Apple allegedly selects new manufacturer for next-gen iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In addition to Apple's existing partnership with Foxconn, a new deal with Asus subsidiary Pegatron Technology is reportedly in place for the manufacturing of the next-generation iPhone.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes reported Wednesday that Pegatron Technology has been selected by Apple for OEM production of the next-gen iPhone, expected to debut this summer. Pegatron will join Foxconn in manufacturing the handsets, industry sources reportedly said.

Officially, Pegatron declined to comment, but the company expects its handset shipments to "grow substantially in 2010," the report noted. The company produces LCD TVs and handsets, and is due to produce Microsoft's Project Natal motion controller sensor for the Xbox 360 this year.

Pegatron was previously connected to the iPhone last fall, when a report alleged that the company would build a new hybrid, world mode phone that would allow calls on both CDMA and GSM networks, granting access to Verizon Wireless in the U.S. The current iPhone manufacturer is Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., better known by its trade name of Foxconn.

This week, AppleInsider reported that sources said a next-generation iPhone prototype was pictured in a leaked photo of the Apple iPad before its introduction last week.

In other Apple hardware news, another DigiTimes report alleges that Genesys Logic has started sampling USB 3.0 controllers for a client, and sources have said that client is likely Apple. Genesys officials, however, have denied any partnership with the Mac maker.

Finally, Radiant Opto-Electronics of Taiwan will reportedly supply 300,000 LED backlight units for the forthcoming iPad. The iPad is due to arrive by the end of March starting at $499, with the 3G-enabled version set to debut a month later with a $130 premium.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    There are some pictures of a probable iPhone V4 !
  • Reply 2 of 37
    looks pretty sweet, has the front facing camera and the cool alum finish people want (me), apart from that doesnt have too many improvements, im not an expert in french but all it has is the ability for external hard drive, possibly apple made chip based on the A4,5 meagpixel back camera, os 4, and some battery feature I cant translate

pretty good, might just be the iphone ive been waiting for to leave my blackberry

the only thing I would add is make the apple apple in the back a LED flash for the new awesome 5 megapixel camera, apart from that seems like an awesome phone
  • Reply 3 of 37
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Pegatron is no one in manufacturing any parts. Their strength is actually in the realm of production management and logistics.

Relations with factories seem being outsourced (if true anyway, DigiTimes is not credibility marvel).
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacAdict View Post

looks pretty sweet, has the front facing camera and the cool alum finish people want (me), apart from that doesnt have too many improvements, im not an expert in french but all it has is the ability for external hard drive, possibly apple made chip based on the A4,5 meagpixel back camera, os 4, and some battery feature I cant translate

pretty good, might just be the iphone ive been waiting for to leave my blackberry

the only thing I would add is make the apple apple in the back a LED flash for the new awesome 5 megapixel camera, apart from that seems like an awesome phone

Also, the volume and mute buttons are on the opposite side of the phone in this picture. I don't know of any reason why they would want to switch that now. Especially with the camera being right there (the back camera).
  • Reply 5 of 37
    they probably put it their to imitate the ipad, apple likes to keep form factors as similar as possible
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solstix View Post

Wow, looks even thinner than the 3GS , or is that my imagination?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

Wow, looks even thinner than the 3GS , or is that my imagination?

It's a mock up. The author said they used images of the iPad and interpolated what a unibody iPhone might look like.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post

Also, the volume and mute buttons are on the opposite side of the phone in this picture. I don't know of any reason why they would want to switch that now. Especially with the camera being right there (the back camera).

Probably because they took a picture of their actual iPhone in the mirror then photoshopped from there!
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

The edges look too sharp. If they build one like this, it wouldn't be as nice to hold in the hand as the current model.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    This mock up does not take into consideration the necessity of a plastic cover of the antenna back side. It is there on both 1st gen iPhone and 3G enabled iPad.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm more excited about the USB3.0 controller news.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Apple won't abandon the plastic I don't think....now that the iPhone is a massive sell with the public, it was no wonder they ditched the better quality aluminum in the first gen iphone then dropped the price for the 3G and ever since....

It probably saves Apple tens of millions to keep a cheap plastic back like they have now and gives them better profit margins too...
  • Reply 13 of 37
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm more excited about the USB3.0 controller news.

I'll second that, and also what about that Lightpeak cable?

Quote:

I do like the unibody design for the new iPhone though, but it will probably look more like a cross between the 3G iPad and an iPod classic for roundness and thickness. Also, I doubt it will have a forward facing camera if the iPad doesn't have one.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post

It's like the iPad. Most of us are right handed. So it's easier to push volume button with our right thumb, don't you think ? It seems logical !
  • Reply 15 of 37
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Apple won't abandon the plastic I don't think....now that the iPhone is a massive sell with the public, it was no wonder they ditched the better quality aluminum in the first gen iphone then dropped the price for the 3G and ever since....

It probably saves Apple tens of millions to keep a cheap plastic back like they have now and gives them better profit margins too...

That is true, but a man can dream can't he?
  • Reply 16 of 37
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:

Nice mock-up; and I really hope the next iPhone looks something like this.

One thing our Photochopper forgot to do is put the black plastic area across the top at the rear -- as per the 3G iPads. Otherwise reception will be really poor...

EDIT: Damn, got well beaten to the plastic strip spot!
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamthecarny View Post

It's a mock up. The author said they used images of the iPad and interpolated what a unibody iPhone might look like.

Absolutely.

There are myriad technical issues in this artist's rendition that make it rather improbable. Cellular performance is pretty bad with metal cases, which is why Apple (and their competitors) mostly use a plastic back. Also, this mockup is too thin for a decent autofocus camera part to be included in the design.

Of course, none of this will matter to the inane fanboys here. They live in an effing dreamworld that has nothing to do with reality, so they will gobble this sh*t up.

Sure is purty though.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Absolutely.

There are myriad technical issues in this artist's rendition that make it rather improbable. Cellular performance is pretty bad with metal cases, which is why Apple (and their competitors) mostly use a plastic back. Also, this mockup is too thin for a decent autofocus camera part to be included in the design.

Of course, none of this will matter to the inane fanboys here. They live in an effing dreamworld that has nothing to do with reality, so they will gobble this sh*t up.

Sure is purty though.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Finding something with Photoshopping skills that can think through a concept logically seems to be impossible.

Though Apple did start using uni-body polycarbonate for the MacBook. Still, I don't think a squared edge facilitates a comfortable grip while adding material, thickness and weight for no reason. A device this small and light doesn't need the reinforcement that would result. It does look cool, though.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    DigiTimes' track record on Apple rumours speaks for itself.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    this may sound dumb but i know nothing about the topic:

cant apple place the antenna towards the front of the device, the black strips on the top and bottom? does the glass interfere with the signal or something?

if its possible then apple should go with something smilar to the mock up

if its not possible then give it a macbook-material-like finish in white or black, or paint it to look like alum