Instant On / Instant Off - iPad value?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is the weather forecast in South Florida, next Sunday (of course)?



I cought myself using my iPhone to answer this question instead of using my laptop (unibody MacbookPro, Oct 2009). Seconds later I carried on with my conversation.



Instinctively I used my iPhone instead going through the trouble of booting up my laptop. It was on/off in an instant. Time to get to the home screen (not scientific measurements):



- my iPhone: 5 seconds

- my laptop: 64 seconds



I understand I may use the 'sleep' mode with my MBP, but I rarely do. In fact, many of my friends don't either for some reason. I expect to use the iPad in a similar way as my iPhone (or an iPod touch for that matter), so I would get to the home screen in 5 secons or so.



How come people rarely mention the obvious fact that an iPad will be on/off in an instant, something that is less common with a laptop? Do you agree with my point?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    No. I don't agree with your point.



    You say you don't use sleep mode. If you used it your problem would be solved.



    I totally don't understand why some Mac users insist on turning their machines off. The power savings is negligible. The OS doesn't bog down if it's not restarted every day like Windows does.



    So just let it sleep!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhuzzyToes View Post


    How come people rarely mention the obvious fact that an iPad will be on/off in an instant, something that is less common with a laptop? Do you agree with my point?



    I agree its certainly one of the lesser discussed advantages of the iPad but you are right the 'instant-on'-ablity will certainly appeal to a great number of users. now instead of using a new thread I figured I'd post my question here just to see the reactions...



    Does anyone see the iPad replacing a desktop computer of any measurable market segment? Don't laugh too hard... I'm actually curious about the responses I'll get.



    I've got lots of specific examples of people that could shitcan their computer tomorrow and replace it with an iPad and be 1000% more happy.



    - No not computer geeks... we will always have out coveted piles of crap in our computer rooms. Buying the iPad for us would be just so we got to code our own private apps and for some to see if they can get linux booted on the darn thing!



    - No not game crazed kids (and adults) you will live, die and likely be buried with whatever the fastest video card of the day happens to be... I'm not talking about you either.



    But believe it or not our two groups are a very small minority...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    No. I don't agree with your point. You say you don't use sleep mode. If you used it your problem would be solved. I totally don't understand why some Mac users insist on turning their machines off. The power savings is negligible. The OS doesn't bog down if it's not restarted every day like Windows does. So just let it sleep!



    Yes... and you can chant that all you like but some people will feel the need to power down a desktop unit... It's been burned into their brains somewhere along the way and now its stuck.



    my uptime's are sometimes embarrassingly long... and I hack code on this thing.. so that tells you just how stable it (the OS) is... there's only ONE thing that I know that can make a mac behave like crap... but 'click2flash' solves that without even blinkin.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    que?que? Posts: 4member
    MacBook Air over here: always in sleep mode. Why: it takes to long to boot (to my taste). iMacs: turned off if I don't use them. No problems here. It's certainly no iPad advantage. Offtopic: I don't see the need (personally speaking) for an iPad. iPass this time.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhuzzyToes View Post


    How come people rarely mention the obvious fact that an iPad will be on/off in an instant, something that is less common with a laptop? Do you agree with my point?



    People here might not agree with you because they are geeks, I totally agree with your thinking though. Normal users turn off their laptops, I've seen it in action too many times to think otherwise.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,770member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    No. I don't agree with your point.



    You say you don't use sleep mode. If you used it your problem would be solved.



    I totally don't understand why some Mac users insist on turning their machines off. The power savings is negligible. The OS doesn't bog down if it's not restarted every day like Windows does.



    So just let it sleep!



    Keeping a computer on 24/7 could add additional security risks. That may factor into some decisions.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    Is it better to turn it completely off or carry it around in sleep mode?



    Does general shaking and vibration while moving about have an effect?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    No. I don't agree with your point.



    You say you don't use sleep mode. If you used it your problem would be solved.



    I totally don't understand why some Mac users insist on turning their machines off. The power savings is negligible. The OS doesn't bog down if it's not restarted every day like Windows does.



    So just let it sleep!



    Some years ago, I had a laptop that I had put in sleep somehow get jostled awake on my way to work. When I went to grab it about two hours later, it was hotter than the surface of the sun. Luckily, the data was safe but some things were fried. Even Apple had no idea why it didn't automatically shut down once it got hot.



    Ever since, I have always turned off my laptops when going mobile... until I got my MBA and Elecom's MBA bag which fits tightly enough to not allow the lid to open.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I'm in agreement with the poster. People have been going on and on for years about the holy grail being the instant on computer. The iPad pretty much provides that. I think it's a great feature that no one is talking about. (but then, I'm such a fanboy that I actually had a dream last night about owning an iPad, so who can take my opinion seriously???)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    you can also carry your iphone/ipad while listening to music/audiobook/etc. i don't think anyone ever does that with their netbooks.
Sign In or Register to comment.