard around the world. For the exception of the diehard fanboys this product was a major disappointment.
  • Reply 130 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well thats reall only your opinion. Based on what you thought this Tablet would bring to the table and your comments over the last few weeks not sure how much weight we can put on that opinion.

At least with a Windows based Tablet you get a fully functioning computer. Unlike this where you can't even work on a document and stream music.

Not to mentioned yet again you are chained not only to ATT but to iTunes. A front mounted cam for video would have been nice and maybe Flash, you know what the rest of the world uses.

Functionality comes second to usability. Apple got the latter right at least, it looks like an enjoyable device. No front mounted cam is a deal breaker for me, but that will likely be added later.

Also, I thought HTC had some sort of patent concerning capacitive styli?
  • Reply 131 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the iPad will be huge as long as the software comes fast. i don't see any reason to buy this thing now but if the iWork suite and brushes are any indication of what can be done, this is going to be great.

i just worry that it was released a little too soon. the home screen on the thing looks ridiculous with a few tiny iPhone apps. it needs some sort of widgets or something on there. come on OS4!!!

as for multitasking - everyone here is furious that it's not available, but the iPad is perfect for people like my parents - people who don't know how to use Word, but love to surf the internet, receive emails and see photos of their grandkids.

this is the perfect computer for Apple to release - it's simple. it's like the invention of GUI. [which was terrible at first for power users but is now the standard on 99.9% of computers]

But will your parents choose it over a laptop? Would that not like it because it doesn't have a keyboard? If they don't even use products like Word are they really going to pick a niche product over a notebook? Not sure they would.
  • Reply 132 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Functionality comes second to usability. Apple got the latter right at least, it looks like an enjoyable device. No front mounted cam is a deal breaker for me, but that will likely be added later.

Also, I thought HTC had some sort of patent concerning capacitive styli?

Thats the problem the cam is a deal breaker for you and there are so many functions lacking in this device its not hard for most of use to find a deal breaker. Apple keeing everyone chained to iTunes which has become nothing more then a bloated mess is a deal breaker. However for Windows users that is far less of a problem because we have software to get around that issue. Thankfully.
  • Reply 133 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

show us the numbers, we'd like to see some data backing your statement

Actually women are peeved about the name "iPad" and the menstrual jokes just keep flowing...
  • Reply 134 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Actually women are peeved about the name "iPad" and the menstrual jokes just keep flowing...

• Reply 135 of 242
    Quote:

Thats the problem the cam is a deal breaker for you and there are so many functions lacking in this device its not hard for most of use to find a deal breaker. Apple keeing everyone chained to iTunes which has become nothing more then a bloated mess is a deal breaker. However for Windows users that is far less of a problem because we have software to get around that issue. Thankfully.

2007 wants its talking points back.
  • Reply 136 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm sure they'll forget about it in a few days.
  • Reply 137 of 242
    Quote:

Bottom liine this has nothing to do with the investment world. Based on real users on this forum and others this was teh thud heard around the world. For the exception of the diehard fanboys this product was a major disappointment.

Please I'm a "Fan Boy" of Apples but the ones who are complaining are just showing they had inexorable minds from the beginning.

Each device Apple has now is winnow, for a variety of users (current & new).

I plan to use the device for my photography and plane flights/road trips. That beats bringing out a laptop for such leisure uses.
  • Reply 138 of 242
    Quote:

umm...

I sure am glad that the bearings companies forced all the wheel manufacturers for skateboards to keep that little indent on each side of the wheel the same. too bad they locked us all in or who knows what we would have done.

don't worry about, you don't need to understand anyway
  • Reply 139 of 242
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    For me, someone hearing iPad and immediately thinking about a feminine hygiene product may have it's foundation in immaturity. These are the same folks who use "that's what she said" on a regular basis.
  • Reply 140 of 242
    Quote:

2007 wants its talking points back.

When it comes to the iPad 1990 wants its hardware back.