One word: Capacity

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why is it the iPad has only a 64 max capacity and that the iPod classic has a 160 GB. capacity?

Is it because they want to limit the storage for some reason?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post

Why is it the iPad has only a 64 max capacity and that the iPod classic has a 160 GB. capacity?

Is it because they want to limit the storage for some reason?

It's because NAND memory is faster and requires less power to run. I think Apple sees the trajectory with small mobile devices that are connected. They understand that cloud storage in conjunction with a small mobile OS means that huge hard drives are not needed.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's because NAND memory is faster and requires less power to run. I think Apple sees the trajectory with small mobile devices that are connected. They understand that cloud storage in conjunction with a small mobile OS means that huge hard drives are not needed.

What is that?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

What is that?

Solid State memory

It's much faster in latency which is important for app launches. I'm thinking that I may be able to get by just fine with the 16GB version especially if iTunes ends up allowing us to listen to our music right from the Cloud with the Lala purchase.

Plus I'm an Evernote Premium user which means most of my documents are available through the Cloud
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Solid State memory

It's much faster in latency which is important for app launches. I'm thinking that I may be able to get by just fine with the 16GB version especially if iTunes ends up allowing us to listen to our music right from the Cloud with the Lala purchase.

Plus I'm an Evernote Premium user which means most of my documents are available through the Cloud

Is Evernote a user of .docx, .xls, or others?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Is Evernote a user of .docx, .xls, or others?

You can upload all of those file formats and video and photo formats as well. It runs a basic OCR on photos so that you can search the text in those uploaded photos.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I create my own private 'WANoip' of 2 fixed iMacs, with big external HDs, and a mobile MBP, with Teamviewer, FREE cross-platform collaboration and remote PC/Mac management software. I get access to all my data from wherever I am, and can also do remote processing if called for.

No clouds for me, thank you.

But the iPad can't run Teamviewer...