Apple's iTunes advantage keeps Acer from building iPad challenger

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

At least Scott Lin uses his brains better than this Extremeskater guy, who baffles me with his ignorance.

Unbelievable, this guy really understands zero about Apple and has no problem to show that to everybody.

Instead of making ignorant blank statements at least make an attempt to back up with you have to say.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You are in for Future Shock. And like Joseph Hsu, you will wait. Unlike you, he will know why.

http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html

that article sums up perfectly what I have been trying to express for years to people on why I purchase macs. Who wants to constantly start a machine that has errors popping up and have to work with workarounds because of lack of testing on software/hardware configurations, chasing down drivers, fighting the web experience and worrying if a spam is harmless or its a trojan, updates/revisions that make the machine slower and degrade quicker, and then finally get to work on that photo retouch, sequence a video, design a layout. That is the real work, and windows has made a mockery of personal/professional computing.
  • Reply 43 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rhetoric.assassin View Post

that article sums up perfectly what I have been trying to express for years to people on why I purchase macs. Who wants to constantly start a machine that has errors popping up and have to work with workarounds because of lack of testing on software/hardware configurations, chasing down drivers, fighting the web experience and worrying if a spam is harmless or its a trojan, updates/revisions that make the machine slower and degrade quicker, and then finally get to work on that photo retouch, sequence a video, design a layout. That is the real work, and windows has made a mockery of personal/professional computing.

Your statement makes no sense at all. Owning a Mac is what makes you an expert at finding a work around. When you are running an OS and software that the rest of the world is not running you have to find a work around to what the rest of the world is using.

This entire myth about errors always popping up is just that a myth. Your living back in 1990.

Instead of Rhetoric Assassin you should change your name to "Fountain of Misinformation"
  • Reply 44 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

This entire myth about errors always popping up is just that a myth. Your living back in 1990.

I don't know, at home I am running Vista Ultimate on a Quad Core and I think it is a complete piece of crap. I haven't switched to Windows 7 yet but it certainly wasn't the 90s last year.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And it will fail. Why? Because the techno-weenies like it and they are always wrong about what real users want. You can scream "MULTITASKING" and "1080P" all day long and it means nothing to real users, except the ones who buy technical specs instead of usability and user experience. This has proven to be true in virtually every instance.

my wife who has no idea what flash is was interested. until i told her she can't play farmville on it
  • Reply 46 of 89
    Quote:

Your statement makes no sense at all. Owning a Mac is what makes you an expert at finding a work around. When you are running an OS and software that the rest of the world is not running you have to find a work around to what the rest of the world is using.

Instead of Rhetoric Assassin you should change your name to "Fountain of Misinformation"

After reading the article given I quite agree and would lend my support to to quoted article. It's not 100% perfect/accurate but it is the 'meat' of it. I find the small amount of work around I had to do while I interacted with other people using PC's to be extremely small. An easy trade off for me at least.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

At least ACER gets it, they understand why Apple dominated in the market... again other will try, waste billions of dollars trying to compete and fail.... It is going to be another ipod situation all over again.

Agreed. Since they have no ecosystem, Acer is making the right move to just try and make better and cheaper netbooks and notebooks. But they'll be hamstrung by the needs of (and lack of innovation in) Windows.

Microsoft's failure to provide a competing ecosystem to its Windows partners should be obvious to all.
  • Reply 48 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Agreed. Since they have no ecosystem, Acer is making the right move to just try and make better and cheaper netbooks and notebooks. But they'll be hamstrung by the needs of (and lack of innovation in) Windows.

Microsoft's failure to provide a competing ecosystem to its Windows partners should be obvious to all.

I think this is an overworking of the term ecosystem. What Microsoft has failed to provide is a version of Windows which is truly suitable for a tablet computer. This leaves the hardware makers trying to figure out how to implement Windows in this environment, a task to which the hardware manufacturers are ill-suited. Acer at least knows this.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Ahh, but he wants "choice" - whatever that actually means in this context. He'll struggle on with Windows (and all the frustration that entails) on a 7-inch photo-frame PC tablet, muttering "I have choice" to himself.

The rest of us will get along just fine with Apples "closed system."

And he'll always feel like he could choose Linux at any time ...

Or choose to not use Flash at any time...
  • Reply 50 of 89
    Quote:

Also I'm not sure why on this forum members seem to think its a bad idea to have a version of a Desktop OS on a Tablet. Is certainly would have been better to have a version of SL then a version of the iPhone OS.

I don't know that anyone thinks it's a bad idea, but the hardware to make SL run well would not fit in the iPad form factor (or even netbook form factor); it would need to be more like the current Windows-based tablets or the MacBook Air, and both already exist.

I think it's foolish to expect SL, which really needs at least an Intel Core 2 Duo, to fit in an iPad size and to be usable for 10 hrs on a single charge, which is what one should expect from a mobile handheld.

Quote:

Steve Jobs seems to spend more time defending what this iPad doesn't have then talking about what it does have. That isn't exactly a good sign when you are always playing defense when it comes to your new killer product.

At the launch, Steve didn't defend a thing; he didn't explain why it didn't have flash, multitasking, USB ports, etc. But even you would have to agree that following the launch, many clueless commentators were more focused on what it doesn't have than what it does have. So Steve took the private opportunity to let his employees understand the rationale for Apple's decisions.
  • Reply 51 of 89
    Revised Edit
  • Reply 52 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Yes. But for Apple owners who want content...

I have a MBP and iPhone, and hundreds of songs and movies and ebooks that don't come from the iTunes Store.

For my iPhone, I've found hundreds of free apps that are quite useful. More than can fit on my iPhone at once.

So what's your point?
  • Reply 53 of 89
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You my friend have just defined the adjective of being "Zuned"...

To be 'Zuned' one has to "waste billions of dollars trying to compete and fail.... It is going to be another ipod situation all over again." I would also add, 'while screwing over their "Play for Sure" partners.

Beautiful! I like using the term "Zuned" to mean "getting crushed by Apple". But that's just me I guess...

But yeah, Lin is just doing his wishful thinking out loud. He says that it't not a challenge to replicate the Apple hardware. True, to a point. Making the hardware is the easiest part.

Except for the fact that Apple gets the best prices on flash RAM, thanks to their enormous buying volume. This puts extreme pressure on the flash RAM market, since there is so little flash RAM left for competitors. And that forces their unit price up. Tough on guys like Lin to pay a premium price for flash RAM, since they're all about low cost and low margins.

And, as far as the overall iPad experience, it would be impossible for anyone to replicate that experience in less than 10 years. Why? Because it's taken Apple about 10 years. Since before the first iPod shipped, way back in 2001, Apple has relentlessly worked to build up iTunes, then the iTunes Store with music, then video, then the iPhone / iPod touch, then the App Store, and now the iBookstore. Not to mention iPhone OS, Mac OS X, and the seamless interoperability between all their hardware and software products.

What has Acer been working on in the last 10 years? Cheaper, cheaper, cheaper. No new ideas.

Good luck surviving into the 2nd decade of the 20th century, Acer.
  • Reply 54 of 89
    Quote:

Remember like the iPod and the iPhone this product needs to be marketed more so to Windows users then to Apple only users. Like the iPhone and iPod this is an add on device that will be used by far more Windows users then Apple users. If it lacks the basic features Windows users want and are use to like Flash, Multi-Tasking, maybe a USB port and HDMI port then it has a hard time taking off.

Every day since Wednesday, I've run into at least 2 Windows users per day who already eagerly want an iPad, and Apple hasn't even started marketing it yet. They talk to me about it because they know I have an iPhone. I've responded with things like, "don't you even want to try it out first?" And some have answered, more or less, "No, it looks like what I've always wanted."

The only place I've found negativity is in the forums/comments on the Internet, most of whom are the same people who regularly criticize Apple products, including the iPhone.
  • Reply 55 of 89
    Quote:

Maybe some users don't truly understand the term multi-tasking but it will hit them when they try to work on a Pages document and attempt to stream Pandora at the same time and can't. While they may not understand the term you are a fool to think Multi-tasking in 2010 isn't a basic need.

I agree that there are small number of use cases where multitasking is beneficial. And it would be good for you and all of us to keep pointing out those cases to Apple. But just calling for multi-tasking is not the answer - see Ihnatko's review of Android phones (including his review of the iPad).

Apple could introduce a limited form of multitasking to include streaming, and chatting (IM), that would satisfy most of this perceived need.
  • Reply 56 of 89
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

my wife who has no idea what flash is was interested. until i told her she can't play farmville on it

That's what you get for marrying a 7 year old.
  • Reply 57 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't know, at home I am running Vista Ultimate on a Quad Core and I think it is a complete piece of crap. I haven't switched to Windows 7 yet but it certainly wasn't the 90s last year.

Why? I have a system with I would assume somewhat of the same setup. I fail to see where its hard to use or that awful. Its amazing to me that users have such an issue with this. I can go back and forth from my Windows systems to my Apple systems without even thinking about it at this point.

Vista bad rap mostly came from hardware issues and drivers that weren't ready. At this stage there are no issues with Vista. At least no more then there are with SL.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    Quote:

I don't know that anyone thinks it's a bad idea, but the hardware to make SL run well would not fit in the iPad form factor (or even netbook form factor); it would need to be more like the current Windows-based tablets or the MacBook Air, and both already exist.

I think it's foolish to expect SL, which really needs at least an Intel Core 2 Duo, to fit in an iPad size and to be usable for 10 hrs on a single charge, which is what one should expect from a mobile handheld.

At the launch, Steve didn't defend a thing; he didn't explain why it didn't have flash, multitasking, USB ports, etc. But even you would have to agree that following the launch, many clueless commentators were more focused on what it doesn't have than what it does have. So Steve took the private opportunity to let his employees understand the rationale for Apple's decisions.

That isn't true. Netbooks run Windows XP, and can now even run Windows 7. If a netbook and run a full OS certainly Apple could have come up with a version of SL to run on their Tablet. Thats one of the problems Apple has always had, they are more concerned about looks then function. It would have been better to create something larger even if you went with a 12.1 Tablet and truly allow a product that fits between an iPhone and a Macbook or MBP. Right now all we have is a 9.7 inch iPhone.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Maybe some users don't truly understand the term multi-tasking but it will hit them when they try to work on a Pages document and attempt to stream Pandora at the same time and can't. While they may not understand the term you are a fool to think Multi-tasking in 2010 isn't a basic need.

Which is of course why the iPhone is such a wretched failure. Flash, also.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    Quote:

Every day since Wednesday, I've run into at least 2 Windows users per day who already eagerly want an iPad, and Apple hasn't even started marketing it yet. They talk to me about it because they know I have an iPhone. I've responded with things like, "don't you even want to try it out first?" And some have answered, more or less, "No, it looks like what I've always wanted."

The only place I've found negativity is in the forums/comments on the Internet, most of whom are the same people who regularly criticize Apple products, including the iPhone.

I'm not sure two people a day is all that much for what was suppose to be the biggest product of 2010. If the iPhone 4.0 software will allow the iPad to multi-task then I would consider one. However not being able to multi-task just doesn't fit my needs. As far as everything else I felt should have went into this, I can live without but not the ability to multi-task. Maybe your two a day friends don't understand they can work on something and stream music on the iPad. Once that hits them they may not want one.